Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Steam Traction Fairground & Bioscope (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Steam Traction Fairground & Bioscope
Bernard Tonks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2002 09:52 AM      Profile for Bernard Tonks   Email Bernard Tonks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone in the UK or visiting, that likes the Old World of steam power should visit Hollycombe, isolated high up in the most beautiful countryside. There is a vast working collection of a Steam Fairground, Steam Railways, with an original station and signal boxes, Traction Engines,...and much more!

The whole of the Steam Fairground is original and restored dating back to the Edwardian times. One of the oldest attractions of 1908 is the Razzle Dazzle, regarded as the world’s first ‘White Knuckle’ ride. The Big Wheel built around 1914 is one of the most popular attractions.

The only reconstruction dating from 1895 – early 1900s is the BIOSCOPE, claimed to be the only working bioscope in the world. There is however on the magnificent frontage an organ that was on an original bioscope. On the right side of the entrance is the traction engine to drive the electricity.

Unfortunately I was unable to see any films, as the Bioscope only operates on Sundays due to staffing. I will visit again and see if it is possible to take some pictures suitable for posting.

The huge Entrance Pillars, a further pair stands in the car park, are from Victoria railway station, and the heavy metal gates from Waterloo railway station.

Terrific atmosphere and highly recommended!
www.hollycombe.co.uk

|  IP: Logged

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2002 07:41 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Old steam engines are amazing things. They are extremely quiet and very powerful. AND they will run on about anything the combusts.

I had a manual once for a RUMELEY OIL PULL, a machine with a distinctive square smokestack. In the manual, they said that this machine could even run on some forms of dirt! It it burns, it will pretty much run in a steam engine.

Unfortunately, we had a fatal incident in northern Ohio last year, where one of the machines exploded. I believe an inexperienced operator had let the water run out, and the thing just overheated.

They are fascinating to watch, though. Worth checking out if one comes to your area.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-09-2002 10:13 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Illinois there are some really neat engine shows, one outside of Sycamore usually had in the order of 20 to 30 traction engines. Every day they had a traction engine parade with steam traction and antique gas tractors. Its alot of fun to go to it. I think Steve K and I went on more than one occasion. I used to ahev a small collection of hit and miss gas engines that were alot of fun to monkey with. They all have that great gloopda, gloopda, bang...gloopada, gloopada bang sound to them when they run. Some folks brought huge 25 and 30 HP hit and miss gas engines to that show as well. I can remember them turning the huge flywheel by hand to get it to kick over and start. Some sweated for hours to get em going. Here is a picture of the Oilpull.....
Mark

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2002 08:06 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,

Thanks...that's the OilPull all right.

There are fewer and fewer of these around, and few with the expertise to run them. Great mechanical devices, though.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 08-11-2002 02:00 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today it is truly a lost of art of engineering, craftsmanship and designing....How sad.

Those old hit-and-miss engines run forever, if you can manage to get them started.

Once a year, there is a huge antique engine show, from hit-and-miss engines to hot air engines, and everything else you can imagine.

The next one that is held, I will snag some pictures and send them in to Brad for posting.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-11-2002 10:52 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Paul,
When is the next show and where? Now that I have some time off perhaps I'll come up for a visit, and see my sister...
Mark

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 08-11-2002 03:04 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was quite common for early cinemas to not have mains electricity. Many used Crossley gas engines to drive dynamos to power their arc lamps. The projectors themselves were generally hand cranked at this time, and general lighting was by gas.
http://website.lineone.net/~pitstonemus/CROSSL.htm

Shows a picture of an engine once installed, but not used, for this purpose.

The Black Country Museum, at Dudley, near Birmingham, in the English midlands have re-built on their site a small, early cinema from nearby. This still contains a gas engine, which can be run, but does not power the equipment.

They are at: http://www.bclm.co.uk/

The cinema is mentioned, but there is no photograph of it yet.

This place still has its gas lit house lights, operated by a rod from the projection room!

They do show film there, but only from a 16mm portable machine.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 08-12-2002 04:25 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, I missed the last two up here. The last one was in the early part of the year or late last year at the Burlington Mall. I remember reading it in the paper, but that's about it.

Did you ever see a little 10-inch fan powered by a little bitty two cylinder engine? The pistons were about 3/4 of an inch in diameter. That thing was running, and it was kinda cute!

All those hit-and miss KaPOOPA engines were open crankcase type of engines, and were fun to watch them bounce around on springs when the cylinder fired. Those things have some torque! Big piston-long stroke engines.

There was also a steam engine show with a bunch of small steam engines. They had one running and it was connected to a rock crusher by a drive belt like the farm tractors used to power their stationary equipment. It sounded cool...

PoopPoopPoopPoop while the rock crusher went MunchMunchMunchMunch....

Since it only had a boiler pressure of about 70 lbs, it schlobbered alot... Wet steam....IKK!

Bernard Tonks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2002 08:15 AM      Profile for Bernard Tonks   Email Bernard Tonks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went back to Hollycombe yesterday, so I might be able to post a couple of photographs, providing they come out alright as there was no sun and the weather was rather dull. Sunday is the best day to visit with the many added attractions, and the Bioscope is open.

Matthew Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2002 10:07 AM      Profile for Matthew Bailey   Email Matthew Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about connecting a Simplex by belts to a clutched overhead shaft?
Or at lesat power the sound & projection equipment from a generatr belt driven by the power take off of a model WC Allis-Chalmers tractor? Roger Welsch works on this model & brand of tractor. Two particular books he has are OLD TRACTORS & THE MEN WHO LOVE THEM & BUSTED TRACTORS & RUSTY KNUCKLES. My book would be called BUSTED PROJECTORS & RUSTY,GREASY KNUCKLES.

Bernard Tonks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2002 10:15 AM      Profile for Bernard Tonks   Email Bernard Tonks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Burrel Showman's Road Locomotive, built 1895.

No details available.

Hunslet 0-4-0 saddle engine, built 1896

Bernard Tonks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2002 10:20 AM      Profile for Bernard Tonks   Email Bernard Tonks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Clayton & Shuttleworth portable engine, built 1911.

The Bioscope. Super 8mm or 16mm is used.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2002 10:49 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fantastic Bernard!

There was a 'wheels of yesteryear' show up here a few weeks back. No traction engines, but loads of stationary engines, powering pumps, generators etc.

I've come across a few old cinemas that still had generator sets installed. One in Peterhead springs to mind. I think the ABC in Edinburgh had one too, sadly now demolished.

A pal of my dads runs a canal boat repair business, which is booming as I understand he's the only boat yard that will touch steam engines. Barges have been brought from Holland for his attention in recent years.

Bernard Tonks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2002 03:56 PM      Profile for Bernard Tonks   Email Bernard Tonks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was fortunate to work in two cinemas where the arc lamps were run off generators, they were really massive and there were two of them, alternated weekly. The ones from the Regal, Kingston-upon-Thames were later sold to a television station. The other cinema I worked with two generators was the Carlton Theatre, Haymarket. Always a beautiful smooth light, you never had to adjust the carbons during the 20 minute reels.

The Rex, Haslemere had two generators driven by two 50 h.p Diesel Engines. Only a few years before closure were the DC generators driven by electric traction.

Dick Prather
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2002 04:28 PM      Profile for Dick Prather   Email Dick Prather   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Annual steamup at antique powerland was held the last weekend in July and first weekend of August this year. Lots of neat stuff including operating streetcars, fire trucks and all kind of working steam equipment. I was told both weekends together had close to 20,000 people. Located just north of Salem, OR at Brooks.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: