Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Odeon Newcastle to Close

Author Topic: Odeon Newcastle to Close
Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 08-13-2002 07:10 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a meeting with the marketing manager at the Tyneside Cinema in Newcastle this morning, at which it emerged during the conversation that the Odeon on Pilgrim St. is scheduled to close in October or November.

Apparently a lot of original 1930s fittings and equipment still remain in there, including mercury arc rectifiers in a room adjacent to the projection box of the old (single screen) auditorium.

Are the Projected Picture Trust and/or the Cinema Theatre Association on to this?

|  IP: Logged

Paul Cassidy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2002 07:35 AM      Profile for Paul Cassidy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Cassidy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I hope some one is on to it , as once these are gone all you are left with is the memories , in Auckland we have only 3 former Suburban Picture Palaces left in their original condition , The "Crystal Palce" Mt Eden ,still running Bollywood (with me as the projectionist) "Hollywood" whose owner just past away and the "New Orpheus" or it,s common name the "Awful House" which on a recent photographic visit was just that , but still in a restorable state with the original Rectifiers in place and most of the seats still in the Balcony , the sloping stalls floor replaced with a flat floor when used as a Dance studio ,now it's used as a church .

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2002 09:56 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I heard about this some time back, it's being redeveloped if I recall right. Marks and Spencer springs to mind, but my memory is hazy!

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 08-13-2002 06:09 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pity, there will soon be none left. It is easier to find 1910ish first generation cinemas in something like original condition than 1930s ones. At least one cinema from this period ought to be preserved, complete with 1930s equipment.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: