Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Old Cincy Theater Info Wanted

Author Topic: Old Cincy Theater Info Wanted
Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-03-2002 07:22 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know I'm probably on a wild goose chase here, but I'm looking for information on a Cincinnati downtown theatre from the late 70's called the TIMES TOWNE CINEMA. I came across it during some recent research, and I have never seen a reference to it before. They used the slogan "Now Showing at the Times Towne Cinema (of course")

Any info greatly appreciated.

|  IP: Logged

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-03-2002 09:22 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am from Cincy, originally (lived there 1971 - 1988). Never heard of that one.

------------------
"Running through life at 24 frames per second"

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2002 07:44 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I show an address of 6th and Walnut in Downtown. This was during the late '70's. Thanks.

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2002 03:00 PM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check the City Directories for those years, & the years just before & after. City Directories have two sections, allowing lookup by name or by location. You'll sometimes find that they were once theaters named something else, & sometimes a theater that stopped being a theater then became something else like a store, then a theater again. Then later entries will sometimes reveal what it became. At the least, you can pinpoint the year it came into being, & when it ended. Some cities have a Museum of the City of (wherever) which is a museum not of art but of civic artifacts, & the curators usually know a lot.

Ask your library if they maintain a vertical file on theaters. There may be info there. Check the Theatre Historical Society's website & get the e-mail address of the person who's in charge of the division where you are, then grill them remorselessly. Go to the site of the theater & stand in the center of the location, & start shouting, "Where is the damn theater that used to be here? Huh? Where!" repeatedly until you get some action.

Tony Ratcliff
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2002 04:21 PM      Profile for Tony Ratcliff   Email Tony Ratcliff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
6th and Walnut, huh?
Well, currently the Arnoff Center for the Arts sits there (notice I refrained from calling it a "theatre", since it's a big, ugly, modern hulk).
But, before that there was an Arby's at that location.
And the building it was in looked like it used to be a theatre.
I'd asked around several years ago, and a couple people said that they thought they remember it being a small theatre.
So, maybe this is the one you found.

Tony

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 08-06-2002 11:20 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been meaning to get down there to do some research, and I suppose this gives me a reason. Want to join me this weekend? Drop me an email.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 10-13-2002 12:02 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Since I've finally unpacked some of my research stuff, here's what I found in the city directories while on my trip to Cincinnati:

The Times was located at 600 Walnut and first appeared in the directories in 1944. It remained in the directories until about 1978.

There were no listings for the "Towne" or the "Times Towne".

What materials do you have on this theater? I'd like to add it to my site if you don't mind. Or any other Cincinnati theater stuff, while I'm working on that list.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: