Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » New Kodak DX4330 Camera Blue Screens Computer

Author Topic: New Kodak DX4330 Camera Blue Screens Computer
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-22-2002 06:52 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just bought a new Digital camera....Kodak DX4330. Installed the software as normal but when the camera begins its download the computer does the deeaded blue screen routine. Deleted the CD supplied software and downloaded the latest fomr the Kodak web site. Same problem. When you see the download thingy on the taskbar the computer blue screens.

Checked the Kodak web site as to this problem but found only one possibility....
"If you have Aventail software installed on your system and attempt to run KODAK EasyShare, you may experience undesirable behavior, such as a system crash and blue screen. To avoid this conflict, you should use the latest version of Aventail software and use its Configuration Tool to exclude KODAK EasyShare from the secured list. Refer to the Aventail software documentation for information on excluding applications. "
BTW: Computer is a P-3 1 GHZ, 500 plus mb ram and 40gb hd. running XP Pro. Everything else runs fine!

So what the heck is Aventail software???

Mark @ Claco

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-22-2002 10:15 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aventail makes networking types of software and other networking solutions.

Have you loaded the latest service pack of WindowsXP? It solves some problems, but then creates others. PC graphics people on XP are pulling out their hair over a SP1 issue that conflicts with Adobe Type Manager and Postscript fonts. Any application that doesn't generate its own postscript may disregard all Type 1 and Type 1 Multiple Master fonts installed directly into the OS or through the latest ATM 4.1 designed for XP.

Anyway, that's just an example.

This is a simple hunch, but you might check to see whether your new camera and its EasyShare dock need USB 2.0 to work. My new flatbed scanner requires USB 2.0 or Firewire.

Does your camera include a regular USB cable to attach directly to a USB port? I think those "EasyShare" docks are really a scam to make people spend $70 extra on unneeded hardware. I use a Kodak DC4800 camera and just hook it straight to the computer's USB port. The only other method I would use is taking the Compact Flash card and using a USB media reader.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-22-2002 11:35 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the suggestions Bobby!! Here is where I'm at....
First off the Easyshare software is not very easy.....It does not work with either XP Pro or Millennium.
I am now comming to you from another HD with Windows Millenneum on it. I loaded it just to see if it was OS related or not. Although the camera connection program now loads and opens up ok, when it trys to transfer the pics over it just sits there and says transfering photos but nothing happens. Have to reset the computer to get out of it.
I am doing this with the standard USB cable that comes with the camera. I have other USB devices that all function well including my printer. This camera has firmware version 1.0 in it so I wonder if there is a bug in that possibly?? Didn't see any new firmware upgrades at the Kodak site.... I wish this camera took the compact flash cards but it does not. It takes the new style Multimedia cards that are about half the size of the Compact Flash cards. I do have a reader for Compact Flash cards though.....
The reader for these cards is only 20 bucks, and the rechargable battery set another 15 and I was wanting to bypass the stupid docking thingy this way. Thats less than half the price of the docker. Also, I thought USB 2.0 was backwards compatable with the old USB standards???
Mark @ Claco

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: