Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Wierd Film Censoring.............

Author Topic: Wierd Film Censoring.............
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-07-2002 07:01 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is an article thats bound to piss alot of you off. Although I suppose that as regards content, or editing one can do whatever one wants with a video tape, or DVD once he/she has purchased it. But there are now a bunch of retarted companies offering "cleansed", or I like this word better, "bowdlerized" versions of films with "nude scenes", or "fowl language". This has producers and directors up in arms as to how a company can re-edit their product and sell it as a different version, but there seems little thay can actually do about it.
Here is the link to the article.............. http://www.sltrib.com/08072002/utah/759740.htm
Mark

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 08-07-2002 07:15 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
[from linked article] MyCleanFlicks is filling a need by mailing censored videos to consumers in locations without CleanFlicks stores, spokesman Chad Fullmer said.

Surely they must be breaking copyright law by doing this. I can understand that it's a grey area if Joe Public brings his tape of Titanic to a company, who then removes some video or audio from it, then returns the very same tape and charges a fee for the service only. But if they're actually selling copies of films which have been re-edited without the copyright owner's permission, I fail to see how they cannot be committing an offence.

That having been said, a lot of bowdlerising gets done with the studios' blessing. The kiddie-friendly cut of Robocop, which is often shown on UK telly, always puts a smile on my face: especially the grocery store hold-up scene in which the robber's aggressive screams of 'f**k you!' (whilst repeatedly and unsuccessfully attempting to shoot Robocop with a sawn-off) are replaced by pathetic cries of 'why me?'. And then there are the badly dubbed Eddie Murphy films with such gems as 'f'hell' and 'mothercrusher'. Never mind the blood flowing all over the screen, death, destruction and generally antisocial behaviour in these films: just as long as there is no sex and no use of colloquial language which refers to sex, everyone will be alright. These religious extremists would probably have no problem showing Reservoir Dogs in a kindergarten just as long as the bad language was dubbed over...

These people really are shooting themselves in the foot, because doing that sort of thing just draws attention to the changes you've made.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: