Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Ouch!

Author Topic: Ouch!
Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 08-08-2002 07:41 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Click here for the gory details! I guess the picture is the only one possible under the circumstances, and whoever made the decision to put this story in the 'health' section obviously has a sense of humour.

Brad - I hope you'll forgive the 'teaser' subject heading in this instance. I didn't think you'd want someone web-searching under this topic to arrive at this site...

|  IP: Logged

John Daily
Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2002 09:27 AM      Profile for John Daily     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..."accidently"??
ACCIDENTLY????

"The name of the patient in this case has not been released."
That wouldn't matter now anyway, as it's likely to be a different name!

-Joan (oops, I meant John)

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 08-08-2002 09:34 AM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if Dr.Francisco Javier Valentin y Ortiz, has caught the Lorena Bobbitt sickness that was spreading around several years back?

Bernard Tonks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2002 12:11 PM      Profile for Bernard Tonks   Email Bernard Tonks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One would hope that the poor chap would get a transplant, if a suitable donor can be found!

Gracia L. Babbidge
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2002 12:40 PM      Profile for Gracia L. Babbidge   Author's Homepage   Email Gracia L. Babbidge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
¡Ay carumba!

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2002 03:38 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What a brutal 'snippet' of news.

Bernard Tonks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2002 03:50 AM      Profile for Bernard Tonks   Email Bernard Tonks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't see it myself, but was there not a film made on this subject called "Percy" ?

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 08-09-2002 03:54 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bernard, I remember that movie. We ran it on "Punk Night" in a drive-in.

Bernard Tonks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2002 04:36 AM      Profile for Bernard Tonks   Email Bernard Tonks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,

I wonder if you should donate that 'weenie' in one of your pictures! to the cause!

BTW I do like your changing profile pictures. A friend told me I should change mine, as it looks like that I am sticking pins into people.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 08-09-2002 04:55 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bernard, it does look like you are sticking pins into something. Maybe an automation? What kind is it?

Bernard Tonks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2002 07:14 AM      Profile for Bernard Tonks   Email Bernard Tonks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,

Most of this is in other threads. It is a replica I built of a Cinemation unit with permission of Bernard Bentley, the inventor of Cinemation, who most kindly gave me the matrix board. The matrix has 30 functions (all of which I used) including auto-reset & bell warning. There are a generous 48 pulse lines. I purchased a 4-way uni-selector & 33 triple pole 24 volt relays, all of which I double wired making the system as good as fail safe. I didn’t include any cam timers for intervals etc, as we had our own system on the non-sync bay, which consisted of 2 Revox full track stereo run @ 15ips, with sensors to pulse the Cinemation, and 2 Sony mini-disc machines. The case originally held Westrex 4 track mag pre-amps. Took over 3 months to build and install at a cost of about £700 ($1,000 I think that is) with all the wiring, relays and press buttons on everything else!

The unit is now on display at the Projected Picture Trust’s Enigma cinema & musuem at Bletchley Park. You will find the Bletchley Park website interesting.

Bernard Bentley is happily retired with his wife now, they both visited my cinema shortly before it closed. His last recent creation is the Cinemation 5000.

www.bletchleypark.org.uk

www.ppttrust.org

By the end of the year I will be able to submit a 15 minute DVD of the cinema for the video section. I shall have to find out if the length will be suitable for downloading though.

To save you searching Film-Tech I will e-mail you a couple of pictures, and list of operations.

Bet you wished you never have asked me now Paul.

Leo, sorry this is has gone way off your 'topic'.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 08-09-2002 01:06 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know: sticking pins in people, cutting off, err... 'appendages'. Anyway, remind me to take out private health insurance if I ever visit Mexico...

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 08-09-2002 01:15 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Bernard.

Back to the subject: While I was in the navy, one of the strangest things I was asked to do was to help one of my shop technicians get scheduled for an operation like this. I had to pick a time and coordinate it with the doctor so the person could be off-duty at the same time as a smooth sailing day. This was during the Viet Nam era, and our flight schedule was balls to the wall almost 24 hours a day.

It would be kind of scary to think an operation of this type would be carried out in heavy seas and/or intensive flight operations. The ships vibrate so much that even a cup of coffee will bounce around on the table, and the rocking and rolling of the ship would dump test equipment on the deck if the test equipment was not tied down.

I guess the operation went OK. At least, he told me the doctor didn't say, "OOPS!!" It was about a day or two when he came back to work. He was equipped with a can of freon just in case one of those embarrassing situations would occur.

Now, that would be an "Ouch" if the stitches started to pop loose.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 10-10-2002 07:46 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's another 'ouch', reported on my local radio station on the drive to work this morning. A dentist from County Durham has been struck off after he was found to have used £3.49 metal drill bits from B & Q on his patients, rather than the £50 special dental bits you buy from medical suppliers. Apparently he then sterilised them by boiling them in a saucepan of water! This was his undoing, because one of the DIY bits was weakened by boiling, and shattered in a patient's mouth. The patient was left in agony and needed emergency surgery during which 7 teeth had to be removed.

Maybe this bloke will now try to get a job in Mexico...

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 10-10-2002 09:00 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"One would hope that the poor chap would get a transplant, if a suitable donor can be found!"

Yes, but the donor would more than likely be a stiff .

JJ

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: