Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » My Standing Ovation!!!

Author Topic: My Standing Ovation!!!
Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 09-28-2002 03:14 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight I recieved only my second standing ovation. The first one came three years ago when I was caught out on stage during a malfunctioning light cue and froze like a deer caught in the headlights.

Tonight however, I actually deserved it. I was doing a show called "Forever Plaid". This is a show with four performers, and four techs (light, sound, spot, and backstage). I am the backstage tech for this show. In this show I operate the fog (for which I have recieved much acclaim, I have even made an actor once gasp for air it was so thick), I also operate several drop in lights, and a tree.

That's right dammit, a tree! During a song (matilda), we go calipso. The palm tree starts to dance. That's me. The tree has a top, but the trunk is actually a vinyl dryer vent painted to be a tree trunk. The whole thing sits in a big bucket on stage for an hour lifeless until the song. It is like a snake charmer thing.

The theater has been doing this production for ten years. I am apparently the first person that has done more than just move it up and down.

As a musician, I understand rythym. I am dancing and jumping to this thing. I have more fun than anyone. On monday, I recieved major kudos from the owner himself. He never saw anything like it. Everyone always wants to know who the tree guy is.

So after the show, when the actors did thier bows and started to leave, I go out on stage, to get props moved and reset. By then everyone is always halfway out. However, they stayed put in thier seats until I walked out an then they all started clapping and stood up. At first I thought I missed something, and maybe they were clapping for the pianist. I quicked looked at him and his eyes said it all, that this was in fact for me this time.

I quick looked at them, gave a thankful nod, and went along. I almost bowed, as is what I would normally do, but this felt wierd! But I loved it nonetheless. I had people stopping to talk to me and shake my hand.

Never has the plant upstaged the quartet. However, as my father would put it, I am a ham, and eat up the limelight.

I am auditioning in the morning for the part of Jacob Marley, wish me luck.

Dave

|  IP: Logged

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 09-28-2002 08:49 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wonderful. But did it get you laid?

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 09-28-2002 11:40 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah! Did you?

Congratulations.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 09-28-2002 12:17 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Short answer... Yes. My girlfriend was there and found it rather a turn on.

Dave

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: