Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Red Dragon runtime

Author Topic: Red Dragon runtime
John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 10-03-2002 04:09 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Continuing the Red Dragon thread from FITA...
----------------------------------------------------

Sorry, I didn't time it precisely. I believe Universal's number of 125 is close to accurate. The 7 reels were not full, and it was somewhere in the neighborhood of 2h5min. Remember, Jason, that it's not about the math, because it's extremely rare for all reels to be full. The best you get is an upper bound.

[ Well, I suppose it might be interesting to get some stats on the average reel length of films and do statistical analysis...]

--jhawk

|  IP: Logged

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2002 04:25 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John,

It *is* a rarety that all reels are full, but, for the most part, a full reel constitutes 20 minutes. I'm just worried that the set times (from our home office) will not give us enough lay over time to "spill and fill" the houses. But, that makes all the sense in the world seeing that those responsible for setting times often forget that we're cleaning up after a few hundred people after each show, and the fact that we have an average of 12-15 minutes of trailers/ads to add to the true run times.... AGhhhhhhhhh.

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2002 05:44 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I posted in the feature info thread:

UK runtime is 124m 32s

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 10-03-2002 08:23 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes, on shows that don't have enough time in between, it is useful for 5 minutes of trailers to magically fall of the platter without head office being informed if they aren't willing to allow more time between shows.

Wes Hughes
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-04-2002 02:38 PM      Profile for Wes Hughes   Email Wes Hughes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A full shipping spool is more than 20 minutes on thinner polyester stock.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-04-2002 03:25 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To be pedantic: a full shipping spool (reel) constitutes more than 20 minutes with acetate- or nitrate-base stock, too.

2000 feet / 90 feet per minute = 22.2 minutes.

This is to say nothing of over-full shipping reels (not a pleasant thing to deal with, of course) or thicker mag-striped prints.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: