Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Anyone want a Dinner & a Movie ??!!

Author Topic: Anyone want a Dinner & a Movie ??!!
Paul Goulet
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2002 09:34 PM      Profile for Paul Goulet   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Goulet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Question: We had a new restaurant open in the same Shopping Plaza as the theatre I work at it is located. Has anyone ever tried to work something out with a restaurant as far as a Dinner and Movie idea? It would somehow involve having Dinner then going to the theatre for a movie? Or maybe even watching a movie and then having dinner? Does anyone have any ideas on how this would work or does anyone have any experience with this situation? Any ideas would be apperciated!! Thank You!

Paul Goulet

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-29-2002 09:43 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Check out the pictures here of Studio Movie Grill. Not quite what you are asking, but of interest.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 09-29-2002 10:26 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The American Cinematheque (a non-profit group) operates the Egyptian theatre in Hollywood and has an agreement with Miceli's, an Italian restaurant across the street. Show an Egyptian ticket stub at Miceli's and get a 5% discount, plus Miceli's gives 5% to the Cinematheque.

Paul
SMPTE Hollywood Section
LV NV and SoCal

Adam Fraser
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2002 10:34 PM      Profile for Adam Fraser   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Fraser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We tried to do it with a local restaurant. It didnt do too well. No major problems but not very many responses either. I believe that if it was agressively marketed or it was a really good deal it could be profitable...

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2002 11:53 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can check out my theatre's (I'm one of the projectionists, not an owner or anything like that) website at www.farrellis.com , and then click on the supper club link. We've been open for little over a year, and things have been going good so far.

Rachel Gilardi
Madam Moderator

- posted 09-30-2002 04:57 AM      Profile for Rachel Gilardi   Email Rachel Gilardi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We do have agreements with a couple local restaurants. We have a senior citizen club card with entitles the bearer to a free beverage or coffee at a few of the local restaurants. I know its not quite dinner and a movie but its something. I would like to say it works well, but there are just not many people that even know about it. With proper advertising, something like this may be great for customer service.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-30-2002 01:10 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When we did a promotion for The Flintstones in Viva Rock Vegas, we did a tie-in with the ice cream shop next door. When you showed a ticket stub, you got a special cone of "Dinosaur Crunch" ice cream for $1, which they made themselves specially for the promotion. This worked very well, and we were approached by the owners of the ice cream shop to see if we can make the ticket stub offer a permenant thing with other movies.

The restaurant idea sounds like it may be a bit more difficult though, given that dinner takes much longer to get & eat than just an ice cream cone. The best way to do something like this would be to design coupons or certificates that are good the same day only for either an admission, or a specified dinner entree at the restaurant. Patrons can purchase the "offer" at either the restaurant or the theater, which would give them a coupon to the opposite establishment's product. It may also help to keep the restaurant current as to what your show schedule is.

=TMP=

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 09-30-2002 01:30 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
here in Salt Lake, Utah, We have a theater called "jordan commons". They have several resteraunts on site, as well as the regular stuff. And you can either sit down there and eat, or take it into the movie with you.

You can visit them on the internet at
www.jordancommons.com

Dave

Peter Kerchinsky
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-30-2002 06:02 PM      Profile for Peter Kerchinsky   Email Peter Kerchinsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Moviegoers here in Seattle seem to get real pissy when a customers decides to bring in their lunch or dinner and stink up the auditorium. Most theatres here post signs saying no outside food or drink permitted in the auditoriums. The late GCC ran a Cinema Grill in Seattle for a while. They recently closed it. I heard it didn't do very well.
I, for one, do not want to be sitting in a movie while my neighbor in the next seat devours his KFC dinner.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: