Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » "The Black Stallion" in 70mm?

Author Topic: "The Black Stallion" in 70mm?
Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2002 01:42 AM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a move-over/continuation of a thread initiated in the Feature Info & Trailer section (The Black Stallion 1979) for those who wish to continue the discussion. Brad has asked me to move it out of that section over to here.

Jeffry Johnson wrote:

quote:
I have a letter from Ludwig Seiler, Production Co-ordinator at Ontario Place Corporation, dated 1980 November 20 that The Black Stallion was available in 70mm.

I wonder if THE BLACK STALLION was screened at the Ontario Place Cinesphere? The Cinesphere seems to have held many special 70mm screenings and fests over the years. Among other titles, they ran STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE a few times (and screenings of that in 70mm have been rare). Perhaps anyone with familiarity with Toronto (Gordon?) can chime in on this one based on familiarity with that region.

quote:
"John Willis' Screen World 1980 Volume 31" (ISBN 0-517-541408) lists The Black Stallion as an October release.

To clarify an earlier piece of information I mentioned in the other thread about a 12/14/79 release date. That date represented a Southern California engagement. To clarify further:

10/13/79: New York Film Festival screening

10/18/79: New York engagement (Festival Theatre)

10/21/79: San Francisco Film Festival screening

11/09/79: Seattle engagement (Crest)

12/14/79: Los Angeles engagement (Century Plaza)

03/21/80: Nationwide release

quote:
"Current and Forthcoming Releases Available with Dolby Stereo Sound-Tracks Include:" from 1980 September (S80/2803/2838) and 1980 October (S80/2838/2922) list The Black Stallion as a "35mm Dolby Stereo optical without surround" release.

I've pointed out in previous discussions the unreliability of film listings published by Dolby Labs. I have no intentions of bashing the work of Dolby here as I'm well aware of the difficulty and challenges in maintaining such a list. Nonetheless, these listings simply cannot be considered proof of anything. I could provide a very lengthy listing of titles on their master list that are missing 70mm six-track notations, as well as 70mm notations on their list that represent six-track mixes rather than actual releases, "A" vs. "SR" discrepancies, "SRD" discrepancies, etc, etc.

Dave,
RE: THE BLACK STALLION at Edwards Newport. Since you mentioned not actually seeing the film at that theater, I'm guessing your recollection is in seeing the newspaper advertisements for the film. I checked my ad collection and none of the Southern California engagements for the film note 70mm six-track Dolby Stereo. Plenty of 35mm Dolby Stereo engagements, though (including Newport).

|  IP: Logged

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2002 02:04 AM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back in December of 1979, a friend of mine who was an assistant theatre manager told me his friend who worked at the MGM film labs had said there were 70mm prints of The Black Stallion there(right before release). Now, this friend didn't work in the actual lab, but in the warehouse where the prints were stored. I told my friend I doubt The Black Stallion was released in 70mm because the LA run at a prestige house (the Plitt Century Plaza) was in 35mm Dolby Stereo only and the NY Times ad didn't indicate 70mm for that market, either. So he decided I was probably right and thought his friend was wrong. Of course, as we see today, there were 70mm prints of films that showed outside of the two big cities. So it's certainly possible one or two were struck, but for whatever reason weren't used in the two big first-run showcase cities.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 08-26-2002 11:18 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am probably wrong about Black Stallion playing in 70mm at Big Newport. I've never seen the movie. But for whatever reason I have it stuck in my head that it was advertised in 70mm at Big Newport, but that was a long time and many cases of beer ago.

I am *very* sure about Big Newport Screen #2 being upgraded to 70mm for the release of Star Trek II. I was told this by James Edwards Sr. who was running the company at the time.

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2002 11:54 AM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I should also add that the source at MGM labs (actually, a warehouse employee) had told my friend at the same time that Star Trek: TMP also had 70mm prints made, but of course none debuted in commercial theatres on a first-run basis. (Wasn't enough time, according to the trades).

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: