Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Starguide III Receivers

Author Topic: Starguide III Receivers
Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 08-28-2002 10:14 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK - for your radio station guys, don't do what I just did.

Supposedly, we were supposed to air a Washington Husky football game. It was supposed use a different channel and frequency of the Starguide receiver. OK, so far so good.

One problem....the Starguide receiver was supplied by ABC....on GE-8. I had an open port to use on that receiver. So, I called Sporting Radio Master Control to have the receiver authorized to pick up the broadcasts. They did authorize the receiver and that promptly blew off the ABC news feed on Port "A".

Master Control is on AMC-8, not GE-8. Different frequency. After stringing emergency audio cables from another ABC receiver to feed the main bus, I was out of trouble.

ABC had to re-authorize the orginal receiver to kick off SNRMC and walk me through re-configuration of the Starguide III.

After I got ABC News back on the air, I called SNRMC to let them know that this will not work. Naturally, they gracefully apologized.

Now I know why radio stations have a whole raft of Starguide receivers since SATCOM C-5 went away. Now I know why other engineers are bitching.

The Husky broadcast? Well, supposedly we will have another Starguide III tomorrow to add to our pile of Starguides.

Definately a bad day at the office.

|  IP: Logged

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-29-2002 02:39 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Now I know why radio stations have a whole raft of Starguide receivers

Ugh. RIP beautiful dependable bank of Scientific Atlanta card cages.

On the other hand, need to conform to Starguide has caused an end to slacking, sloppy automation tone schemes at the program provider end.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 08-29-2002 03:15 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing like having a big pile of Starguide III's - one for each aired program.

We never used the Scientific Atlanta or Fairchild receivers for net cue programs, but it sure was nice to have 1 receiver that would satisfy 60% of our needs. Now, we have 6 so far.....4 Starguide III's, and 2 Universals.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: