Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Sound of Music Sing Along

Author Topic: Sound of Music Sing Along
Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 07-31-2002 11:50 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are booking this movie/event at the Perf. Arts Center this fall.

Sounds like an interesting event. For those who don't know it, I would summarize it simply as a "Rocky Horor" style show but only with SOM. The print is subtitled during the musical numbers so the audience can sing along.

I've seen the "screener" of this movie. They do everything from costume contests to passing out "goodie bags" full of things for people to wave/toss at pivotal points in the story.

Anybody have any war stories to tell?

|  IP: Logged

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 07-31-2002 01:22 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I caught this at the Hollywood Bowl last summer, along with about 14,000 other folks that night. The place was packed! Yes, they did a costume contest beforehand. Charmian Carr was one of the MCs and Robert Wise was there too. Everyone in the audience was given a bag of "props" to use during the film--the most fun one being a popper to be pulled when Christopher Plummer and Julie Andrews have their first kiss. Quite a stunning effect when done in unison by that many people!

The 35mm print was projected on a screen that covered most of the width of the band shell--probably about 70' across. Pretty good image and sound for an outdoor venue but no comparison to the 70mm presentation I caught several weeks prior at the Egyptian though.

The sing-along version of SOM (and Mary Poppins too) seem to be very popular. They'll both probably become annual event screenings in SoCal.

Paul
On the road again looking for more work

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2002 07:41 PM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My understanding is the fees are not cheap.

Any idea how much they cost?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: