Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » MAC Computer Durability (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: MAC Computer Durability
Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 10-14-2002 01:07 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Picture got corrupted.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 10-14-2002 08:05 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Much like the image you tried to post.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2002 10:34 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He must have tried posting from a Mac .

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2002 10:40 AM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe that compression was a little bit more effective than first imagined.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-15-2002 11:25 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah Dustin, Macs suck, they can't do ANYTHING right. HA ha ha hah aha hahaha you are soooo funny!

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2002 12:54 PM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Joe is FINALLY catching on!

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2002 01:41 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Watch out!
When Joe does that ten-finger Voodoo-in-your-face thing,
he's Redi Fer ANYTHING!

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2002 01:42 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A little sensitive Joe? Just a joke.

The only thing that annoys me about Apple are the stupid commerials. They get thsee complete idiots to say, 'drr, I couldn't work my PC so it must have sucked.'

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-15-2002 01:47 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Better be careful Dustin, Joe is proudly responsible for 99% of all Windows viruses. He may unleash one on you!

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-15-2002 02:52 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know it was a joke Dustin, but those jokes and even Windows jokes just get old. I don't make fun of Windows anymore... why bother? No one cares if I don't like Windows. My point is that those jokes have lost their humor and don't take much thought to come up with.

Plus I can make fun of you all I want. You don't have a picture so therefore you deserve it!

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 10-15-2002 03:11 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad must have fixed the picture.

Anyway, on the more serious side, I put 7 of those MAC computers with monitors and printers outside with a big "FREE" sign on them. With the idea of someone helping themselves, I thought the pile would disappear. No such luck. Nobody seems to want them. It is a shame, because they are probably good machines. I really don't want to toss them in the dumpster.

The printers are apple Lazer Printers, industrial strength, I might add. Is there a way I can make those printers compatible to PC's without too much problem? If so, I will definately "rescue" them.

Thanks - Paul

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-15-2002 10:04 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I could be wrong on this, but I could have sworn Apple has made Windows compatible drivers for its other hardware items like printers and monitors in the past. Perhaps they are not doing that now with their Apple branded flat panel displays (since they have a different digital connector). But I do remember seeing such Windows supported compatibility in the past.

As per the Mac versus PC things, its all a bunch of baloney. Both platforms have their own share of pluses and minuses. The over-generalized comments about what PCs cannot do in the "switch" campaign from Apple really get on my nerves. Windows PCs can do graphics, video, print work, scientific work and lots of other stuff in spite of what the "switch" ads claim. It is just that some things available on the Mac side allow you to do many of those tasks more easily. I could get Avid or Pinnacle Edition software for authoring video on the PC. But I think I would be better served getting the Final Cut Pro deal on the Mac side.

If Apple wants to slam Windows, they need to do it in the right way. Bust Bill Gates on Windows having so many security flaws, with Outlook Express being the chief culprit of them all. And then brag about some of the Apple-only "killer apps" like Final Cut Pro. Finally, let PC users know that many game developers, such as Id Software, are now producing games for the Mac.

That is going to sell more systems than the typically inaccurate, sickening mudslinging typical of so many Apple ad campaigns in the past. Steve Jobs needs to just cut out that negative shit already.

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2002 10:21 PM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The printers are apple Lazer Printers, industrial strength, I might add. Is there a way I can make those printers compatible to PC's without too much problem? If so, I will definately "rescue" them.

There might be a way. There's a company that makes a device that converts Ethernet to AppleTalk. I think it sells for around $100. Any computer store that sells Mac should know the device. Using that device should work with an Apple Laser Printer, providing you have an appropriate Postscript driver on the Windows computer for that printer. But...if those printers are really old, it might not be worth the trouble.

And I'm not surprised that no one wanted those computers. The one in the picture looks like a Mac 6100. The earliest 6100 came out in 1994 and was discontinued in 1995. It was a 60MHZ machine and the Hard Disk was only 160MB. A single high-resolution Photoshop image can be that large.

The last 6100 series machine was a 6100/66/AV. It operated at 66MHZ and the largest hard disk available for it was 500MB, although most machines came with 350MB. It had a double-speed CD-ROM drive. It was discontinued in August of 1995.

The machines now deserve the fate indicated in that picture. But I have to confess, the machine looks like it held up really well under that truck tire.

As far as Mac vs. Wintel, I've used both for many years and personally, I greatly prefer the Mac with one UI exception: Mac OS has never gotten the mini-finder right. Windows got it right starting with Win98.

I happen to love their advertising campaign. For the first time in many campaigns, it actually contains some reasons to buy a Mac other than the fact that it's cool looking. But I also liked the ill-fated Lemmings campaign. I hated those ads that did nothing more than show an I-Mac in the color of the day spinning on a turntable. And I thought the ad of the kid on the airplane who takes up two tray tables to play music was also pretty stupid. Who is going to do that in real life?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-15-2002 11:48 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, that tire looks familiar. I am pretty sure it tried to run over one of my dogs last summer. I think I've seen those tread marks right on my own block!!
Mark

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 10-15-2002 11:52 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If Apple wants to slam Windows, they need to do it in the right way. Bust Bill Gates on Windows having so many security flaws, with Outlook Express being the chief culprit of them all.

Considering Microsoft is a fairly large shareholder of Apple (22% or so) I don't think Gates would appreciate such an ad compaign. Too bad.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: