Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » About Spaghetti Westerns (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: About Spaghetti Westerns
Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2002 06:56 AM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found the following detailed description of the history of the spaghetti western at the following page:
Link

When you think about it, the commercial success of foreign films in the US has waned somewhat in recent years. One wonders whether the Europeans are still actively pursuing the market?

The formula seems simple enough. Take a couple of high profile American stars, add a few locals (Italians will do), film in Spain or somewhere that looks like the US, change the names of any Italian people to English sounding names, get a good plot with a little European spin and then do a high quality dub of all the actors with American voices.

The spaghetti western was simple and fun. It was also stylistically different from US fare but it worked.

When will the Europeans get their act together an provide the US with some competition?

cheers Peter

|  IP: Logged

Thomas Hauerslev
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2002 08:36 AM      Profile for Thomas Hauerslev   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Hauerslev   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wonderful page about "Westerns". "Old Shatterhand" was filmed in
MCS-70 Superpanorama (65mm - no less). Cameras and lenses by Norwegian/German Jan Jacobsen.

Film maker Paul Gerber once described Danish film industry to me like this: "The difference between American and European film industry is that you don't have one". To some extent he's right - at least where Danish films are concerned. Most of our productions are Government founded!!

Many US films are actually made in Europe and many US films are re-makes of European films (Mostly French) because a large fraction of US filmgoes (most of them I'm led to believe) doesn't understand foreign languages. Sometimes the remakes don't improve over the "Americanization" - only "bigger and louder".

Examples of EU films remade in the US: "Three men and a Baby", "Breathless", "Cousins", "Down and out in Beverly Hills", "Point of no Return", The Birdcage", "Insomnia", "Nightwatch", "Scent of a Woman" and "Vanilla Sky" to name a few.

The recent trend in this country is to make "Danish" films in English like "Smilla's Sence of Snow", "Dancer in the Dark"*), "It's all about Love" and "Braking the Waves". Personally I don't like Triers films, but I feel that in order to raise money to make the films, they have do them in English. So much for our culture - or is it globalization acted out in the movies.

*) Filmed in Sweden to double for the US with Icelandic star and directed by a Dane - confused?

Finally, does it matter where the films are made, or must they nessesarily be made in the country where the action takes place? In that case how about "Star Wars" and the like?

------------------
Cheers, Thomas
www.in70mm.com
www.dp70.com
www.70mm.dk

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 10-09-2002 10:16 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Sometimes the remakes don't improve over the "Americanization" - only "bigger and louder".

Agreed, but the Western is purely an American genre. Sergio Leone loved them. So do I... my favorites are B-Westerns. Especially the Wayne Lone Stars and Hoppy (Wm. Boyd).

The Clint Eastwood/No Name trilogy is great! The Spain locations definitely give them a "mood".

------------------
Better Projection Pays!

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 10-09-2002 10:28 AM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim, Ditto - I like they way you think. I grew up with the early westerns, Hoppy, Roy and Gene and don't forget Red Rider and Lash LaRue.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 10-09-2002 11:26 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as americanization of foriegn films, sometimes it is the only way to get a good film to the US market, as MOST people will not view foreign language films. If they have to read subtitles or listen to nasty dubbing, people don't want it.

Sometimes the recreation is actually quite good. Sometimes it is good, but not quite as good as the original foreign language film.

Many films now are coming out of Australia for production now. As Peter Jackson found in pre-production for the Rings trilogy, that down under you get three times the production for your US dollar. So when they spent $180 million dollars for the production of the three movies, they would have spent three times that if filmed in the states, or in other words, $540 Million Dollars!!! That is why much of the Matrix and its sequels are produced in Australia, to get more bang for the buck. The original movie only cost $50 million to produce as a result of its production location.

In comparison, DEATH TO SMOOCHY, also cost $50 million to produce. That film should have cost no more than $10 million, TOPS. But it was produced here in the US, where we have very tight union controls on production and the costs skyrocket if you want to shoot a film as SAG/AFTRA production.

I think that foriegn films are due for a big hit in this country. We have been deluged with crap for years, and people are really starting to see that the markets outside the states rarely get hit with this level of crap, and maybe just maybe it is worth a look.

Dave

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 10-09-2002 02:18 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bob, were you a front-row kid?!! Right, and let's also not forget Windy/Gabby, Lucky, Frog, and Fuzzy Q. Jones.

Aren't B-Westerns great? High action and adventure, and perfect escapism! If they could only make movies like that today. Would've loved to see them on the theatre screen. I did have a 35mm print of Lash LaRue in "Stage to Mesa City", but it was in bad shape, and a decent 35mm Gene Autry "Strawberry Roan". Still, I never got to see them on the big screen.

Keep the flame burning, saddle pals!

------------------
Better Projection Pays!

Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2002 07:51 PM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave

Dubbing doesn't have to be nasty. Although I'm not a big fan of dubbing there is good dubbing and bad dubbing. Bad dubbing is when you get one person to do several different voices in the one film. Good dubbing involves careful timing and the use of a range of good native voices carefully chosen.

I have found the dubbing in Sergio Leone films I have seen thus far to be quite acceptable. After a while you grow accustomed to it. Certainly many overseas audiences have become accustomed to seeing english language films dubbed into the native language. I think that if a quality dubbing is good and the film itself is good enough to appeal to a native audience then it can work. Perhaps Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon proves my point.

The problem as I see it is that the Europeans need a concerted strategy to crack the American market. They need to get together and produce a series of films good enough for people to watch them and then aggressively market them in the US. After a couple of years of successful films the market should get accustomed to watching films from overseas.

Another strategy might be for an overseas Government to buy a film chainin the US and then offer 2 for 1 deals whereby patrons get to watch a US film and a foreign film on the same bill. This might help start getting US audiences interested in foreign product.

I thought that 'No man's land' was a step in the right direction in getting a couple of English actors to head the bill. The difficulty was that subtitles were necessary to due to multilingual nature of the films.

I'm surprised that Taxi and Taxi II weren't agressively marketed also. These two films are as good and as commercial as you can get and are arguably classics of their genre. I'm surprised that an American version hasn't been made yet also.

Returning to the topic, the time seems ripe for a return to the spaghetti western. Audiences need something different and it would be great to see a followup to the Good the Bad and the Ugly. Hopefully Clint would be prepared to do it.

cheers Peter

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2002 10:08 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Thomas asks,
<< Finally, does it matter where the films are made...?>>

Well, it certainly matters to the production unions!
In the US, there is constant discussion about Hollywood films being shot abroad, even in Canada (ironically, the I.A.T.S.E. is international, US/Canadian) where wages are lower and the exchange rate makes production cheaper for US studios and investors. In some countries the armed forces can be rented for far less than paying American extras, and camera crews, carpenters, costumers and actors can be hired for much less than US union wages. This really bugs out-of-work actors and technical crews--and their families--in the U.S.!

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 10-10-2002 01:22 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When the Spaghetti Westerns were filmed, the Western had already become a very classic genre, like Italian Opera. It didn`t matter if they were in any way realistic, all you needed was hats, guns and horses. Other European countries produced Western movies, too. There was a series of German movies about a German railroad engineer who goes to America where he is known as "Old Shatterhand" and his Indian friend "Winnetou", chief of the Apache. They were filmed in Yugoslavia. Even the GDR produced Western movies. They were probably the first in which the Indians (or Native Americans) were the heroes fighting the Imperialist aggressors who took their land.
Somehow I think that those films were the first signs of the downfall of the European movie industries. The Italians made many adventure movies set in the classical Roman and Greek world in the 50s and early 60s. When audiences got tired of them, they didn`t know better than turning to tested American genres instead of developing their own.
One of the main reasons there are few big European productions now is peobably that they failed to cultivate specific European genres over the last decades. If there are any bigger German productions, they are almost always set in the Nazi time because other eras don`t seem to provide a spectacular background for a big movie. The production costs are also very high and so it is a big risk to produce a movie which might not do well on the international market which is tuned to American tastes.
Looking at the British film industry, you see that most British films are small productions too. British actors/writers/directors have to go west if they want to go on to a larger scale. The only big-scale British productions are the Bond movies, and they are based on a recipe developed in the 60s.
The only exception to this is France, which regularly turns out really good and interesting movies. But even those rarely make it to the international market but unfortunately often get remade in the US.
Michael

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 10-10-2002 01:50 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And example of very bad dubbing is the DVD of Run Lola Run. IT IS NASTY!!!

Dave

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 10-10-2002 04:10 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dubbing is for idiots only anyway. Does that also mean that I think that the majority of Germans who watch everything dubbed in German are idiots? Absolutely! The original voice and expression is as much part of the performance of the actor as the visual acting. Dubbing destroys that completely. A translation can give only a vague approximation of the original content because in every language just how you word and phrase is so very important. If you subtitle a movie, you don`t miss part of the meaning, as many people say since the subtitles can only give a summary of the text, because you can`t translate the exact meaning anyway, but with subtitles the voice, tone, accent etc. are preserved.
Part of the reason European movies aren`t accepted in the US and have to be remade is probably that Americans don`t seem to be interested in finding out what is going on in other countries.
Michael

Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2002 06:53 AM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael

It pains me to admit it but there is a place for dubbing. For those people who can't read or whose eyesight is not 100% dubbing is quite a useful tool.

I don't think dubbing itself is the evil - rather bad or cheap dubbing is the evil. The problem is simply that much dubbing of European films is done on the cheap and it ruins the film. When a dubbing outfit does the job properly and takes time and care to reflect the feel and inflexion of the original voices the results can be acceptable. This involves careful mixing of the original soudntrack and attention to audio detail something that takes time and money.

Personally I prefer to see films with their original soundtrack because nothing is as good as the original soundtrack but if dubbing is the only way to get Americans to watch foreign films then I support it if well done.

cheers Peter

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 10-10-2002 07:34 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, the work of German dubbing studios is very good. Many say they are the best in the world. Probably true, but I still hate it. I don`t want to see people in New York speaking German. It is grotesque. It is like watching a silent movie and listening to a German audioplay - that`s what it really is. Or imagine a movie shot in, say, Berlin where they have taken down the street signs, replaced them with English ones and say it is New York. Would you buy it?
I also prefer to watch movies in the original version when I don`t understand the language. With subtitles of course! For instance, I am a big fan of the Hong Kong cinema even though I don`t speak Cantonese at all. It is a very important part of the movie`s athmosphere.
Your original post made me think a lot about why the movie industries here don`t really compete with the US. But it is a very complex subject, and I haven`t found a simple answer yet.
Michael

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 10-10-2002 07:40 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know why anyone would want to listen to Lola Rent (Run Lola Run) in a dubbed version since the dialog is fairly minimal.

As for the spaghetti westerns (mostly filmed in Techniscope!) the dubbing is a deliberate part of the effect. Leone grew up watching US westerns in dubbed versions so he tried to create the same sort of disconnected sense when he made his own movies. Note also that when those were made the traditional archetypical American western was for the most part out of fashion. Leone's films turned the ordinary western convention on its ear. Bad guy or semi-bad guy as protagonist etc. It was like a breath of fresh air for a tired old genre. (Later there would be other revisionist westerns, too, like The Wild Bunch.)

Let me put in my vote for The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. Some years back Mark G and I had an opportunity to screen an IB Tech print of this film and while a little grainy from the 2-perf negative, with the color and contrast of dye transfer, WOW, it was like you were there. It ranks among my favorite movie viewing experiences of all time.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 10-10-2002 07:59 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are probably right there, Steve. In that time, Italian movies were ALWAYS dubbed, even if they were Italian productions. It just was not customary at Cinecittą to record the dialogue on the set. There were many foreign actors, especially Germans, French, or Americans (such as Steve Reeves - "Hercules") who played their parts in their own language alongside Italian actors and whose dialogue was then dubbed in Italian.
Maybe the Spaghetti Western were the first deliberately "trashy", proud-to-be-B pictures in movie history.
But I don`t think they can ever come back. They were a phenomenon of their time. Maybe someone does one as a hommage to the genre like "Raiders of the Lost Ark" is a hommage to 30s and 40s cliffhangers. Eastwood probably already delivered his contribution with "Unforgiven". It is not a Spaghetti Western, but it clearly reflects his earlier roles.
Michael

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: