Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Harry Potter Broom B I G Hit with Girls!!

Author Topic: Harry Potter Broom B I G Hit with Girls!!
Bob Brown
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2002 12:13 PM      Profile for Bob Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From the NY Post........September 7, 2002 -- Potter broom rattles parents

THE "Harry Potter" toy broomstick from Mattel has a vibrating feature that has proven to be too popular with teenage girls.

The "Nimbus 2000" is a plastic battery-powered replica of the broom used in Quidditch matches by J.K. Rowling's boy wizard in "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone." The $19.99 toy features a "grooved stick and handle for easy riding," according to Toysrus.com, and, "enhancing the excitement are the vibrating effects."

The Web site's review section is full of comments from parents who are amazed at the toy's popularity with their young daughters. One mom who bought the broom for her son writes that his sister frequently "fights him over it" and complains that "the batteries drain too fast."

Another notes, "When my 12-year-old daughter asked for this for her birthday, I kind of wondered if she was too old for it, but she seems to love it."

An equally enthusiastic parent marvels that "even my daughter's friends enjoy playing with this fun toy. I was surprised at how long they can just sit in her room and play with this magic broomstick!"

One astute New Jersey mom says of her daughter: "It wasn't until after she opened her gift and started playing with it that I realized the toy may offer a more than sensational experience. The broomstick has cute sound effects and vibrates . . . what were the creators of this toy thinking? She'll keep playing with the Nimbus 2000, but with the batteries removed."

"As always, the well-being of children is our top priority," Mattel rep Sara Rosales told PAGE SIX's Jared Paul Stern. "And we in no way consider this toy to be inappropriate."

Meanwhile, parents of young Harry Potter fanatics may have more to worry about with the next movie in the series. The London Times recently reported that Chris Columbus, director of the first two installments, won't be helming the third. Alfonso Cuaron, director of the sexually explicit coming-of-age flick "Y Tu Mama Tambien," may be taking his place.

The Harry Potter franchise has already come under fire from Christian groups for its allegedly Satanic, anti-Christian message. A chruch pastor in New Mexico said he planned to burn the books in a "holy bonfire." The books were also banned at a Christian school in Australia and a toy store chain in England.

|  IP: Logged

Gracia L. Babbidge
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2002 10:50 PM      Profile for Gracia L. Babbidge   Author's Homepage   Email Gracia L. Babbidge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*lmfao*

Aaron Haney
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2002 03:16 AM      Profile for Aaron Haney   Email Aaron Haney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This appeared on Memepool a few days ago. Since then, it's been all over the web, and many people started adding fake reviews to the Amazon page. Amazon has since removed most of the fake ones.

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 09-08-2002 08:55 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"*lmfao*"

say what??

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2002 09:51 PM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I posted this story into my LIVE JOURNAL and a friend responded "This will go down in history as a classic example of bad marketing, like the potato chip company in the early 70's that brought out a brand called HITS and then put the name continuously, without spaces, all over the bag."

Does anyone remember that?

------------------
Find me online
AOL: Dexter Caldwell
yahoo!: dexter_caldwell

"It is the opinion of the entire staff the Dexter is criminally insane."

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-08-2002 10:37 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
lmfao = Lame Mother Fucking Article OK?

or maybe

Laughing My Fat Ass Off

Gracia L. Babbidge
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2002 12:31 AM      Profile for Gracia L. Babbidge   Author's Homepage   Email Gracia L. Babbidge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Um ... , !

(I haven't given anyone here permission to refer to my ass as "fat"!)

"lmfao" = laughing my freaking ass off"

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-09-2002 01:32 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Amazing... I always heard "fat". I guess that's what happens when people abbreviate everything.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-09-2002 05:31 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Get with the times Joe. It's "lmpao".

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-09-2002 10:47 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phiggidy.

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2002 10:51 AM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the Harry Potter broom can be a girl's first vibrator. That makes it an unintended byproduct of "Corporate Synergy".

Gracia L. Babbidge
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2002 12:50 PM      Profile for Gracia L. Babbidge   Author's Homepage   Email Gracia L. Babbidge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Random observation:

One must at least 18 (in most US states) before being able to purchase a vibrator.

Condoms can be purchased by anyone, regardless of age.

Which is safer & healthier for adolescents - masturbation, or sex?

...Little quirky, isn't it?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: