Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Bugbear virus warning (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Bugbear virus warning
Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2002 02:36 AM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all

Just a quick warning for people to be on the look out for the bugbear virus.

For most of this this will not be a problem - we either don't use outlook or we have a good virus scanner (this should be mandatory).

However even then software can be vulnerable. Recently I experienced a case of the bugbear virus on a standalone I was working on. I received an email titled 'greets' and as soon as I opened the email the virus was activated. It didn't require me to open an attachment. Just opening the email was sufficient to activate the virus.

The curious thing was that at the time there was a tsr-resident virus scanner running and it didn't pick up the virus, either immediately or on a scan.

At home I run an anti-virus program called AVT which is very effective. It is a tsr-resident scanner and does pick up the bugbear virus. I recommend it highly (no I don't have shares in the company). I received the bugbear virus today and the scanner killed it off immediately.

This is a particularly nasty virus in that it can copy keystrokes and give a hacker access to those keystrokes eg you might have typed your credit card number.

Full details are available on the following link. The page also includes a small program put out by sophos to clean your system of the virus. It would be worth downloading it and checking as your virus scanner may not have picked up the virus.
Click Here

I might add that the above virus has been spreading very rapidly over the past few days.

cheers Peter

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 10-03-2002 08:50 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This one certainly seems to have spread very quickly: I've had two or three a day since Monday.

However, according to the SARC write-up, the viral code cannot be executed other than by running the attachment. But the fact that I've had so many of them suggests to me that this one is somehow managing to run itself without the user needing to do anything. In Microsoft Outlook (which I use for email at work), I get a box saying 'do you want to open the attachment or save it to disc?' whenever I open an infected email. This message appears even if I don't click on the attachment. At home, Norton picks up the infected emails before they're downloaded, so I haven't seen how Eudora would react.

Does this mean that there is some HTML code or an ActiveX control built into the e-mail text instructing the computer to run the attachment even if the recipient does not click in it?

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 10-03-2002 08:44 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Attatchements can be executed in Outlook by simply transfering focus to that message. This is especially bad if an infected virus is the last one to be downloaded, as Outlook will automatically switch focus to it when you open the Inbox. I know of many people that had problems with the virus being run because of this on Monday, before Symantec released updates Monday afternoon.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 10-03-2002 10:22 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's why I hate Outlook Express. The attachment comes in a form of a damn envelope. If the envelope is open, "surprise!"

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2002 10:54 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can tell outlook to download the header only and also not to automaticaly open the message if its highlighted for 4-5 seconds or whatever.
I had to do this on my wifes account on my PC due to Klez here while back. Thank God for McAffee.

------------------
Samual Hunter Sr.

KC5ZSL

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 10-04-2002 12:50 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I never picked up a virus in AOL's email. I had some crap come through my computer at work and it stole my AOL passwords, but that came through the network at work. I found the aggressive computer, and formatted the drive. Then I dumped the power and removed the CMOS battery for a few minutes to make sure the computer was "dead." I was not concerned with "Flash Bios", as the computer was too old, and didn't have that feature incorporated.

Other than that, no problems.

David Rigby
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-04-2002 06:14 AM      Profile for David Rigby   Email David Rigby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another approach to this problem is to limit the security settings in outlook so HTML mails can't run script. Also, if you have a firewall, remove all rules related to outlook express and hit 'send/receive messages'. Recreate the rules only for your specific mail server and the exact ports used for mail, denying everything else. That way you don't have problems with things getting a hook in outlook and 'calling home'. Your mails will also open faster since any HTML mail with millions of images won't be able to contact the server to download the ***** things.

David

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-04-2002 06:36 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam, can you elaborate on the settings in Outlook please? You are speaking of Outlook, not Outlook Express, right?

Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-04-2002 07:36 AM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I received yet another instance of the virus today. I didn't open the email but immediately AVT saw that the virus was trying to get access to my disk and queried me as to whether I should allow it or not. Naturally I said no and deleted the email.

From my experiences over the past few days I'd say that this virus is spreading like wildfire.

Check out the following
Media Article 1
Media Article 2
Media Article 3
Media Article 4

I might add that the rating of the seriousness of the virus has been upgraded for the second time. Believe me - it's nasty.

If it continues at this rate can you imagine how many infected emails we will be receiving per day by the end of this week? At one stage I got up to about 7 Klez emails a day. This could surpass that.

cheers Peter

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 10-04-2002 01:17 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I have an almost pathological hatred of Outlook and OE, too. That's why I use Eudora at home with the 'Disable exectuable content in HTML' option selected, but at work I don't have a choice.

Brad: A PC's Internet security settings apply to both Outlook and OE. On Windows 2000 you get at it through Start - settings - control panel - Internet options. Click on the 'security' tab, select Internet and then press the 'custom settings' button. I'd then be inclined to disable (or set to 'prompt') pretty much everything in the list you'll then see.

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-04-2002 01:29 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry for the delay in getting back. Lili kept me a little busy.
Anyway, this is a couple of methods I used;
In Outlook Express click "Tools\Options\Read" uncheck the box marked "Mark message read after displaying for 5 Seconds" and also uncheck "Automatically download message when veiwing in the preview pane".
This should keep you from unitentally openening the door to these bad guys.

------------------
Samual Hunter Sr.

KC5ZSL

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2002 03:44 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

My bugbear virus arrived today in an attachment to a message from Microsoft with a subject announcing a new policy in accessing newsgroups. Since I haven't been able to access them since I began with MSN a couple of years ago, and my inquiries were answered with "...Microsoft Network does not support newsgroups..." I was tempted to read this happy announcement. But the screen was framed
by a red McAffee virus warning around the attachment, asking me to clean it, or if that was found impossible, to delete it and substitute
a clean copy.[???how???] Needless to say, it couldn't be cleaned or deleted, until I closed the window and then deleted the message with the attachment inside. The message included an abstract of the content of the attachment, which was about users of a certain program being asked their passwords when trying to access newsgroups.
Not what I was hoping for, but I'm thankful to McAffee!

Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2002 04:31 PM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is one reason that I like my ISP, APK Net Inc.. They offer virus scanning of my email before I ever receive it. I have received several notices in the past few days that I have received emails with Bugbear. But it is purged before I can possibly open it.

Of course I also run antiviral software on my machines.

Plus it helps to use Macintoshes.

Ray Brown
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2002 01:12 AM      Profile for Ray Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Ray Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The #1 rule I learned is not to open attachments from anybody unless you are actually expecting them to send you a specific file.

If you use Outlook/Outlook Express, be sure to disable the preview pane so the self executing viruses like Bad Trans don't infect your computer.

I use Poco Mail because I don't trust Outlook or Outlook Express. Poco mail lets you preview your headers on the server with out downloading. Anything that looks suspicious or spam gets deleted directly off the server. My main POP3 account got bomb with the Klez virus this summer and this feature really came in handy.

If you do download something accidently (like Bad Trans) it won't self execute like it does with Outlook/Outlook Express.

I think every ISP should have a virus and spam filter. It would really help to eliminate alot of these problems.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 10-06-2002 01:36 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just recently, I had someone squawking to me about how goofy their computer was running. Just for the heck of it, I ran a sysedit and discovered an entry in the load= (maybe it was the run=) line of the win.ini that didn't belong there. The command line was "rape.exe" - and when I asked him what the hell was that, he said the when the computer crashes, it says "you have been raped" or words to that effect.

I didn't edit it out of there. Not yet, anyway.

OK.......well, I wonder what might have also been inserted in the registry....

This must be a new one - as I have not found anything on McAfee that talks aboout rape.exe - has anyone ever heard of it?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: