Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Krull is Wrath of Khan in disguise!!!

Author Topic: Krull is Wrath of Khan in disguise!!!
Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 10-09-2002 03:17 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The movie Krull, released one year after the Wrath of Khan (Star Trek 2), has nearly the same exact soundtrack, both composed by james horner.

True he borrows from himself quite often, but because of the production schedules of both shows, it seems that all he did for KRULL is to take the KHAN soundtrack, add a secondary theme to it, and PRESTO, a score is born.

Watch the movie and you will see and hear exactly what i mean.

Dave

|  IP: Logged

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 10-09-2002 05:29 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of all the Trek movies, I think "Star Trek II" has the best score. The main title theme has a wonderful energy.

As for the movies themselves, I think "Khan" wins there again. It's a wonderful script.

So, how'd you happen to be watching "Krull"?

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2002 08:38 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the movie "Krull" and I too noticed the similarity of the soundtrack. I like James Horner but he did tend to stick with the same format from time to time.
I like Danny Elfman as a composer, especially his first score in PEE WEE's big adventure, (One of my guilty pleasures).

------------------
Samual Hunter Sr.

KC5ZSL

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 10-09-2002 09:01 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like Danny Elfman, too. But his style is even more "distinctive" so each new score tends toward seeming like a repeat of all his other work at times. Having said that, I will now add that I found his music over the "Spiderman" opening credits to be one of the more thrilling scores I have heard in ages.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 10-10-2002 01:55 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How I managed to be watching Krull? I was up studying for another licensing exam (state insurance) and it came on. I had seen it when it came out, but it had been so very DAMN long.

I loved the movie, but too bad the production was hindered by the fact that there really was no way to truly bring the movie to life with the technology of the day.

The soundtrack is just so eeeerily the same.

Ditto on Elfman. He has such great ability to change his themeology from film to film, giving each his own flavor. He had that same effect with Oingo Boingo. I met him after a concert once back when I was a lowly arena security guard. Very nice person, but on stage, somewhat of a lunatic.

Dave

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2002 07:25 PM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always thought that "Star Wars" sounded almost exactly like "Born Free."

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-10-2002 07:34 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that parts of the soundtrack to "Aliens" sounds like Star Trek 2 as well. I guess I'd probably never hire James Horner to compose if I made a movie since I wouldn't want my movie sounding like other movies.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 10-11-2002 02:25 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is why they keep going with Jerry Goldsmith. At least he can keep it original, and beautiful. Still not my cup of tea MOST of the time, but he did a good job on First Contact.

Dave

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: