Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » When is the prequel to "GETTYSBURG" coming?

Author Topic: When is the prequel to "GETTYSBURG" coming?
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 09-02-2002 03:00 AM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Movies about the American civil war has been a favorite of mine and "GLORY" and "GETTYSBURG" are considered two of the best in my opinion.
I learned that the prequel to "GETTYSBURG" was just finishing post production work and was going to be released this month (September). Can anyone confirm this? By the Way, what is the title of the movie and who is releasing it?

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2002 03:14 AM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The name of the film is GODS AND GENERALS. According to the IMDB, the release date is now 12/27. Warner Bros. is releasing it. It's also worth noting that Ronald F. Maxwell, the writer and director of GETTYSBURG, has returned to do the same on this one. I also seem to remember hearing somewhere that his next project is the GETTYSBURG sequel, THE LAST FULL MEASURE, which will supposedly be released next year.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-02-2002 04:18 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will there be 70mm prints of this? There were for Gettysburg....

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 09-02-2002 05:45 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Scott,

Sorry to say but it will only be a 35mm release. Since the film will be released by Warner Brothers it will have all three digital soundtracks. If my memory is correct, "GETTYSBURG" was released by New Line Cinema in 35mm with a DTS track only and the 70mm print was in DTS as well as six track magnetic. The reason I know the 70mm print had a six track mag soundtrack was due to the picture playing at the Cinerama here in Honolulu in the large format and this theatre was set up for SDDS digital and analogue Dolby Stereo only. The sound was awesome even if it was analogue six track stereo.

-Claude

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-02-2002 05:54 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A properly recorded 70mm mag with SR will outperform any current digital system

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-02-2002 07:56 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Gettysburg" didn't have any 70mm DTS prints. The 70mm prints shown were in Dolby Mag (Format 43 I think). In fact, when the film was released in 1993, the 70mm DTS system had not yet been developed.

"My Fair Lady" was the first film to have a theatrical 5/70 DTS test reel made. The restored "Vertigo" was the first 70mm DTS theatrical release. Lots of DTS 70mm special venue shows have been made.

Dolby SR magnetic is indeed superior to 16-bit digital systems like Dolby Digital, DTS and even standard CD quality 16-bit LCPM. Dolby SR mag has +/-22db of headroom versus the +/-20db of 16-bit digital.

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2002 03:18 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Independence Day had a 70mm DTS print made which I think predated the Vertigo release . We screened it here in Bradford in March 1997 along with Vertigo DTS 70 and the restored My Fair Lady in 70mm mag.

WE needed two 70mm DTS readers as the code printed on the ID4 print was slightly offset from the now standard position as used on Vertigo.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: