Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Cincinnati Cinerama Theatre circa 1968

Author Topic: Cincinnati Cinerama Theatre circa 1968
Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 09-19-2002 09:19 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please excuse the crosspost to r.a.m.t. but I received a request from a librarian who is trying to find the screen size of the "RKO International 70," a 70mm-only Cinerama installation in the late 1960's. Screen size is not listed with the ICS list entry. Anyone want to help out Heidi the librarian?

|  IP: Logged

Tony Ratcliff
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2002 12:04 PM      Profile for Tony Ratcliff   Email Tony Ratcliff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that the theatre you are refering to was the Capitol that had been at 7th and Vine. It was torn down at least 25 years ago.

I don't know what the screen size was.

John Harvey would probably know.

You might also post a question on that new Cinerama forum.

Tony

Tony Ratcliff
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2002 02:12 PM      Profile for Tony Ratcliff   Email Tony Ratcliff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just realized that you are in Chicago.

You might give the Theatre Historical Society a call.

Tony

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 10-12-2002 11:56 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
About six months ago, I was in Cincinnati poring over the city directories. While I didn't find the specific information you're looking for, here's what I do know:

The Palace (12-14 E Sixth Street) showed up in the directories in about 1919 and disappeared by 1929. It showed up again as the RKO Palace in 1938, in the midst of a theater population explosion. It became the RKO International 70 in 1963 or 1964 and remained such until it returned to its original name in 1978. The Palace last appeared in the directories in 1982.

The RKO Capitol (704 Vine Street) showed up in 1939 during the afore-mentioned theater boom. It was listed in the 1959 directory as the Cinerama, missing from the 1960 directory, and back to the Capitol in 1961. The last year it was listed was 1967.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: