Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Equipment straps

Author Topic: Equipment straps
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-13-2002 05:04 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone know where I can find those large straps that are used in situations where a piece of equipment must be strapped to a roll around cart or special mount?

|  IP: Logged

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 08-13-2002 05:49 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You mean those wide web straps with hooks and come-alongs? I thought Home Despot carried those.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-13-2002 05:50 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
They might. It's never occured to me to check there and I've never had a need for them until a current project I have now.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-13-2002 06:04 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Home Depot does have them...sometimes called Packing Straps. You can sometimes find them at CostCo or SAMS clubs too. And they come in all the standard colors!

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 08-13-2002 06:36 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is a "come-along" ?

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 08-13-2002 08:19 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Manny,

A come-along is the ratchet mechanism used to tighten web tie-down straps. At least that's what the stage carpenters and riggers I used to work with called those things.

Paul

Adam Fraser
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2002 12:08 AM      Profile for Adam Fraser   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Fraser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,
If you dont have luck there or can't find the quality you want, motorcycle dealers or places that sell equipment for semi-truck drivers may also carry them. The latter would be the strongest and probably be the most expensive.

------------------
Adam Fraser
www.pinestheatre.com

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2002 01:00 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vernacular is sort of regional; I've heard the ratchets on cargo straps just called "ratchets".

Typically I think when most people refer to a come-along they refer to a ratchet hoist. A typical example is here: http://www.foxindustrial.com/coffinghoist/cablehoists.htm

They vary slightly in design, & may use chain instead of cable.

Usually it refers to the cable version, which is astonishingly, strong, versatile & portable - cable can be more easily used horizontally. They're standard on rescue trucks, are employed for lifting engines from autos, disassembling industrial machinery onsite, pulling dead hunted animals here & there, shifting architctural features, etc. etc. They come in various sizes, etc., can be found at Home Despot & Lowe's not Loew's Hardware, etc. Excellent, versatile, essential items.

They're also a frequent cause of sudden grisly death when employed in unthinking ways: attached to inappropriate anchors & handling points, disregarded load ratings, failure to examine the unit for damage, etc.

Tim Sherman
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2002 01:36 AM      Profile for Tim Sherman   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Sherman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam's club carries both the regular ratchet tie downs and the heavy duty semi type ones.

------------------

http://www.autoramadrivein.com

come on out to the drive-in and spend a night out with the stars"

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: