Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Do you use Opera? Quick survey. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Do you use Opera? Quick survey.
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-29-2002 06:08 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Just wondering what the opinions are here for die-hard Opera users (like me) in regards to websites written with bad code, or code that only Internet Explorer can recognize? I am finding more and more websites that even Netscape cannot display. I know the majority of users use IE because most people have Windows and most people won't bother to install a superior product since IE comes pre-installed with Windows...but for those who DO want something better and have installed Opera, what do you think?

#1 When you come to these evil websites, do you bother to open up IE to view the page, or do you just say "to hell with it" and leave the website?

#2 Do you find yourself resorting to IE to see if the content is good and then deal with using IE if the website is worth it?

#3 Do you tend to not bother with websites that are reasonably interesting because you know it has non-standard code? In other words, are there sites that you would normally visit regularly if they displayed properly in Opera?

#4 When you resort to using IE to look at a webpage, are you as amazed as I am at just how many advertising popups are really on the internet?

#5 Does IE's lack of mouse button shortcuts drive you crazy?

I know Opera is far from common, but since it's users are growing I just wonder how much traffic webmasters of these sites will end up losing once Opera becomes more mainstream.

For those reading this who have no idea what I'm talking about, go to www.opera.com and download the browser. It won't take long for you to start hating all other internet browsers once you try Opera. All other browsers are so inferior that I don't even bother to check Film-Tech webpages on other browsers anymore.

|  IP: Logged

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2002 06:55 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use Opera, and I too find sites that simply don't work properly, which is senseless, as I understand that Opera is properly html compliant, surely sites should work on it and not IE/Netscape?

Anyroad, if it's something I'm really interested in or need to read I'll fire up IE, if it's simply a passing visit, then I don't nother with it. If website authors can't be bothered to write it properly, then I can't be bothered to read it.

Joshua Lott
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2002 09:22 AM      Profile for Joshua Lott   Author's Homepage   Email Joshua Lott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just downloaded this browser.

WOW... It does load a bunch faster. I am really impressed by it. I like the added mouse short cuts. I am still taking it for a test run.

What other types of cool things does this come with?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-29-2002 10:42 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well thats it...I just Dumped Navigator in favor of IE on the Mac...while just trying to look up the version of my version of Nav (4.61) it "lost" the Film-Tech page and and to start all over. Nav does that sometimes...you resize the window...it gets confused.

IE 5.1 for the Mac has, thus far, been stable as compared to Navigator.

I have played with Opera for the Mac but it has locked up already on my limited use with it. So while I won't condem it, I'm not it's biggest supporter yet.

Steve

Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2002 11:35 AM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use iCab on my Macintoshes.

Near the upper right corner is a smiley icon that indicates the Web page's compliance with HTML.

There are very few instances where I have to use Netscape Navigator or IE to actually accomplish something. But it does happen. I try to avoid those Web sites.

I must admit that Film-Tech works just fine in iCab, but the Smiley frowns. Most Web pages frown. Very, very few smile.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-29-2002 11:54 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Opera on the Mac is not as good as the Windows version. It still is good, however. The Mac version has been stuck on version 5 while Windows users got version 6. Damn lazy-ass Opera programmers. But now the Mac version has finally hit the version 6 beta. Finally it will have the same features and I'm sure will be the browser of choice once it's past the beta stage.

Dennis Atkinson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2002 01:32 PM      Profile for Dennis Atkinson   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Atkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use Opera 99% of the time.
For those problem sites, Netscape is used, never IE.
If Opera or Netscape cannot read a page, shame on that "web-master"!
There is no excuse for bad code on the web anymore.

Dennis
killing the net one post at a time

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-29-2002 01:36 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If Opera can't look at it I send them a nasty email

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 09-29-2002 02:01 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Opera really rocks! The only thing I don't like about is that it does not seem to know what I leave Film-Tech and come back. When I come back, sit still shows most forums as "New Posts" - even if there is none.

As an example, the Thread on "Measurement Standards" in Film Yak is the first one that comes up with a yellow folder, showing the last post was 26 September. Everything more recent than that has a red folder.

In the Ground Level Forum, anything a post later than (but not included) 25 September 2002 is considered a new post.

In the Film Handler's Forum, anything later than 26 September is considered by Opera as a new post.

On Opera start-up, I have the box checked "Show my home page"

Maybe I have Opera set up wrong....or IE 6 is hogging up the cookies....

I had Netscape in this machine once. I uninstalled it a long time ago. I have it in one of my machines in another location, but I seldom use Netscape unless IE gets confused.

Also, it won't remember my name and password to Film-Tech.

I am running Opera with Windows 2000 Professional.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-29-2002 02:10 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe,

The little advertising windown in upper right corner is telling me that I should upgrade to Opera 7...perhaps it doesn't know I'm on a Mac?

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2002 02:27 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use Opera and have very few problems. All I use IE for anymore is paying my phone bill and checking my bank account. It's funny that bellsouth.com and amsouth.com make their pages not work with Opera.

Not long back, when trying to register for a class, I looked at the UAH class schedules for the first time since using Opera, and found that they displayed as one big blob instead of having line breaks in the right places. I sent an email to the uah.edu webmaster (different from our itsc.uah.edu webmaster) telling him about the problem. He told me he didn't have Opera, but for me to try the page again after he'd made a change. It still did the same thing. I decided to look at the HTML and I quickly found the problem -- tags specified in the wrong order. After editing, the page displayed fine. I wrote the guy back telling him that he was lucky that the class listings displayed properly in IE (Opera was interpreting the tags correctly for the order they were in) and told him how to fix it (probably swapping 2 lines of code in his Perl script). I didn't get a response, but a month later, it was fixed.

------------------
Evans A Criswell
Huntsville-Decatur Movie Theatre Information Site

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 09-29-2002 02:54 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The topic made me curious, so I downloaded Opera and I am using it right now. Opera doesn`t seem to be able to save complex pages like this one for off-line reading either. Curiously, when I save a forum page to read it later under IE, IE will not display the complete page when I open it from my hard disc. However, I can open the page in Acrobat and read it then. I had hoped that with Opera, this procedure would be unnecessary, since it is film-tech`s preferred browser.
Michael

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-29-2002 04:11 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, click on "preferences" and clear your cookies. Then go into "profile" and re-submit. I do this on ubb forums from time to time as the cookie gets crumbled.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-29-2002 04:33 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will not use MSIE for political reasons (MS is evil and I do not want to support abuse of monopoly power). MSIE may be a great browser, but I don't care; I don't like what it represents, and it doesn't run on several of the hardware/OS platforms that I regularly use. I use a mix of Lynx, Mozilla, and Netscape 4.79. If I can't view a web site in at least one of these browsers, then it probably doesn't have any content worth viewing anyway, so I ignore it. I also ignore any web sites that aren't usable without the Flash plugin installed (I don't have/want Flash...Flash is trash!).

I haven't played around much with Opera, since Mozilla serves my needs well for a graphical browser. The best features are a) the ability to turn off unrequested popup windows and b) the ability to turn off animated GIFs.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-29-2002 04:34 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Netscape has its own share of problems when it comes to reading web sites correctly. The version 4.x level of Netscape sucks badly when it comes to properly displaying Cascading Style Sheets standards like levels of font substitutions and CSS positioned layer content. IE, I'm sorry to say, flattens Netscape when it comes to CSS --an item that has been in the HTML spec for a few years now.

I hate the newest AOL-spam-junked-up versions of Netscape. At least Netscape 5, 6 and 7 can display CSS properly. But starting with version 6, screen hogging shit like "My Sidebar" or whatever it is called, it gives precious little space for any web pages to display. Most people have 17 inch or smaller computer monitors running at 800 X 600 or less. All that user interface trash (what we call "the chrome") elminates a lot of room for the web page content itself.

As much as many like to hate Microsoft's Internet Explorer, at least it doesn't hog up the screen with all its UI trash like Netscape. It has gotten to the point where I don't accomodate Netscape much anymore when I do web page design. If that browser is only going to give me about a 300 or less pixel wide column to fit a web page design due to their UI trash, they can just kiss off then.

Opera does a decent job with CSS, but people who use the newest WYSIWYG web page design tools like Adobe GoLive 6.0 and Macromedia DreamweaverMX have to be careful about some of their more "user friendly" design options (such as GoLive's layout grid and Dreamweaver's "Layout View"). Building pages in those modes can result in some really funky code. And that can lead to some wierd display problems. Still, DreamweaverMX is the best web page building app out there. GoLive 6.0 is pretty good too, but it isn't as easy (or as fast) to use as Dreamweaver.

I've tried Opera before, but I don't feel like paying $39 for an "ad free" version. I'm shopping around for the best deal on a new dual processor G4 Mac. And most likely when I buy one (don't hate me for this) I'm probably going to go to Microsoft's Mactopia site and get the newest version of IE for it (that is unless it already comes bundled in with Mac OS 10.2 Jaguar).

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: