Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Firefly

Author Topic: Firefly
Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 09-28-2002 03:28 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had stated in a previous post about "enterprise" that this new space show "firefly" sucks.

Allow me to clarify, and change my mind.

It took me three tries to get through the first show. the first forty five minutes were so confusing, because there really is no development of story or character to work with. The viewer is lost.

I think as the series goes on, it will get better.

I actually now like the show, and after this last episode of "enterprise", I can see why the critics like this new "firefly".

My problems with this show..

The music bites. It sounds like little house on the prairie.

The costuming is horrid. They ALL look like they shopped at Han Solo is us. If this is a rag tag bunch, they would not all be dressed alike.

The cinemetography is nasty. The first episode was in widescreen, now its in 4/3. PICK ONE DAMMIT! Plus it looks like it is NYPD Space, with all the horrid shaking movements, which are supposed to simulate head movements. MY HEAD DON'T MOVE LIKE THAT!!!

Set decoration is all earthtone. This is a spaceship, does everything have to be brown?

What works for the show...

My Bodyguard. The only Baldwin that can act. To bad the others can't. Maybe they could if they were related to him.

A very good looking outer space hooker.

A very cute looking engineer.

Ok enough. Watch the show, but give it time. I am betting this thing actually works.

Dave

|  IP: Logged

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 12-24-2002 12:41 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, time to update what has become my favorite Television show.

I started off hating this show. Now it is my absolute favorite, and definately takes the place of the now horridly boring Sopranos on HBO.

Firefly, on FOX, has been unfortunately cancelled, with three of the 15 episodes made still not aired.

In my previous post I stated many things that at least to me made no sense.

Turns out that the network did NOT air the two hour pilot, which explains a great many things, such as how these people actually got together, at least for the most part.

The network aired the pilot, as the last episode. What the hell? What a way to treat a series. Josh Whedon is pretty upset about the ad campain as well, considering the tagline "a space crew thats really spaced out". It does not apply at all in any way. No wonder no one tuned in.

If you missed a chance to catch this NON genre space show, you missed a true treat. It is science fiction done as if it were done by John Wayne. Truly a great show.

If Fox follows through on thier promise to air the last three episodes sometime, or if another network picks it up, Really watch it. It grows on you, and doesn't require you to suspend all disbelief in order to enjoy it, or require you to be some kind of trek nerd to really get something from it.

And speaking of TREK, looks like the franchise is dead. Paramount is talking escape clauses from the cast contracts for Enterprise. It may not survive to a third season. If not, Paramount will kill the franchise permanantly, as the new NEMESIS film looks to take in the lowest amount of any TREK film, ever. It's two week grosses are a mere 27 million dollars, and the Enterprise show viewership is less than that of the original series when it was cancelled.

Dave

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-24-2002 12:44 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't watch shows with network 'bugs' on the screen. (Have I mentioned that before?)
I was checking what was on TV last night though and saw NBC was showing Crossing Jordan without any on-screen crap! If I didn't have to get up early the next day I would've watched the whole show just out of appreciation. (How did I know what show it was? My Mitsubishi TV has the Extended Data Service, which will display closed-caption style the network and the name of the show- I hit the button, the TV showed me what I was watching, I hit it again and it went off and I could enjoy the show with no onscreen crap!)

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-24-2002 09:32 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We agree Dave
I caught it the other night and I have hopes for this one. I liked the way the captain came in like "Indy" and plugged that pesky undercover cop/whatever. Then him and his side kick picked him up by the collar and seat of the pants and tossed him out the back. I cheered for that sceen. It was just quirky enough to be interesting. I'm watching next week

Josh Kirkhart
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-26-2002 01:55 AM      Profile for Josh Kirkhart   Email Josh Kirkhart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Followed it all the way and will gladly track it down if picked up by some other network(upn is looking at it). The dvd that should eventually be out will be mine also.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 12-26-2002 02:20 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately FOX has replaced it with FASTLANE, by creater McG. Supposed to be MIAMI VICE meets FAST AND THE FURIOUS.

So what we should get Vin Diesel as Crockett and Sam Jackson as Tubbs?

Oh yeah, that was XXX.

If fox does air the last three sometime, beleive me I will post the dates here!

Dave

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2002 12:02 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey maybe SciFi channel will pick up Firefly. Maybe if we asked real nice....

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 12-25-2005 07:22 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 1092 days since the last post.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 12-25-2005 07:22 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got the DVD boxed set as a gift. I remember reading somewhere that there was a lot of controversy over the fact that FOX aired the original episodes out of sequence, which was very confusing for viewers. I saw a definitive episode guide somewhere online that listed the preferred viewing order, but now I can't find it. Anyone know if the DVD follows the original airing sequence, or have they put them in a more sensible order? Anyone know where I can find that online guide?

(I confess I haven't opened the box yet, so the answer could lie within, once I get past the usual infuriating security devices.)

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-25-2005 08:10 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just start with disk one and work your way through. The 2 hour "Serenity" Episode is #1

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 12-25-2005 08:55 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks. I found a couple sites that confirm the DVD has them in the correct order.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 12-26-2005 04:37 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Definately watch them in order, then watch the film. It all works a nice story arc, even if some of the events and set pieces are changed a bit in the movie, it still flows very nicely, and the movie ends the way the first season of the series would have ended if they had been allowed to complete all 22 episodes.

With low box office performance, Universal is looking for better than average DVD sales, and they will release a much more detailed special edition later next year as well. The studio looks to break even on the movie, just as Fox eventually broke even on the series when the DVD sales took off.

Many fans are looking for an eventual return to television. Showtime has given up on science fiction episodic television, and HBO really doesn't want to go there. The Sci Fi Channel however has had good ratings on the first two run throughs on the 14 episodes, and will run them again the first part of January. This usually means that Sci Fi is trying to guage if a show like this can be sustainable.

Farscape was killed not because ratings were low, but because production costs were so high that they could not generate enough revenue to cover them. This is the same reason that the top rated Original version of Battlestar Gallactica was killed back in 1980. Lots of viewers, but cost too high.

The new BG series relies heavily on the usage of interchangeable sets, extras that never speak, and a special effects bank that they can continually either regurgitate or just reprogram in any old way. It helps keep the costs down.

Firefly already has a built in fan base of 2 million that will dedicate to the show each week for new episodes. It also has the same bank of special effects and the set already exists in a wharehouse, and just needs a set to put it in. Much like star trek, they just do a lot of location shoots in the mountains and the rest is all just interchangeable sets.

So there is hope.

Merry new year all! [beer]

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-26-2005 08:55 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I fear that one problem Firefly will have (if it returns to the series format) is that fans have a notion of "how it's supposed to be", and have a hard time accepting changes. I have read a number of fan BBs and what I notice is that they want to be exactly like they remember it. Some even don't like the movie because it does not fit their conglomerated memories of the series. Well now it's going to be even worse as we're missing a couple of characters. It doesn't seem to matter that its been a few years since the series and everyone has grown older, including the characters. This same thing happened with ST TOS, when it came back in movie form. (Granted ST TMP was a stinker on any level)
I just don't know that a series that "comes back" to a series, has a chance, unless the fan base can be made to understand that "you can't go home" and this has got to be something new and a little older than what they remember.
I hope I'm wrong and it does come back and does great

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 12-26-2005 12:26 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I've made it through the first 3 episodes and I'm hooked. [thumbsup]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: