Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Is this really the end for carbons? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Is this really the end for carbons?
Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 08-04-2002 05:26 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is now over 40 years since xenon lamps were introduced, and about 30 since they became common. Until quite recently, there were still quite a few cinemas running carbon arcs, but the last couple of years have seen most of those convert. I now know of no normal cinemas in the uk running carbons, if anyone else knows of any, please let me kmow, and elsewhere in the world the same seems to be happening; even the Byrd in Richmond has now converted.

The less venues there are using carbons, the less will be the demand, and the more difficult they will be to obtain. How long can the remaining users keep going? Is this really the end? It would be a shame if there were not a few places still using arcs.

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 08-04-2002 06:35 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carbons are useful for more than just film projection: there are many places that have carbon-arc Super Trouper (and other models of) spotlights. Also, advertising searchlights use huge carbons to produce their super-bright light.

I agree, though, that we should hope that at least a few theatres continue to burn carbon for film projection. In the New England area, the Wellfleet Drive-In, the Cape Cinema, and the Avon Cinema all still burn carbon; there are others that I don't remember offhand, either. I've run the Cape Cinema booth for a few days and very much enjoyed it, although I wouldn't want to deal with carbons for 8-10 hours a day, every day, either....

Bernard Tonks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2002 06:48 AM      Profile for Bernard Tonks   Email Bernard Tonks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only UK cinemas I heard of recently that are still on carbons:

Pendle Stairway Cinema, Ilfracombe. Ross projectors, BTH Type C arcs, 2000’ reels.

Tyneside Cinema (The News Theatre), Newcastle upon Tyne. Philips projectors & Peerless Magnarcs, changeovers.

Futurist Theatre, Scarborough (stage & films), changeovers.

New Royal Cinema, Faversham (ex Odeon & Classic). Original BTH equipment, 2000’ reels.

Only very recently changed to xenons is the Plaza, Oxted with the AEI 2kw lanterns from the Regal, Cranleigh, and the Rex, Wareham.

Edit: Tyneside Cinema.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 08-04-2002 07:19 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was given a tour of the Tyneside projection boxes around Christmas last year, they had DP75s in one screen and Westars in the other. All four projectors were still running on carbons, and the picture looks great.

BTW, a pedantic anoraky point - it's now almost 50 years since xenons were introduced. The first short-arc xenons were demonstrated by Zeiss Ikon at the Photokina trade show in Berlin in 1954.

Bernard Tonks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2002 08:12 AM      Profile for Bernard Tonks   Email Bernard Tonks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leo,

Re: Tyneside, after checking a video I have edited my last post. Or is it the same place that had a 2nd screen added with the Westars ?

Perhaps you could kindly let us all know. Thanks.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 08-04-2002 08:32 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
When I was given a tour of the Tyneside projection boxes around Christmas last year, they had DP75s in one screen and Westars in the other. All four projectors were still running on carbons, and the picture looks great.

Where is this place? I will be in that part of the country at the end of September, maybe I can get to see a film while I am there

There are exceptions, but, in general, I think most British cinemas do a pretty good job, in many cases it is the audiences that are the problem, but even there we seem to be better than some places. I have only been to one American cinema, and that was good, nothing like the horror stories we sometimes read about in these forums, and rec.arts.movies.tech.

quote:
BTW, a pedantic anoraky point - it's now almost 50 years since xenons were introduced. The first short-arc xenons were demonstrated by Zeiss Ikon at the Photokina trade show in Berlin in 1954.

I knew it was in the '50s, but I hadn't realised that it was quite that long ago. The first time I saw a xenon was twenty years later, and that was on 16mm. By the early '80s, most places seem to have converted, in many cases being tripled at the same time.

Were these three electrode lamps, like the early BTH ones?

Do you remember those strage, very small, pulsed lamps which Philips used in shutterless projectors at one time? I never saw one, but I have seen pictures of them.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 08-04-2002 08:58 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's on Pilgrim Street, in central Newcastle, about 10 minutes' walk from Newcastle Central station. A fascinating cinema - it was opened as a two-screen in 1937 (and so must be one of the earliest cinemas so-designed), run partly by a film society.

Let me know when you're going to be up there and I'll get hold of a listings brochure give the manager a call to see if it would be possible to arrange a box tour.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 08-04-2002 12:30 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There were only two times I ran a carbon arc booth in the last 18 years. The last one was almost a year ago. Althought I was "out of tune" with the carbon arc lamp for the 17 year gap, it still was fun.

Scott, if you grew up in the carbon arc booths like I did, you would feel like you are "missing something" when they are gone. They all had their own personalities.

Seems like in those days the projectors and lamps would know who is tending to their needs. If you pissed them off, they would do some extremely nasty things to you for no apparent reason.

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2002 02:49 PM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Carbons are useful for more than just film projection: there are many places that have carbon-arc Super Trouper (and other models of) spotlights.

Those use eentsy carbons, so their availability lifespand curve may be slightly different.

Bob Furmanek & his crew are burning carbons behind the Kinotons at the Loew's Jersey.

I'm trying to resuscitate a booth now which has carbon arc lamps, & am trying to sort out a few problems related to carbons in present day. For instance, what do you do with 6 boxes filled with a billion carbon ends in the year 2002?

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 08-04-2002 03:01 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carbons? Ugh, what a mess. We replaced our Magnarcs last October, replaced carbons in our Brenograph last Tuesday and the booth is already cleaner. The fine white dust has been removed and not coming back. The only arc lamp left is an ancient Brenkert follow spot and the carbons will go from that as soon as we can figure out how. The transition would have been slower if the supply of carbons was reliable and the product any good. National is not making them any more and Marble is too difficult to deal with. Get rid of them, you will never regret it.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 08-04-2002 04:51 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The only UK cinemas I heard of recently that are still on carbons:
Pendle Stairway Cinema, Ilfracombe. Ross projectors, BTH Type C arcs, 2000’ reels.

Tyneside Cinema (The News Theatre), Newcastle upon Tyne. Philips projectors & Peerless Magnarcs, changeovers.

Futurist Theatre, Scarborough (stage & films), changeovers.

New Royal Cinema, Faversham (ex Odeon & Classic). Original BTH equipment, 2000’ reels.

Only very recently changed to xenons is the Plaza, Oxted with the AEI 2kw lanterns from the Regal, Cranleigh, and the Rex, Wareham.

I heard that the Plaza had converted, I have never been there, have walked past it a few times.

Visited the New Royal few years ago, with the CTA. Read an article about the Futurist some time ago, there was talk of both of these converting, I assumed they had done so by now. I had not heard of the other two.

I think the Astra, Duxford (part of the Imperial War Museum) still has carbons, but it is not a normal cinema, and I don't think it often shows anything.

Pinewood studios was still using carbons a few years ago, Peerless Magnarcs on Philips/Kinoton machines, but I don't know if they still are.

quote:
Carbons are useful for more than just film projection: there are many places that have carbon-arc Super Trouper (and other models of) spotlights. Also, advertising searchlights use huge carbons to produce their super-bright light.

I know of only a very few places that still have carbon spots, and I have never even seen a working searchlight. These use different carbons, and having seen the price of searchlight ones, I think their future must be in doubt

quote:
There were only two times I ran a carbon arc booth in the last 18 years. The last one was almost a year ago. Althought I was "out of tune" with the carbon arc lamp for the 17 year gap, it still was fun.
Scott, if you grew up in the carbon arc booths like I did, you would feel like you are "missing something" when they are gone. They all had their own personalities.

Seems like in those days the projectors and lamps would know who is tending to their needs. If you pissed them off, they would do some extremely nasty things to you for no apparent reason.

You are right about "missing something", If I see a film with carbon, having previously seen it with xenon, it's like seeing a different film, it somehow seems 'alive. It's a bit like some peolple feel about steam engines. I first ran a carbon arc when I was six, they were everywhere then. At about ten I stopped going to the cinema. When I returned in the '70s, everything had changed, including the arcs. Last year I taught a four year old to run one of my 609 16mm machines; sadly, she may be the last, and is almost certainly the youngest person to learn to run arcs. She loves them, and was quite upset when I wouldn't let her open the lamphouse to look at the arc directly!

quote:
Bob Furmanek & his crew are burning carbons behind the Kinotons at the Loew's Jersey.

They were when I was there, and they still had a few boxes left, but I don't know how long they will last, or whether they will be able to get any more decent ones, and I wouldn't like to think about what ones that size cost now.

quote:
I'm trying to resuscitate a booth now which has carbon arc lamps, & am trying to sort out a few problems related to carbons in present day. For instance, what do you do with 6 boxes filled with a billion carbon ends in the year 2002?

I've often wondered, why did cinemas never seem to throw out carbon stubs, even when they were too short to use for anything? You often find boxes or buckets full of them in old places, even years after they stopped using the things.

quote:
Get rid of them, you will never regret it.

No, I will always regret the last few places giving them up, but I think the end is near. I doubt that anywhere will be using them five years from now, and I think it could well be less than that.

With even very traditional places like the Plaza and the Byrd giving them up, there seems no hope for the last few.

I only ever heard of two conversions from xenon to carbon, and one of those closed a few years later.

When you get to my age you get set in your ways.

Does anyone know what the last completely new cinema to be equipped with carbon arcs was?

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2002 07:39 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When carbon trims were down to about four inches, we inserted them in "carbon savers", either the ones we rolled from Maxwell House Coffee tins, or the commercial ones made from steel bar stock. I don't
know if this started in WWII or before, but some projectionists used
the trims and ended up with stubs only about 1" long. The burn rate
was usually posted on each lamphouse for the benefit of vacation or relief projectionists. Of course it took experienced judgement to
run perfect shows and never be caught short. Other projectionists
never trusted carbon savers and refused to use them, leaving the 4" trims in a tray for the economy minded.

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 08-04-2002 08:00 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a company in Bombay, India still selling carbons, AFAIK.

"Bright lite carbons" or something to that effect. I have a shoebox full of carbons and a few more boxes which should keep my home booth supplied for 40 years. By the time I convert to xenon, film probably wont exist anymore, and I will be nothing more than a fancy computer programmer

Josh

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 08-05-2002 12:06 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An aquaintance tried the Indian Carbons, he got a sample from somewhere. They flickered like a candle in a breeze, were about as bright and made more smoke than his exhaust could take out. I heard a story about some Russian carbons being very good but nobody seems to know if they can be found in the U.S.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 08-05-2002 12:14 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We used to have contests in some of the booths I ran. That contest was "Who can burn the shortest stub without running the carbon saver through the arc."

Unfortunately, when I was burning the 11mm black stick, most of our stubs were too short to run a full reel. What a waste. We never chanced a contest like that with those carbons. It was too risky for the carbon to get out of trim and endanger the water-cooled silver jaws.

I have, on occassion, ran the 13.6 black stick, and we could couple those together.

Josh, I have burned just about any brand of carbon rods made. The very best was Nationals by Union Carbide. The rest were pure crap. They didn't give a good light, they sputtered excessively, left too much fly ash, and were not consistant in maintaining proper trim and arc stability.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: