Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Labor Day 2002 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Labor Day 2002
Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-30-2002 08:57 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

I wish you all a Happy Labor Day!

Gerard S. Cohen,
Local 306, Projectionists, International Alliance of Theatrical and Stage Employees, AFL/CIO
United Federation of Teachers, American Federation of Teachers,
AFL/CIO

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 08-30-2002 09:16 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Labor Day to you and everyone else as well.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-30-2002 09:18 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
You can NOT upload a file called
Labor Day Card.gif

and then call it
LaborDayCard.gif

from the forum. It doesn't work that way. You HAVE to rename it BEFORE uploading to rid the spaces from the name. I fixed it.

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-30-2002 09:43 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Brad! Now I remember I learned that before, but I've just returned from dinner at L'Ecole, French Culinery Institute and that
dry table wine bewitched me! Dinner was with a cousin I haven't seen in half a century, our family geneologist. And tomorrow's my wife's birthday!
Thanks again!
Gerard

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2002 02:35 AM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let me add my wishes for a Happy Labour Day to all;

Rick Long, Projector fix-it-guy,

IATSE locals 432 and 173

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2002 04:19 AM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Y'know what's interesting about the poster above, for a lot of people (mostly of Italian heritage like myself), the gesture she's making means "Go F*** Yourself!"

I wonder if that's what the artist intended.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2002 12:17 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Labor Day, All! (coming from someone who doesn't have a job as of yet, lol)

=TMP=
"What happens on Labor Day?"
"Umm... Labor Day is when everything goes on sale!"
--Kids Say The Darndest Things.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 08-31-2002 12:52 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As an Italian myself, I am sure that is what the artist intended. That is my favorite signal to use by the way.

Dave

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2002 03:47 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The pose seems to imitate the famous WWII Norman Rockwell "Rosie the Riveter" war production poster, where Rosie is rolling up her sleeve to get the job (winning the war while asserting women's equality)done.

In this version, the worker clenches her right fist to reveal her bicep muscles while rolling up her sleeve with the fingers of the left hand. Were she making the (universal, not just Italian) F-U gesture, the left hand would be clenched in a fist, wouldn't it?

But however one chooses to read it, I think the challenging spirit of
labor comes across strongly.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-31-2002 04:23 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Com'on now Dave......Italian? I don't think so, at least it doesn't show. Anyway Happy long weekend everyone!
Mark

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2002 01:46 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't Labor Day the day when everybody in management takes the day off?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-02-2002 10:03 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Labor Day!! (my first day off in WEEKS)

Steve
IATSE Local #224 and #815

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2002 12:41 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rain, rain, rain...no Labor Day parade in NYC this year...NYC Central Labor Council holding a rally Tuesday at Battery Park (5PM) to honor the contributions of working people as well as the victims of 9/11... rain, RAIN, RAIN, RAIN, rain rain drizzle, drizzle, drizzle, U.S.Open spectators drenched, but "Serena's Sunny Outlook Keeps Her Winning"... rain, rain, rain...Austin Street Fair in Forest Hills, charcoal smoke and drizzling mist... rain, RAIN,RAIN, HARD RAIN...some highway flooding... my skylight leaking...backyard patio awash..rain, rain, HARD RAIN...(da capo al fine.)
Gerard

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 09-02-2002 01:26 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it that bad Gerard? We just recorded our second (since records began) rainless August here (August is normally our monsoon season). We've had about 1/4" so far this year and Lake Mead is now about 65' below normal level but of course we 'Vegans continue to use water at twice the national per capita average. Nevaditude lives!

Back on topic, happy Labor Day to all y'all!

Paul
Recovering SoCal volunteer sushi chef
Former member IATSE Local 720 ('74-'94)
"If I so much as see or smell fake crab meat during the next month I'm gonna scream!"

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2002 01:39 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wondered where all our rain went Gerard. If we had some of what you have they could have put that blasted "Biscuit" fire (now at 500,000 acres) here in SW Oregon out long ago. BTW, if all you guys are taking Labor Day off, who's running the theatres? Nice to see the IA is still active in some areas. Have a great day everyone!

Bob
The Old Showman

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: