Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Indy 4 goes Digital!!! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Indy 4 goes Digital!!!
Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 08-06-2002 12:00 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's right folks. Just weeks after Stephen speilberg said he would be the last person alive shooting film, much like a gun nut and thier cold dead hands, has stated that IF georgie lucasss asks him to shoot the film in Digital, he will do so without a fight, because of thier friendship he will do that.

He did state he would rather shoot it on film, as he prefers the life it breathes, but would not fight the switch if asked by his friend george to do so.

So much for standards...

Dave

|  IP: Logged

James B. Openshaw
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2002 12:13 PM      Profile for James B. Openshaw   Author's Homepage   Email James B. Openshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh...great

By the way, how'd you find this? I'd like to read the article if possible.

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2002 12:25 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The story is over at www.theraider.net .

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 08-06-2002 12:52 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
because of thier friendship he will do that

Wow. I always thought real friends advised you against doing stupid things. Maybe the movie's credits will not list a director, huh?

*sigh* Another film I won't be seeing.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-06-2002 10:04 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barf, it should be a gigantic 70mm DTS release! I'll pass on seeing it if its shot in digital.
Mark

Jonathan M. Crist
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2002 10:14 PM      Profile for Jonathan M. Crist   Email Jonathan M. Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well it will certainly make it easier to digitally enhance certain scenes to cover the aging Harrison Ford.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-06-2002 10:19 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It says "Might" not cast in digits yet

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 08-06-2002 10:33 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If anyone associated with Spielberg and Lucas reads any of this stuff: stop screwing around with videotape! Digital is just a buzzword! Shoot the movie in Panavision 35mm, or better yet Super Panavision 70mm!

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2002 10:40 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An excerpt from an interview with SteVen SpIElberg from the July issue of Cinescape Magazine...

Q: Have you seen "Attack Of The Clones?" I was curious what you thought of the way it looks since it's the first big-budget film of this nature shot completely in a digital medium?

Spielberg: It looks just like film. I saw "Clones" two weeks ago up at George's. For the record, of all the "Star Wars" they've made, this is my second favorite, just behind "Empire." It was great. The action scenes looked like George had been inspired by James Cameron because they were as good as any of the action scenes in "T2," and I think George did his best directing with this one too.

Q: After seeing this, would you ever consider shooting a film digitally?

Spielberg: I love the digital thing, and I would someday consider shooting in digital, but only if there were digital theaters. Digital-to-film is not as good as film-to-film, especially if you shoot a film on 35mm negative and present it to the theater in 35mm releasing stock. When you shoot a film all digitally and you project it digitally, it looks great. When you make a movie digitally and you can only get 70 theaters to play it that way and the other 3,000 or 4,000 screens will show it on film, it's better to have made your film on film. It doesn't look as good as film-to-film. I would be interested in someday making a digital movie when there are enough digital theaters to not have to go to film and it would be a digital-to-digital presentation throughout its first and secondary runs, but that's years from now.

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2002 11:09 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bobby Henderson wrote:

quote:
stop screwing around with videotape! Digital is just a buzzword! Shoot the movie in Panavision 35mm, or better yet Super Panavision 70mm!

Actually , the more top filmmakers like Spielberg get their hands on this equipment and get used to it, the better the final product will be. Can you imagine where we would be if filmmakers were to have begged to stop screwing with sound and leave films silent? Or stop screwing with film and halt development of CinemaScope, VistaVision, or 70mm? These are brand new tools. There IS a learning curve. Can MOVIE makers innovate by remaining stagnant? Would 70mm presentations even have MADE the huge return they did in the late 70's without Lucas' STAR WARS and Spielberg's CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND in 1977. 70mm prints up to this point were quickly going out of vogue. They mushroomed after this one-two punch, as well-documented in Michael Coate and William Kalley's thorough listing in Widescreen Review.

The truly innovative moviemakers LOVE to get their hands on new technologies. It provides a challenge for them. Film is not perfect either. It has its flaws. Only through decades have the go-arounds been discovered and refined to overcome these. Same with CD's. And it will be the same with digital moviemaking. If we don't challenge ourselves, we stagnate and become irrelevant.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 08-07-2002 04:22 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Spielberg: I love the digital thing, and I would someday consider shooting in digital, but only if there were digital theaters. Digital-to-film is not as good as film-to-film, especially if you shoot a film on 35mm negative and present it to the theater in 35mm releasing stock. When you shoot a film all digitally and you project it digitally, it looks great. When you make a movie digitally and you can only get 70 theaters to play it that way and the other 3,000 or 4,000 screens will show it on film, it's better to have made your film on film. It doesn't look as good as film-to-film. I would be interested in someday making a digital movie when there are enough digital theaters to not have to go to film and it would be a digital-to-digital presentation throughout its first and secondary runs, but that's years from now.

So, let's see ...

quote:
... digital ... digital ... digital ... digital ... film ... film ... film ... film ... 35mm ... 35mm ... film ... digital ... digital ... digital ... film ... film ... film ... film ... film ... digital ... digital ... film ... digital ... digital

That's 11 "digital"s, 11 "film"s and 2 "35mm"s. Film wins.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 08-07-2002 05:22 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To address Paul comments about "digital" being a "new tool" it isn't. Video isn't new. Sure, it has been getting refined and improved more and more, with the shift from analog videotape to digital videotape being a big step.

But video still isn't as good as film. Even with the supposed learning curve taken into account (one would think a half century of video technology development would amass some "widsom" to negate the need for a learning curve), the best HD video formats still do not offer image quality as good as film.

I thought quality was supposed to be a driving aspect for feature film photography standards. With "Digital" all I see is a lower res glorification of a buzzword. I call it videotape. When it improves to the point of really having better color and sharpness quality than film, then it can replace film.

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-07-2002 05:40 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bobby

Digital IS certainly a new tool as far as filmmakers are concerned. Or are you suggesting the film industry has been shooting on tape the last 50 years? VideoTAPE is just one method to store digital bits. 35mm film could be used for that matter. Or stones, as you suggested earlier. And if you go back and read my post, you'll see Im talking about new technologies,, not digital, which IS relatively new compared to analog video. Analog video IS different than digital video and new shooting/lighting techniques, filters, etc, are used to compensate for the image differences.

I guess since digital sound systems (SRD, SDDS) are optically printed on 35mm film, we should probably, to remain consistant, drop the word digital to describe these soundtrack formats as well. After all, optical sound on film technology has been around over 70 years, and after all, they're not really digital, just optical.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 08-07-2002 05:46 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having worked with still film ranging in size from 35mm all the way up to 8 X 10 during the past 37 years of my photographic career, I still prefer it to the digital format I am now using. Digital is very good and it is getting better and I only use the format because of cost consideration and I can do almost everything with the format except making the prints. I can and have made prints on my ink jet printer but it cannot compare in quality to prints made by a professional color lab. While digital looks great, I have found film images to be much better. I have yet to see an actual DLP or other digital film presentation because Hawaii does not have any theatres theatres yet but from I have heard and read, I have not missed anything.

-Claude

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2002 01:16 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you really have to bear in mind that Spielberg was being asked to critique one of his best friends' work. The answer would almost have to be "Stupendous! Colossal! Brilliant! I love him!"

Even if, inwardly, he were thinking that it looked like a dead horse that had been drug down the road behind a tractor for several days.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: