Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » booking question - Tati's "Playtime"

Author Topic: booking question - Tati's "Playtime"
Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-21-2002 06:03 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm trying to book this in 35mm for a nontheatrical show in the US and am having a difficult time tracking down the distributor. Kit Parker used to have a faded print, but he doesn't exist anymore. I don't believe that Swank or Criterion has this title in 35mm, either. Any leads would be appreciated; thanks!

(In case it isn't obvious, I want an English-language print, either dubbed or, preferably, subtitled.)

|  IP: Logged

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2002 06:33 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, unforunately, I don't think you'll have much luck. I projected the Kit Parker print a number of times, and was told that there wasn't another print available for rental in the US. I've seen at least one other 35mm print of Playtime, and it waqs dubbed as well. As I understand it, Tati actually oversaw the dubbing, so it's entirely possible that there never was a subtitled print available in English. Does anyone know which soundtrack, or both, was used for the restored 70mm? I assume the French track. (I'll have to check that thread.)

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2002 07:05 PM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott -
If You succeed in booking Play Time, don't tell it here.
A month ago, i had the deal to run it all alone i Denmark - in 70mm dts and all that stuff. -After consulting the nice Film Tech panel for adwise, i ordered the neccesary equipment, and proudly announced was was to happen.
Some "friends" read it and have now offered a better price for the run, -and my deal is off !
No need for the extra dts gear, and even though, as mentioned here, dts readers are cheaper than new mag heads, the story leaves me a bad taste in my mouth.
Therefore: keep Your cards close - and do enjoy one of the worlds funniest pics ever !

Per
A little more bitter every day - but still here !

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2002 07:10 PM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BTW: Play Time has almost no dialogue - why bother with subtitles or dubbing ?
The two new prints, where of one is going to USA right now, are both 70mm dts, available with traditional dts mix AND speciel venue dts with 5 front speakers and one surround.

Per

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-22-2002 06:09 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This sucks. I love this film and really wanted to book it. Too bad we won't have 70mm capability.

Oh, well, thanks for the info, anyway. At least I've had the chance to see KPF's print when he was still distributing it.

Does anyone have locations and playdates for the 70mm version in the US?

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 10-22-2002 07:51 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott

The three Tati films are now out of print from Criterion.
Maybe try e-mailing them to see if they have any idea on the
location to try about booking "Playtime" in 35mm.

It's just an idea.

You are right it is a wondeful film. I would love to see it
on the big screen also.

Bill

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: