Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Digital is better

Author Topic: Digital is better
Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2002 02:13 AM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Hi all

I note that the forums have now been titled 'Film tech Digital'.

Why is this so?

I would have thought that most readers of these forums would regard digital projection with a certain disdain ie as a poor substitute for 35 or 70mm film.

So that statement 'Digital is better' is somewhat controversial and arguably incorrect. Could we please substitute perhaps the title 'Film Tech Film Forums - Film is the reel thing cos Digital Sucks'.

cheers Peter

|  IP: Logged

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 08-04-2002 02:25 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd have to disagree, the forums are so much better now that they've gone D I G I T A L !

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-04-2002 02:37 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You don't understand. It does not matter what we think of "digital". But having that "digital" buzzword here will bring tons more people to the forums! Witness Christie Incorporated, makers of fine projection equipment (especially platters and lamps). Did you know they they only sold 26 xenon bulbs, 2 platter systems, 1 projector, 4 SLC lamphouses, and 6 Bevanpoos in all of 2001? Well they realized that it was time for a change. They renamed the company "Christie Digital" and now the "Digital" buzzword is on all of their products. How has Christie performed since this change? Well let's just say that so far this year Christie has sold 14,796 xenon lamps, 1,112 platter systems, 1,245 projectors, 2,026 SLC lamphouses, and 1,254,786 Bevanpoos! And the year is barely half over!

As you can see, there are many, many benefits to DIGITAL.

Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2002 02:42 AM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Sounds like a cheap marketing exercise to me.

Nothing beats the subtle hues and shades of film - film is showing life as God intended - not as a jumble of polka dots.

Digital is just an impressionist view of what film actually shows.

cheers Peter

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2002 02:06 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Obviously digital is better. In fact, I'm using my digits now.

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2002 02:44 PM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I finally got a chance to see DLP projection several weeks ago: Star Wars Whatever The Latest One About Clones Is. I won't say where.

Great godamighty, that was the worst thing I've seen.

And that's even keeping in mind the worst days of all the big & small-town single-screens which turned into uncaring fleapits and basement quality drive-ins. I wanted the thing focused so bad, but there was nothing else there. It was like torture. And crap.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-04-2002 02:52 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
But it was DIGITAL, so it HAD to be perfect! I think you must've been mistaken. I'm sure Mr.Guttag would agree.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 08-04-2002 03:12 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will they be able to digitize a toilet? A cigarette lighter? How about some digital tires, just hook 'em up to the USB and download some new tread.

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2002 03:25 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw a product named "Digi-Clean" somewhere. Even soap and cleanser manufacturers are starting to get into the act.

------------------
Evans A Criswell
Huntsville-Decatur Movie Theatre Information Site

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: