Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Superman: Man Of Steel (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Superman: Man Of Steel
Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 08-28-2002 03:14 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
New info on the on again off again superman movies. It looks as if Wolfgang Petersen, hired to help the Superman/Batman combo movie, has left that project, and also that super duper director McG has left the Superman V project as well.

The latest is that the next superman film will be called SUPERMAN: MAN OF STEEL, written by J.J. Abrams, with no director set as of yet, however helmer Brett Ratner of Rush Hour and Red Dragon fame, is deeply interested in this project and is in talks as we speak.

My thought on this..

DOES ANYONE ELSE WANT TO DIRECT THIS??? I mean about 20 people have been on and off the project as directors, Including Tim Burton who dumped to go do planet of the apes. You would think that this is a job that anyone can do right? Lets vote on who would be the best director..

My vote is..

Richard Donner.

For some reason he just seems like he could direct a superman movie.

Dave

|  IP: Logged

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2002 06:13 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ratner will be fine. I think he's a better director than both Petersen and McG, and neither of them were bad.

A while ago, I read an interview with Robert Rodriguez somewhere in which he said that he was offered the directing job back when Kevin Smith was writing it. He turned it down because he had just made about 50 movies in a row and was too tired to direct another one. But that would have been perfect.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 08-28-2002 06:46 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
I vote for James Ivory.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 08-28-2002 07:07 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard Donner would be GREAT! Get him on the phone. He owes me a favor.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 08-28-2002 08:43 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brett Ratner a better director than Wolfgang Petersen? Maybe McG, but not Petersen. No way. What else has Ratner done besides "Rush Hour"? Wolfgang has films like "Das Boot," "In the Line of Fire" and "Air Force One" to his credit. He is one of the best action film directors in Hollywood.

I think choosing Richard Donner to helm a new Superman project is an excellent suggestion, mainly because of his resounding success with the first Superman film (of which, in my opinion, is still the best contemporary super hero movie made).

As far as rising directors go, I would choose someone with a full name rather than anyone parading under an "MC" handle. I like what Antoine Fuqua did with "Training Day," and given a well developed script this fellow could put together a hard charged Superman action flick. Christoper McQuarrie (the writer of "The Usual Suspects") did a good job with "The Way of the Gun". I really like the work of Alex Proyas and David Fincher, although both do works perhaps too dark for any super hero film (even if Batman is involved). Luc Besson might be a good choice.

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2002 09:32 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Antoine Fuqua! Yes! That man is a genius. He would be perfect. He definitely gets my vote.

As for Ratner, I like the three movies of his that I've seen. But I think his best work has been his music videos. Mariah Carey's HEARTBREAKER and Heavy D's NUTTIN' BUT LOVE are both excellent, but his masterpiece is Madonna's BEAUTIFUL STRANGER. I have total faith in him on the basis of that video alone.

But not as much faith as I have in Antoine Fuqua. It's about time that he started to get the respect he deserves.

Adam Fraser
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-29-2002 12:24 AM      Profile for Adam Fraser   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Fraser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody but John Woo, he just ruins any movie he touches. Just imagine, Superman doing wire fighting.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 08-29-2002 11:40 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with the negative judgment on Woo. He cut back a little on his penchant for what I call "bullshit direction" with "Windtalkers," but the war sequences were so incoherent (not to mention the budget seemed so minimal) that the film wound up feeling like a bad episode of "The A-Team" (remember that 1980's series?).

Woo just gets caught up in all the pretty pouting poser shit, 1,000 slo mo intro shots of the hero walking in and a lot of other crap that has nothing to do with showing a story. Bullshit direction. Style works if it actually lends something to the story. Much of what he does detracts from it. I don't know why he is seen for being such a filmmaking legend just because he has people in gun fights toting two .45 autos (or two of any kind of gun). Normally, a filmmaker gets respect for making an overall great film. I have not seen a John Woo directed movie that would qualify as great, or even pretty good, yet.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-29-2002 06:01 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave - Richard Donner already did direct a Superman movie...two of them, in fact (Superman and Superman II.)

I would love to see him do the new one. I think Superman II is the best superhero movie ever.

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-29-2002 07:45 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rob Cohen -- director of The Fast and the Furious and xXx

He'll make Superman kick ass!

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 08-29-2002 08:08 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Woo definitely understands flash. But he seems to be have a problem with substance.

I vote for Richard Donner. Besides "Superman", does anyone remember "Ladyhawke"?

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-30-2002 12:06 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the cool thing about Woo's style is that it does a great job of compensating for the lack of substance in the script. For example, in MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE II, the script was pretty bad. But we still cared for those characters a great deal, mainly because of the manner in which they were presented to us.

As for Donner, maybe I just need to see it again, but I really didn't think that SUPERMAN was all that good. I've never understood what people see in that movie. In my opinion, the best comic book movie of all time is Bruce Timm's BATMAN: MASK OF THE PHANTASM.

Adam Fraser
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-30-2002 01:00 PM      Profile for Adam Fraser   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Fraser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought MI:2 lacked substance also, but I thought everything else that the director had control of was also horrible (fight scenes etc.). There were terrible technical inconsistincies in the movie, the worst being the motorcycle chase. (One scene the motorcycle has a knobby tire and the next it has street tires, pretty quick tire change at over 100mph!). I'm not sure if the director has control over these things, but he could have at least avoided close ups of the tires to avoid such things. I think the movie could have been at least an average action flick had Woo not directed it, slow motion fighting and wire work just doesnt do it for me.

Josh Kirkhart
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-30-2002 01:31 PM      Profile for Josh Kirkhart   Email Josh Kirkhart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard Donner did not direct Superman II, he shot bits and pieces (most of it in the Daily Planet offices)but was replaced with Richard Lester by the Salkinds.

Ratner definitly has the talent required, just the shots in the Red Dragon trailer are enough for me.
Give it back to Burton and lets se what he can do, if he wants it.
Fuqua is definitly talented and under rated.

All these guys are fine and dandy as long as they don't pull a Schumacher and give supes huge plastic nipples.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 08-31-2002 01:15 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Mission: Impossible 2" was a stinking piece of . Script? What script? All John Woo did with this film was think of a bunch of camera shots he thought would look cool and force them together in some weak outline pretending to be a script.

The first "MI" film had a decent script by Robert Towne and credible direction by Brian DePalma. That movie felt like a spy movie, and was far more entertaining than its sequel. The CIA break-in was an awesome set piece for the movie. I can't remember squat about "MI:2" because it didn't have anything resembling dramatic tension. "MI:2" was a 2 hour long Jovan Musk perfume commercial. Just a bunch of extreme-slo-mo camera shots of Tom Cruise and Thandie Newton pouting for the camera. Do that on a Calvin Klein billboard. Don't do it in Pavavision, especially when my $7 was invovled.

Concerning Rob Cohen, he might have done a decent job with "Dragonheart" and "Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story," but I didn't like "The Fast and The Furious" and really hated "Daylight" (it doesn't matter to me if both those films had nicely aggressive surround sound, the films still sucked). Rob Cohen can put together some good action stuff, but I think he is too weak on the character/actor performance side to be able to do a great job with a "Superman" sequel.

At least a guy like Antoine Fuqua can compose some highly charged action sequences and balance that against good character work in the script and solid performances by his actors. "Bait" was a turd of a film, but I could see glimmers in that film of how Fuqua could do a lot better with much better material --and he did just that with "Training Day." Who knows? Fuqua could fall flat on his face under the weight (and producer/executive pressure) of a "Superman" project. But judging by the specific kinds of shot choices he makes and the energy that comes out of how they are edited together, I think he could do an excellent job as long as he is able to stay focused.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: