Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Atlanta drive-in featured on Insomniac

Author Topic: Atlanta drive-in featured on Insomniac
Jeff Skallan
Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2002 06:41 PM      Profile for Jeff Skallan   Email Jeff Skallan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

One of the funniest shows on cable TV is "Insomniac" with Dave Attell on Comedy Central. This week's show, which replays on Saturday, August 3rd, features the projection booth of the Starlight Drive-in in Atlanta.

Check it out! INSOMNIAC

|  IP: Logged

Oscar Neundorfer
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-02-2002 08:07 AM      Profile for Oscar Neundorfer   Author's Homepage   Email Oscar Neundorfer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, yes, the STARLIGHT Drive In !!!!!

This is the only one left in Atlanta. When I was a kid it was called the Twin Starlight ( 2 screens, obviously). It now has 6 screens (at least the last time I was there which was over a year ago). Somewhere I heard it was now 7 screens, but I don't think so. I will check it out the next time I am there. (Lately, my wife has been itching to go to a movie there, so it may be soon.)

One thing to remember if you go there: You are "relatively" safe in the drive-in, but keep your windows up and your doors locked in the neighborhood around the place. And make sure you have plenty of gas in your car to get out of there without having to stop and fill up. I would not want to be in that neighborhood in the day time, and I would not get caught dead there (pun intended) at night (except to drive out of the theater as quickly as possible.)

The place is popular. Sometimes on weekends, the line of traffic to get in extends way back down the road, and this is with a LONG driveway before you get to the ticket booths.

It is split in 2 3-screen sections with 2 booths. I have been in one of the booths, but not the other.

It is definitely a landmark in Atlanta.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: