Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Query about disused Australian Drive-ins

Author Topic: Query about disused Australian Drive-ins
Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2002 10:20 PM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all

This question is directed to those 'in the know' in the film industry in Australia.

As you would be aware there are still a number of old disused drive-in theatres scattered around Australia. Yarrawonga, Coober Pedy, Loxton, Cobram, Grantville spring to mind as examples.

My question is - are there any travelling projectionists who go around Australia or Victoria and screen films at these venues? I have heard that travelling projectionists exist in Australia but do not know whether they ever use these disused outdoor screens.

The reason for my question is that I was musing over the drive-insdownunder.com.au web site the other night and was looking at the Cobram drive-in which appears to be relatively intact. I thought that it would be a great weekend away to be able to go to one of these old disused theatres for a one-off screening.

In a similar vein, it struck me that it would not be too diffult to rent a copy of Grease (on 16mm), grab one's 16mm projector, grab a small portable 240v generator and hook up the sound output from the projector to a small fm transmitter for a bit of fun. One would only need to get permission from the owner of the Drive-in, make sure there are no bulls on the field, dodge the cowpats and one could have one's own private 16mm screening of Grease on the big screen. Anybody ever done this on an old disused Drive-in screen? Looks like fun and pretty simple to do. The only problem might be the amount of luminosity need to light up a 90ft screen? Would 2000 watts be sufficient?

cheers Peter

|  IP: Logged

Bernard Tonks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2002 05:17 AM      Profile for Bernard Tonks   Email Bernard Tonks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Taken from another Topic.

DRIVE-IN WARNING SIGN – COOBER PEDY, SOUTH AUSTRALIA.

This was once shown twice each night at the Coober Pedy Drive-in. Local miners who drove their work vehicles needed the reminder!

Your post reminds me of that great Australian film of the travelling projectionist “THE PICTURE SHOWMAN” which I would love to get hold of on DVD or video.

In the UK 16mm prints are becoming a thing of the past, the renters now release product pro. DVD. A mobile operator I know particularly wanted to hire “Titanic” on 16mm film, he had to pay for the print to be struck which was very costly. He was of course not allowed to keep the copy, the renter gaining! Fortunately the operator recovered his costs and made a profit. Our village hall used to run 16mm, now it’s mostly pro. DVD. The projectionist told me that it is better than showing bad copies, and has the added advantage of stereo sound.

If it was me I would use 35mm portable equipment. However there is included in a Topic somewhere I seem to remember of 16mm shown in a Drive-in.

Each time I have visited the States I have missed seeing a Drive-in movie. I must try Melbourne when I visit relatives in the not too distant future.

Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2002 06:11 AM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Thank you Bernard

I think you may have misunderstood my post a little. My idea about using a 16mm projector is not for commercial purposes but rather simply for a bit of fun - ie having a drive-in all to oneself, being both patron and projectionist. Showing for a profit would entail all sorts of legal, commercial and copyright problems. If doing for oneself its a lot simpler. The choice of 16mm is simply because the projectors are cheaper and are more the sort of thing a home enthusiast is likely to have.

By the way when you visit Melbourne next you will have the choice of 3 reasonably local drive-ins. The first is in Coburg in our Northern Suburbs, the Second is at Dromana on the Mornington Peninsula and finally the new Luner Twin Drive-in will be operating at Dandenong later this year. My personal preference is Dromana becuase it has that country drive-in atmosphere that only a local operator can provide.

cheers Peter

Bernard Tonks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2002 08:20 AM      Profile for Bernard Tonks   Email Bernard Tonks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Peter, I have printed off the details of the Drive-ins. Also I will visit your interesting moved website posted.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: