Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Wallowing in nostalgia (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Wallowing in nostalgia
Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2002 01:07 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Several on the forums seem to have a yearning for nostalgia. By the tone of their posts, "All megaplexes, bad; all single-screen thaters, good."

Robert E. Allen said in a different thread: "If you look closely almost all the major circuits are just coming out of bankruptsy because they've taken their brand of overscreened ambiance into too many areas while a number of single screen "opulent" houses (sans stadium seating) have been restored with great success."

The nearest single-screen to me closed 3 years ago. It got flooded in a hurricane and no longer shows movies. That huge single was a dump -- the place was crumbling, the owners barely put any money into upkeep and part of the main floor had to be roped off. It didn't help that the theater was in a town full of bluenoses. The only reason that single stayed around as long as it did was because it got Saving Private Ryan when General Cinema refused to show that film on its original release. Reading came in and opened a 12-screen stadium theater in a nearby town for Star Wars Episode 1. That modern multiplex marked the beginning of the end for that old single. The hurricane did the rest.

In a nearby city there's an old single-screen that's now a performing arts center. This PAC used to be one of the venues for a "film festival" that's overhyped by the local press. (I use quotation marks since the outfit running the "film festival" runs mostly 2nd-run arthouse product.) There was one major problem: The "film festival" was drawing 300 people a show in a hall that seats 1,800. That's not gonna pay the bills for a venue that's dependent on foundation and corporate money. OUT!

There are 7 single-screen theaters left in Northern New Jersey. One single is usually a subrun; it's been playing My Big Fat Greek Wedding since before that picture went mainstream. Three other singles are arthouses; two of those arthouses are a mile apart and have to split product. Two more singles are dependent on family fare and do poorly if they get stuck with adult pictures. The seventh single now only shows movies part-time.

In a multiplex/megaplex world, single-screen theaters are nostalgia. The press loves to wallow in nostalgia -- it provides reams of hype, it's cheap and easy to produce, it doesn't offend the rich and powerful. Nostalgia may be great for the press but it doesn't mean a thing to the general public. The Rolling Stones are another example.

In my part of the country, stadium theaters and megaplexes have grown to the point where I don't have to patronize anything else. Over the summer I was able to see Sunshine State at the UA Union Square, Lovely & Amazing at the AMC Empire, and Tadpole at the Regal Barn Plaza. Last week I saw One Hour Photo at the AMC Clifton Commons. All of those theaters are stadium and are well-maintained. (Special shout-out to Moviefone.com for including the Barn Plaza listing on Tadpole.)

The public is voting with its pocketbook -- for proof, peep the list of top engagements that Nielsen EDI and Box Office Mojo post every week.

|  IP: Logged

Adam Fraser
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2002 02:31 PM      Profile for Adam Fraser   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Fraser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is one serious flaw in your argument, the Nielson EDI engagement lists box office gross by theatre, not by screen or show. No, no single screen theatre is ever going to gross $100,000 in a weekend.. but they are also only showing the movie a few times/day in smaller markets. The listings are for theatres that are probably showing that particular movie on several screens, 5 or more times per day in each screen.. in towns of several hundred thousand. Also, singles are usually in smaller towns with less draw, and if they are well run their market saturation is probably just as good or better than the multi's; just with less of a population base to draw from. I would be amazed to see any multiplex that is better run with better presentation and atmosphere than a well managed and maintained single in a small to medium market.

------------------
Adam Fraser
www.pinestheatre.com

Gordon Bachlund
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2002 03:39 PM      Profile for Gordon Bachlund   Author's Homepage   Email Gordon Bachlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well stated, Adam. Bravo!

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-21-2002 04:04 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not quite sure what the original poster's point is.

Is the issue that some single-screen houses are poorly maintained and that the multiplexes in the same market are capable of better presentation quality? If so, then that statement applies to a particular market and isn't representative of single-screen theatres in general.

I like single-screen theatres and have enjoyed working in several and patronizing many. Unlike the current generation of gigaplexes, which all look and feel alike, singles tend to have "character," which doesn't necessarily improve the film presentation quality, but which enhances the entertainment experience. Some are very well maintained and do good business, while others are struggling to survive (and, sadly, presentation often suffers in this situation).

From a purely selfish point of view, I prefer working in single screen houses, as they tend to have interesting architectural features and also often have interesting pieces of history (particularly old show schedules, newspapers, film, and equipment) that I find interesting. Call me masochistic, but I prefer working with older booth equipment as long as it has been well maintained; the newer equipment is great (I'm running Kinotons this weekend....), but I get more satisfaction by putting on a top-quality show with equipment that is fifty years old than I do with the latest and greatest stuff.

In any case, there are plenty of markets where the single-screen concept still works. Small towns and even mid-sized cities seem to work best. The Byrd Theatre in Richmond, VA. often does great business with second-run product. The Uptown in DC and the Senator in Baltimore are "the" places to see top first-run titles. Providence, RI has three single-screen art houses (I've been helping out at the Columbus lately).

I have nothing personal against multiplexes and I agree that many of the newer theatres are well equipped for great film presentation (and, to be fair, many single-screen houses aren't), but I just prefer the older theatres, myself, and am happy that I have a choice in many cases.

Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2002 04:14 PM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only where equal access to product is given (day and date release) is given to both multi's and single's can you compare apples to oranges.

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2002 05:19 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
QUOTE:
quote:
No, no single screen theatre is ever going to gross $100,000 in a weekend

Not today, probably, but to put things in perspective, the Roxie Theatre in NYC pulled in approximately $350,000 during it's first week of "The Robe" in 1953. And during the blockbuster 70's and 80's, may first-run single screens in LA and NYC could bring in over $100,000 for a weekend. Of course movies play in far more screens today.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 09-21-2002 06:51 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm... [Whips out the Windows calculator]

Assumptions: A weekend is defined as Fri, Sat, and Sun; the theater grosses $100K (admissions only); the average ticket price is $5; 5 shows per day = 15 shows for the weekend.

$100K divided by 15 shows = $6,667 per show.
$6,667 divided by average ticket price of $5 = 1333 admissions per show.

It could happen.

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2002 07:07 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I should point out the Roxie theatre probably charged 2.00 max for the Robe in 1953 (advanced prices). But the theatre had 6,000 seats. And that was for the week. Don't know the weekend breakdown.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-22-2002 01:24 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, it is certainly possible for a single screen theatre to gross $100,000 on a weekend.

As I recall, the Uptown topped $1,000,000 on its run of SW:EP1 on it's 12 week run with the first weekend quite possibly topping 100,000 (cuz it wasn't towards the end). ID:4 ran around the clock so it might have as well.

Generally, the Uptown will outgross just about any theatre on the length of the run on a given title. That is, looking at the total gross for a title.

The Uptown being a single screen theatre in Washington DC.

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Richard C. Wolfe
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2002 10:01 PM      Profile for Richard C. Wolfe   Author's Homepage   Email Richard C. Wolfe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a small technical correction for historical accuracy. The theatre that you have referred to in New York City was the ROXY, not the ROXIE as the one in Los Angles was.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2002 07:27 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was unaware that there were any single screen full time movie theatres left in northern New Jersey. Just curious, which ones are they?

/Mitchell

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2002 02:58 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The vast majority of multiplexes are located in large metro areas where the corporate brass spend their time trying to out-tech and out-screen other corporate owned multiplexes (which is exactly what drove them into bankruptsy) instead of having their hand on the pulse of the community to learn what the populace wants to have in the way of entertainment and have all but ignored the deluge of complaints about high prices at the box office and concession stand, unfriendly staff, poor screen performance and dirty facilities (see this month's boxoffice magazine "Mailroom" column) as they use the "herd the cattle" technique of customer relations.

There IS life outside the big city. I'm in the process of planning a single screener in our small community which I hope will be the flagship for a fleet of single screeners (or hardtop/drive-in combos) to serve small and rural America which is being totally ignored by the corporate big boys (who continue in the self-destructive battle to out-screen each other in already overscreened metro areas)

A well run multiplex can be a benefit to a city. Notice I said "well run". In order to do that the corporate brass is going to have to get off their plush chairs and get out into the communities they serve and get to know those communities and make certain their local staff is connected to those communities. This is apparently something they were never taught in whatever marketing or business management schools they attended.

Bob
The Old Showman

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-23-2002 05:29 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got the general tone from Charles' post that he doesn't care if single screen theaters bite the dust and are replaced with cookie-cutter duplicated multiplex sites.

Overall, I disagree with the statement. I've visited a good number of single screen theaters and twins that just blew away most stadium seated "megaplexes". In Dallas, even when the AMC Grand 24 was still new and the UA Galaxy had just opened, I still much preferred to go to the traditional seated Northpark 1-2 to watch any movie. I have yet to visit a modern stadium seated theater that could compare at all to the quality of the Northpark.

A few years ago, when the stadium seated theater seemed like a new concept and people were really excited about the then-new digital surround formats, the quality was pretty good in places like the UA Galaxy. In the past few years it really has gone to shit.

It seems like I get more and more disappointed with just about every stadium seated theater I visit now. I really hate those newer AMC sites with all the surround speakers mounted up in the ceiling. The sound systems are typically so poorly tuned in these places that it seems like you have only two tracks of sound. One for the screen and one for over your head. Real hollow sound and next to no bass. Total shit. Oh, and did I mention the DIM IMAGES? On those big screens, we're talking about movies by Braille. But the attitude is 35mm is good enough for a giant screen. Who cares about 70mm?

70mm is another thing that single screen, traditional seated theaters could deliver. The modern stadium seated theaters have ignored the large format.

If anyone wants to say I am "wallowing in nostalgia" they really don't get the point. I'm just interested in having the job done right. Film Done Right. If the circuits aren't interested in delivering that, more people will wallow in the technology of their DVD players instead of visiting a commercial theater. And that sure wouldn't be good.

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2002 06:50 PM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my nearest big city, Aarhus, the place calling itself the biggest THX house in Denmark shows a heavily trapeze-formed THX on-screen logo.
Thats what multiplexes stand for, -and thats what THX stands for.
Horray for nostalgia and good, old days !

/p.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 09-23-2002 07:01 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt there's a single Film-Techer who wouldn't like to see a resurgence of 65mm origination and 70mm presentation. But the way the business seems to work today, it just isn't going to happen. Of course, if someone can present a business plan that shows from a P&L perspective how 70mm can still be viable...

In an age where moderately successful films have runs measured in terms of a few weeks (mostly as a marketing tool for later home video release), and exhibitors shuffle films between screens on a daily basis, and everyone's already complaining about high ticket prices, 70mm is just not going to come back.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: