Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Pedestals (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Pedestals
Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2002 04:31 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Ok,
How crazy would you think I was if I said that I was thinking about making a pedestal?
And before anybody says anything, yes I am aware of the weight involved.
I am still in the load calculation stage but I believe I can make a nice custom stand that will not weigh a ton and do it using various sizes of Square tubing and sheet metal. I want a four point that I can use to hold the amps and stuff as I like self-containment in my equipment.
Please don't think I am cheap or nuts but I like to make things and this will give me something to do.
If I decide to go along with this project then I will share photos if anyone is interested.
Anyway, that’s my latest project among others.
Has anybody else ever done this before?
Until next time.

------------------
Samuel Hunter Sr.

Death to DLP (Video)

|  IP: Logged

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 08-28-2002 08:47 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the picture warehouse, someone built a combination pedistal and tower. Look under Glastonbury Festival, its quite interesting.

Josh

------------------
"Film is made of silver, video is made of rust"
'nuf said

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 08-28-2002 09:26 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the old Skagit Drive-in in Burlington WA, the pedistals were made of concrete. It had a Western Electric post and lamp table. It worked....at least it didn't move until the theatre was torn down.

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2002 09:33 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Concrete!?
Damn, that’s carrying it a little far.
Being I will be moving in about 6-8 months I guess I better not schedule a cement truck just yet.
It’s too bad I can't weld aluminum or I would make my pedestal out of it.

------------------
Samuel Hunter Sr.

Death to DLP (Video)

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-29-2002 02:45 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There have been some pretty lightweight & spindly pedestals made, I've never been fascinated enough to check the little ones.

On the quickie DIY front, I envision something from cut up & drilled pieces of an industrial shelving kit. Legs of that drilled angle stuff, two sections per leg, overlap the sections as needed for length.

Jeff Stricker
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-29-2002 11:40 AM      Profile for Jeff Stricker   Email Jeff Stricker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam, here's a "portable" pedistal I cobbled from an old heavy-duty printer stand.

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-29-2002 12:04 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Jeff,
Man thats cool.
Hum maybe I need to do that. I was going to mount mine in the traditional manner.
Anyway, great shot!

------------------
Samuel Hunter Sr.

Death to DLP (Video)

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 08-29-2002 01:11 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeff, I like your lamp table support. Kind of reminds me what I have seen at a theatre where an ORC XH-16S lamphouse is propped up with a 2x4 and a concrete block.

That is a beautiful Motiograph and SH-1000 you have there.

Jeff Stricker
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-30-2002 06:51 AM      Profile for Jeff Stricker   Email Jeff Stricker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the nice words guys! It does roll around pretty good. That's just a 350W homebrew quartz-halogen lamp. It serves the purpose for tinkering and short-throw experiments I do in my workshop/hamradio shack.

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-30-2002 09:41 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am thinking about using a 750 Lb engine stand. Its about the right height and has castors on it. Plus its ready made and all I have to do is weld a mounting plate onto it to mate up to the soundhead.

------------------
Samuel Hunter Sr.

Death to DLP (Video)

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-31-2002 01:20 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At one time century had a awfull one that was a fileing cabnet filled with cement

The Slim jim rated only slightly better

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2002 02:44 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Gorden,
What was it called? The file 13 model?

------------------
Samuel Hunter Sr.

Death to DLP (Video)

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 08-31-2002 05:34 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Century "heavy box" version was their marketing response to the Simplex box / slim jim pedestals on the market in the late 1970's. Since most of our sales are international, we find the further away from the U.S.A. the less desire for a console set-up.
Richard Fowler
TVP-Theatre & Video Products Inc. www.tvpmiami.com

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 08-31-2002 06:34 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I distinctly remember a couple of Simplex (possibly RCA) pedistals that were shortened (in height) by about 1.5 feet. Whether they were taylor-made for the application or stock, I don't really know.

It looked like it came out of a scrap yard crusher of some sort. Those were in Ellensburg, Washington.

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2002 01:42 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Part one of my Pedestal project.

------------------
Samual Hunter Sr.

KC5ZSL

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: