Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Fix my computer! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Fix my computer!
Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 10-17-2002 10:13 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always had good luck with buying generic PC's so this past December I bought a new system from a firm (Cyber Power) a friend recommended. He said I'd get more bang for the buck with a AMD system and recalling a 486 system I had with a non-Intel chip I went that route. Cyber Power is vendor where you configure your own system. I ordered mine sans OS. They assembled it and formated the HD. I installed W98/SE when I got it.

AMD Athlon XP-1900+ CPU
Shuttle AK31A KT-266A 4X AGP motherboard
512MB PC266 DDR RAM (2 * 256)
Leadtek Geforce-2MX 400 64MB Video
HD Maxtor 40GB 7200 RPM UDMA 133 Harddrive
Creative Labs SB Live 5.1 OEM Sound
USR 56K V.90 HW PCI 2676 OEM Modem
ARTEC 16X DVD-ROM EIDE
case/fans/keyboard/mouse etc.

To the above as-built config I added my CD/R/RW burner and the network card for DSL.

The problem I have is that it crashes or locks up constantly. Several times on some evenings. And in many different ways. Programs crashing over and over til reboot. Blue screens of death. Total lockups. Or lockups where the mouse still moves but nothing else. A friend said maybe it was inadequate cooling. I said heck, I'm running with all the covers off so probably not that!

So what can I do with this thing? How can one diagnose it to find out if it's a hardware problem or some weird software problem. I've reloaded the OS several times. I really don't want to switch, especially not to XP. Are there tiny incompatibilities with the AMD chip? What should I do? I'm considering scrapping it and starting over.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-17-2002 10:28 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never had any problems with AMD chips. In fact I greatly prefer them over Intel. I don't think that is your problem. The problem is probably one of the drivers to one of the cards (network card, graphics card, etc) or something like that. You said you reloaded the system many times. Does this include the drivers for each component, or just the OS? Something you have is conflicting with another. Now you just need to figure out what it is. Try disconnecting one peripheral. Does the problem go away? If so that's your problem.... process of elimination. Of course it would be hard to do this with graphics cards, etc. Did the vendor send you the proper software drivers with all the stuff in your unit?

I'm so glad I don't have to deal with drivers.

Why do you have a modem AND a network card?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-17-2002 11:06 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What brand of RAM, not speed, and was it really good high end RAM, or just some generic stuff? And is it really capable of operating at that speed? Alot of RAM out there is very inferior, some I think is even partially damaged when you get it, possibly by static, possibly the dealer just got sent some lower quality stuff, or reject stuff by his distributer. The dealer can never tell unless he can test each stick before it goes into his stock. Very little new hardware goes to waste! That NEVER happens except with high end RAM. ALSO, and this is a BIG ALSO. Many dealers will re-sell you returned components that were returned as defective, tested and they felt it was ok and put back into stock. However, they may not have tested say a CPU under the same conditions, running the same program that was going down, etc. I've been told by many IT techs that this is VERY common. One large computer retailer here in SLC does this. I used to buy from them and was sold a returned CPU once. It was obvious as it still had traces of heatsink goop on it. Got a refund on it and never went back there. Its hard to know when this is going to happen, its inexcusable, but its alot more common than you might think as these dealers sometimes have a 5% or less profit margin!!
You can download programs such as SiSoft Sandra and others that can measure bandwidth of your memory, performance of your CPU, and other hardware in your computer. I had similar problems with an AMD machine I built on an ASUS mommieboard. All it took was some really good quality RAM, in this case I put in Micron, and it never locked up again except in very rare cases. I also stayed away from AMD after this experience. Have not had any major probs with any Intel/Asus, or A-bit based machines I've put together.

There may be those of you that want to support the underdogs as far as CPU's, motherboards, and other hardware but in the last 4 years I've built way in excess of 100 computers and have found that its best to stick with name brand hardware.....I.E.: IBM hard drives, Intel CPU's, A-Bit, or Asus motherboards, etc. Doing so makes things alot more reliable in the long haul. Saving a bit of money on hardware here and there now may only end up costing you much more in the long run with the troubles that will creep in. Many software engineers insist on Intel CPU's for instance as their software is written around the functions of the Intel CPU's, and what it can and cannot do. The SLC area is a major software design center, and at computer trade shows I have had this Intel/Asus feedback on several occasions from software designers.

As a state, last year, Utah had more PC's per person than any other state in the country. Don't ask me why though.........
Most of my computer problems have been bad hard drives, or OS related problems. Rarely a computer based problem. The machine I am typing on now is 3 years old. Dual 1 ghz P3's and running XP Pro.

BTW, you are only using half the computing power available to you with that OS. Runbning a 32 bit system CAN make things alot more reliable overall. Some of your software is probably designed to run under a 32 bit based system. Its not about speed, which does increase normally, but just about reliability, crunching lots of data without crashing. In my case mainly large photographic files, sometimes approaching 100mb per image. Even these photographic files though are small today. But this dual P3 machine never crashes. It also runs 24 hours a day, is in a server case with beefy supply, and has way too many fans and too much Utah desert dust it it.
Mark

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 10-17-2002 11:14 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe I am repeating something here - the other posts are so long I only quickly scanned them. For AMD systems with nvidia graphics adapters you usually need a special mainboard driver as they are optimised for Intel chipsets. I have often seen exactly the symptoms you described. You should find the driver on your mainboard manufacturer`s website.
Michael

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2002 11:19 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would be laery of the interaction of the Video card and the sound card. Also, Mark may have a point in the memory. Check your Bios setup closely.
I have had no problems running AMD as I have a very similiar setup to yours. I run a AMD Athlon 850 with a Geforce video card and 512MB of ram. Changing your operating system will not help you out. It is a hardware issue for sure. Try running your PC in protected mode that you can selectively tell it which driver to load and see what happens. Somewhere in Win98 there is a log that tells you what happened and where and gives you technical details about it which sometimes will help you out. I just cant remeber what it is.
Anyway, good luck with it.

------------------
Samual Hunter Sr.

KC5ZSL

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-17-2002 11:25 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that he has a hardware, and or driver problem. I am only pointing out that a 32 bit OS may bring some new reliability into his system over the 16 bit he is now using. As far as 16 bit systems Windows ME is far more stable than any of the 98 versions. Its designed to run a bit slower for increased reliability.
Mark

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2002 11:31 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, I agree that Win98 is woefully crappy but it should be a lot more stable than what Steve is experiencing. If steve can get it going long enough he may be able to look in MY COMPUTER\SYSTEM\PROPERTIES and look for hardware conflicts and memory reports. I think that was the right path. Damn Allergies are messing me up bad, cant remeber shit. Oh wait thats age. Nevermind.

------------------
Samual Hunter Sr.

KC5ZSL

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 10-17-2002 11:55 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Modem and Network card: I got DSL a few months after getting this system; the problems were there before I got it. Still good to have if DSL drops out and I have one ISP where shell access is only allowed while connecting to their system.

AFAIK, W95/98 are 32-bit OS's with some 16-bit legacy components.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 10-17-2002 11:55 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All of the above said is true but you should really check out the mainboard driver issue. I built up a system with a friend recently, and it crashed all the time until we installed that driver.
One way to see if it is the graphics adapter which causes the problem is to close all applications, maybe unload drivers for network adapter, modem etc. and run a graphics test such as 3D Mark. The system should crash almost instantly.
Michael

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-18-2002 12:10 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm wondering about the use of Win98/SE as the OS for the kind of hardware on this system. For one thing, I am wondering about the AGP 4X rated video card and main board in use with an OS designed for no better than AGP 2X use. Just a hunch on that. Same goes for the use of DDR memory on the main board.

There could be a conflict with the version of USB supported on the board. Does it have USB 2.0? If so, you could have a conflict with the OS there. I put in a USB 2.0 card on my Dell machine, and while the driver would work with Win98/SE, it was not without going through a complex install procedure first. The issue is much easier with later versions of Windows.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-18-2002 12:52 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the power supply adequate for everything in that case? Have you tried swapping it with another one? Are all of the cards and connectors seated firmly?

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 10-18-2002 01:33 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1. I have worked on AMD systems that use nVidia GeForce2MX cards successfully under Win98SE.

2. I wouldn't want to see anything less than a TRUE 350W Power Supply in that computer. A 350W power supply should be heavier than a good 300W power supply if it's the real thing. At an absolute minimum I would have a 300W PS in it.

3. Try under-clocking the processor (yeah I know you paid for that fast chip). This will reduce it's power consumption substantially and is perfectly safe to do. I've done this for people that won't spend any more money on a system they bought with an inadequate PS using Athlon 1.4GHz chips and DDR SDRAM (both of which are power hungry). Dropping those chips to 1040MHz solved the same problem you're having (and also indicated that they needed to spend some cash on a new PS).

Question: Does the system make it through the entire OS install process without any problems. And what is the CPU temp (might be able to check this right after a crash in the system bios under power settings, I'm not sure about that board though).

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 10-18-2002 01:52 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In addition to some of the comments above, better check your motherboard and make sure the jumpers/dip switches are configured properly. Consult the manual for the MB. The setup can be tricky. If you pulled the board out of the box and installed it, it needs someone who knows how to set it up properly. I'll bet that's your problem. If one jumper is not proper, the system will be very unstable. Sometimes a good computer shop that knows how to configure the motherboard will sit down with you and go through the pages of the manual and tell you what the settings and jumpers should be for things such as the CPU speed, DRAM clock speed, bus speed, and all that good crap.

Tech support form the MB's manufacturer can be the key if you are not sure what is going on.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 10-18-2002 02:09 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Daryl,
did those system have the mainboard driver I wrote about installed? Did they come with everything pre-installed?
Michael

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-18-2002 02:43 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
All good ideas to check on this thread. Personally I would attack the BIOS and try underclocking the processor first. I've had this same problem before many times and frequently you will have to get some updated drivers for things to work at full speed. Go to the manufacturer's website and check their forum and download section. It won't take long for people to report the problem.

Second I would check the RAM. You got DDR ram which is great. Nothing beats Crucial brand registered ram, but have had very good results from Micron as well. I have had many other brands including generic brand ram in the past and it was a nightmare.

Just an FYI, make sure all of your cables are tucked to the side so that the airflow from the front to the rear of the case is not restricted in any way. Also, use the processor manufacturer's heatsink/fan so you don't void your warranty. If you run with the side of the case off, you are actually defeating the purpose of the cooling fans by allowing the air to sort of wander about instead of being forced by the components. (You did put one to blast air out the rear, right?) Always run with the panels on. With that, nothing beats an Enlite case for ease of assembly/disassembly.

Anyway, that's what I'd check first. Now that you have read to the end of this post, your warranty on my advice has expired.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: