Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Miramax gets into bed with Coors (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Miramax gets into bed with Coors
Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2002 10:24 AM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Disney-owned Miramax is taking big bucks from Coors beer for corporate sponsorship (premieres) and product placement (in Miramax Films).

Yes, Coors -- the brewery whose money has financed right-wing and neofascist organizations around the world.

|  IP: Logged

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 08-10-2002 11:15 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I read this article. I find it very humourous that people who call certain people and thier organizations "right-winged" anything are always "left-winged" something. It's all about politics and getting power for yourself, at the expense of someone else.

Welcome to the good old USA, where all speech is tolerated, no matter what side of the fence you are on. When it comes to politics, I prefer to remain squarely ON TOP of the fence, kicking both parties right in the ass.

Dave

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2002 12:13 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, you mention "Big bucks" but that first link doesn't mention a dollar amount anywhere. I guess that's just something you made up to make your point, Charles.

But thanks for allowing me to read that article on Coors, it really enlightened me as to how nice the company is to their employees. The fact that they offer their employees in same-sex relationships the benefits of married employees is really landmark. I don't know a number, but I would guess less than 1% of companies in this country do that.

The author admits Coors donates to organizations both left and right, yet she still chooses to call them right-wingers. That makes no sense, but that's the kind of arguements those liberal wackos love to make. It would make as much sense for a right-winger to write a similar article complaining about the same-sex benefits, disregarding the contributions to their own movement. Further, the article skirts around any real details, and the only source quoted is an 11 year old book. If you want to use 11 year old material for your arguement, fine, but I prefer things a little more current, like what a company is doing now.

So thanks again for having me read that article, Charles. I've enjoyed a Coors or two in the past, but now I'll have to buy a lot more. It seems as if they treat their employees with fairness and respect, and that's something a lot more companies should do.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 08-10-2002 02:02 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I usally try to stay out of the political conversations, but Charles is wrong (falling for the left-wing drivel) once again.
http://www.snopes.com/business/alliance/coors.htm

-Aaron

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 08-10-2002 02:54 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Memo to self: Pick up a 6-pack of Coors.

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2002 12:35 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After reading that other article, note to self:

Pick up a 6-pack of Coors to drink with David and anyone else that isn't easily brainwashed.

------------------
"Asleep at the switch? I wasn't asleep, I was drunk!" - Homer Simpson

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 08-11-2002 06:19 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2002 10:55 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I find it very humourous that people who call certain people and thier organizations "right-winged" anything are always "left-winged" something.

Yeah, like when people who call certain people and their organizations "liberal" anything are always "right-winged" something.

=TMP=

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 08-13-2002 02:12 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I pretty much asserted that in my post. Didn't see the need to empahsize it, but thanks anyway.

Besides, I am most decidedly NOT either. I am independant. I don't let anyone tell me how or what to think. Most people do, but shouldn't.

Dave

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2002 09:07 AM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Love those independents. Bitch about everything, but never have to defend anything. I would rather have someone like Charles take a stance and defend it rather than claim independence and bitch about everything. Me personally? I support the elephant, although I don't harbor any illusions that Bush is perfect. Lesser of two evils is sometimes good enough. I look forward to the posts during the 2004 elections.

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2002 07:37 AM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Miramax is no "liberal" or "independent" company. Its actions in the past 18 months have put it to the right of Rupert Murdoch:
  • After 9/11/2001, shelved The Quiet American -- and told the director that picture would never be released.
  • Was offered Bowling for Columbine -- and rejected it.
  • Financed and released Full Frontal, which many (Brad included) knew was all but unwatchable.
  • Signed a product-placement contact with the Coors brewery, owned by one of America's most right-wing families.
  • Backpedaled on The Quiet American after being publicly accused (by the director and the star) of censorship.
  • Refused to release People I Know (with Al Pacino) because it shows Rudolph Giuliani in an unflattering light.
  • Canceled all its advertising with the Village Voice -- a large New York weekly -- because of the paper's anti-Bush/anti-Giuliani stories.
  • Opened The Quiet American with little publicity, then refused to extend or expand the engagement.
  • Drenched the one-sheets for Gangs of New York with the American flag. Nothing like jingoism to sell a long-delayed, overbudget movie.
That story about Harvey Weinstein in The New Yorker magazine this month was too gentle. If Disney didn't have its own problems with cronyism and expensive flops, the Weinstein brothers would have been fired -- for cause. Miramax is No. 10 in box office market share and will likely finish the year at No. 10.
After all, what else do you expect from a studio that has been publicly accused of buying awards?

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2002 06:40 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*shakes head sadly*
You know who you sound like Charles? You sound like some ultra-right wingers I know who are always accusing 'the media' of being pro-liberal. Same stick (conspiracy theories), different ideaology. Its really just sad.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 12-19-2002 08:31 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Charles maybe YOU [Eek!] should have my job to get your Miramax storys
right. Because what YOU are saying is SO funny [Big Grin]

Because last week I told Harvey to FuXX-off, because he was
being a [bs] , on the start-up of a screening. Yes, I'm still
alive, that. I've been with the company for a few years. After
the show, I got thanks. Because I did the show right.

So Charlie, are you flying a desk? Oh are you running a theatre????

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-21-2002 05:25 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] [Roll Eyes]

Wether he flies a desk or runs a theatre he sure knows more about the company I work for than I do [puke] [Roll Eyes]

Loews makes nice with fox in NYC

Landmark Theatres Sold

Fox plays hardball with AMC

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-21-2002 01:30 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good for Miramax! Many a company has passed on a film that ended up making big bucks. Just because they passed on Columbine doesn't mean a conspiracy is afoot. Also, with "Gangs Of New York", the tagline is "America was built in the streets". How is juxtaposing a flag on the one-sheets inappropriate? You know what's sad? I live in Georgia, in the heart of the south, where the pride of the Confederacy still runs rampant in some parts, yet I see more American flags (the flag of Sherman, who burned Atlanta) flying on houses than I saw on my recent trip to the "enlightened" city of San Francisco. Patriotism/flag flying is something that should be encouraged, not discouraged!!!

Also, so what if they canceled their advertising in the propaganda paper "Village Voice"? What a double standard! People get applauded for taking stands such as this and pulling advertisements from conservative periodicals. Remember when David Horowitz ran his ad "10 Reasons Why Reparations Are A Bad Idea"? The outcry on campuses against newspapers that ran this ad was HUGE! Here's just one story.

http://www.browndailyherald.com/stories.cfm?ID=4172

And this was a protest against a PAID ad, not an article! Talk about censorship!!!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: