Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Bollywood (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Bollywood
Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-22-2002 05:13 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can someone please tell me where the term "Bollywood" comes from? I know that's what they call Indian movies for some weird reason. But the term "Bollywood" makes no sense whatsoever and I think it may, in fact, make me a bit angry! It's one of the most moronic terms I have ever heard.

It sounds like a 3rd world rip-off of a true quality product. Like Nintedendo. Or Pyoneer. Or Phlem-Tech.

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 08-22-2002 05:17 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
By golly, bolly rhymes with golly! Shee-it. (golly!)

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-22-2002 05:17 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe the "B" is for Bombay, added in place of the "H" in Hollywood, as Bombay is essentially the Hollywood of India as far as movies there are concerned, I guess.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-22-2002 05:19 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Their movies aren't worth anything if they can't even muster up a bit of originality!

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-22-2002 05:23 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aw c'mon Joe! You ever see the opening-credits scene in Ghost World?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-22-2002 06:16 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually several Bollywood titles have made it to the top North American Boxoffice spot All have Dolby Digital and DTS tracks and many are EX releases as well

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 08-22-2002 06:20 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
India has four major regional film centers with Bombay ( now called Mumbai ) the most well known outside of the country.
Richard Fowler
TVP-theatre & Video Products Inc. www.tvpmiami.com

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-22-2002 06:25 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course, there's nothing that original about Bollywood films (Does this term exist in India, or is it what Americans call it?)

I saw a couple of weeks ago about 10 minutes of a Bollywood film shot in 3-D with "state-of-the-art" digital effects (LOL!) have to admit, though, the 3-D worked well. It was the U.S.'s Stereovision process. It was shown in conjunction with the Nuart's 3-D film festival.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-22-2002 06:35 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bollywood is there own term and in fact they have a digitally animated teaser on the head of most prints for there digital channel called Bollywood 4 You

THere were several 3d indian films made back in the past 3d boom

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-22-2002 06:47 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have seen the "Bollywood" teaser they put on the head of most of their movies. It looks like the Dolby Digital City trailer. No Bollywood movie has ever made it to the top 10 in the US I believe.

I'm not saying that we Americans only make good movies (far from true), but I did think "Lagaan" was quite laughable. Of course they win their little softball game and IMMEDIATELY AFTER THEY WIN the drought ends with a single rain storm! I live in Denver and we are in the middle of a drought and it's gonna take more than one rain storm to end it!

I have also noticed that all Bollywood films seem to be musicals. And the lip sync in the songs is always horribly off.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-22-2002 08:19 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last summer Mohabbetein and one other the title Tera Mera Saith Hain (i think) went to #1 in north america

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 08-22-2002 09:12 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bolly, Bolly was a girl,

Bolly wally had no curl,

Bolly wally wasn't Bolly Wally

Was He?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-22-2002 09:29 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay Bob how many martinis is it

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-22-2002 11:01 PM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So if Bombay is now called Mumbai, shouldnt they start calling them MOLLYWOOD?

------------------
Find me online
AOL: Dexter Caldwell
yahoo!: dexter_caldwell

"It is the opinion of the entire staff the Dexter is criminally insane."

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-23-2002 12:40 AM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bollywood films don't even pretend that the actors do their own singing. In their version of the Academy Awards, they actually have nominations for best song dubber, or something to that effect.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: