Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Damn Pentium 4 Chip!

Author Topic: Damn Pentium 4 Chip!
Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2002 01:31 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll preface this by saying I'm NOT an expert computer builder, but I do know enough to be dangerous on occasions.

Our new house got struck by lighting several weeks ago and it blew out all of the telephone systems and the computers. The smart thing to do would've been to turn it in on my homeowner's insurance, but since computer parts are relatively cheap nowadays, I figured I could save myself a few hundred bucks if I could repair the computer for less than the $500.00 insurance deductable.

I price-out things like the motherboard, and found a SOYO Dragon P4 board on-line for $82.00, then I find a 1.6Ghz P4 chip w/ heatsink and fan for $150.00. Ordered them both and they all arrived on the same day last Friday.

CAREFULLY reading the instructions on "How to mount your P4 processor to the motherboard", it noted in the instructions to "Use the enclosed syringe of heat sink compound" and apply it to the top of the processor. Once mounted in the motherboard, I do just that, and then proceed to mount the Heatsink and fan to the processor and board.

Once it's all mounted up and ready to go I finish completing the rest of the computer, and power it up for the first time. Nothing happens. Try again... nothing happens. I fool with this damn thing for 3 hours before I got frustrated and said "***K it!! - I'm taking this thing to a computer shop".

Today I recieved a call from the computer shop, and they proceed to tell me that by applying the heatsink compound to the processor, I fried the new processor - which in turn fries the new motherboard.

I explained to them exactly what I did, and they said to call Intel. I just got off the phone with Intel and they said, "Because you applied the heatsink compound to the processor - you VOIDED YOUR WARRANTY". Then this Intel wench tells me.. "Sir, our chips are not designed to be installed by end users"... and then she hung up!

I'm now out $282.00 + shipping - all for following instructions.

I just had to VENT!

------------------
Barry Floyd
Floyd Entertainment Group
Lebanon, Tennessee

Stardust Drive-In Theatre
Watertown, Tennessee

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-09-2002 03:23 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Ummmm, that doesn't sound right. You should be able to install that yourself without any problems. You put the heatsink compound on the top of the processor, right? Then the fan went on top of that, right? Did you make sure to plug in the fan's power cable? Did you make sure the motherboard was mounted properly using all of the screws and standoffs? Does it try and do ANYTHING when you boot it up?

I apologize if these are "no duh" questions, but it could just be something simple. By the way, you did use the fan that came with the processor, right?

Another dumb question, you did replace the power supply, right?

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 08-09-2002 03:29 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only thing I can think of that would cause that to happen would be in some of the heat sink compound go onto the pins on the chip. (It's conductive.) Other than that, I don't think there's any reason it should hurt.

None the less... Intel said "No heat sink!" IF that's the truth then do be it. Where it comes down to, IMHO, is the company who told you to apply the heat sink to the chip in the first place. If you followed their instructions to the letter and that action caused the equipment to self-destruct I would imagine that THEY should be liable for your problem.

Often, companies use disclaimers and exclusions that are supposed to protect them from damages caused by end users' actions but it was THEY who told you to do this. I would imagine that it would be THEM who should be responsible for replacing it.

If a cop told you to park your car at the edge of a cliff then open the door and get out, would you comply? No! Of course not! It's patently obvious that you'd fall to your death! You shouldn't comply.
On the other hand, you would have no way of knowing that following the instructions you were given would kill the computer.

Maybe you should give the company a call and let them have a piece of your mind.

John Westlund
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2002 04:04 PM      Profile for John Westlund   Email John Westlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also make sure you got the power switch hooked up to the motherboard in the right spot.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 08-09-2002 08:47 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The computer store you took it to should have checked this but make sure that the CMOS normal/clear switch/jumper is in fact in the normal position. Many SOYO boards come with the switch in clear mode and will not power on. I've also seen many DOA SOYO boards, personally I don't like them. I have however had extremely good luck with about 200+ ASUS mainboards, a little bit more expensive but worth it.

Another thing, make sure the power supply has a high enough rating. For the P4 I wouldn't use anything less than a 300 watt power supply. I can't remember how picky the SOYO boards are on PS issues though.

As for Intel telling you that applying heat sink goo to the chip voids your warranty, they wouldn't replace the chip for you even if you didn't (by the way Intel retail packages have the heatsink gooed to the chip). Intel only warranties products back through the distribution chain, so you have to return it to whoever you bought it from. As far as bad chip warranties go, a reputable computer dealer will usually have a 30 day warranty from their supplier from the time that they bought it from their supplier.

Since this is now going to cost you twice as much as you intended you may want to look at going with an AMD processor, a little less expensive for about the same/faster speed.

Aldo Baez
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2002 10:04 PM      Profile for Aldo Baez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you buy a retail p4 chip? My 1.6 P4 already had the compound on the heatsink. I took it off though and I'm now oc'ing at a nice 2.5ghz.

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2002 03:54 AM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
how much of the thermal paste did you put on the chip?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-10-2002 11:04 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only problem I had with the new P4 CPU's was one that had the pins slightly bet. With that many pins in that small ana rea be sure to open the CPU up before you leave the place you buy it and inspect it very carefully. FOrtunately I was able to straighten the pins back and finally get it into the socket but it was extremely difficult to do so. They ALL have to be exactly straight before it will drop into the socket.
As far as heatsink compound goes, ALWAYS scrape that thermal pad off the heatsink that usually comes standard. Get some silver particulate type compound, about 6 bucks, and use that. It gives about triple the heat transfer that the standard white goo does.....

Also, regarding AMD vs INTEL goes...I say always go with the Intel stuff. You will have less problems in the long run and large strings will calculate correctly. Also much of the software out there is designed for running on INTEL. Remember, in the computer field one gets what one pays for. Every AMD based computer I've put together has one sort of kink or another to it. Thats why most professional computer techs say when they see an AMD based computer, "What, Another Major Disaster".
Mark

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 08-10-2002 11:24 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Never heard of that one before...thermal compound caused the chip to croak? Sounds more like the crack computer store guys are on crack.
Thermal compound conducts heat, not electricity. Even the so-called "premium" silver-metal particle types only will (minimumly) electrically-conduct if an extremely thin film is under high physical pressure. (High speed overclockers note: They will "capacitively" couple signals if blobbed between pins or traces.)

I would suspect the problem is more related to the motherboard or the power supply...perhaps the wrong processor core voltage setting.

I agree with Daryl, always invest in a quality mother board like ASUS.

>>>Phil

Will Morrow
Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2002 09:01 PM      Profile for Will Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Will Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AMD has worked fine for me for the last 6+ years. I have had K6-2, Duron and Athlon processors. I have used Soyo, Asus and MSI motherboards, all with success. Sometimes you just have to do a little research and not give up. I have yet to find a reason to justify spending twice the amount for an equal running proc from Intel. In my opinion, they are the Sony of the computer industry. You are simply paying for their cool commercials. Peace!

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2002 02:07 AM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, it sounds like a power supply. It stands to reason that if the original motherboard and processor were damaged, then so was the powersupply. I have seen a variety of symptoms stemming from a bad power supply. Typically computer store guys have 2 movtives in telling you about defects. 1: They are trying to sell you new parts (even when they know darn good and well you don't need them). 2: Labor costs. It will take longer to change out a motheboard and processor than it will a powersupply.
As far as applying the heatsink compound directly to the processor chip causing damage, hogwash, even if you emptied the whole tube on the thing it wouldn't cause problems. Type of heatsink compound is not as importand has having it there to begin with.
Make sure your powersupply is Pentium 4 compatable (there is a difference) and rated at at LEAST 300W

I have used many Soyo boards and never had a problem with any of them. I have found them to be as reliable as any other out there.

As far as the Intel vs. AMD debate, that falls under the same category as Ford vs. Chevy. Both are quality products (AMD has VASTLY improved their chips in the last 3 years).

As far as Intel basically telling you to take a flying leap, they have that right, simply because it does state on the box of the processors "For Professional Installation Only" AMD would probably give you the same response.

Good luck!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: