Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Solaris release date moved... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Solaris release date moved...
Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 07-31-2002 03:14 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With the threat of the newly anticipated STAR TREK X movie released on the same December 13 day, and with LOTR TWO TOWERS only six days later, SOLARIS has been moved earlier to November 27, figuring a better deal against another Harry Potter film, which will be viewed mostly by children. Going up against another outer space film and with the more adult oriented RINGS film, they realized what even stupid people would figure out.... No one would go.

Dave

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 07-31-2002 03:40 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this Solaris a re-release of the Tarkovsky film?

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 07-31-2002 03:51 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is a remake of that film, Directed by Steven Soderberg and Produced by James Cameron.

I have no doubt that this will be a fine film, but I do not believe that it can possibly have the same feel that the original has.

Is it me or has this industry gone crazy with sequels, remakes, redo's, tvshows to cinema, and other assorted crap???

Mind you that isn't always a bad thing, but you start to think that really, in all reality, there can be only two or three truly original movies a year, and the rest are all just wannabees...

You know that a remake of the classic "SCANNERS" is underway? LEAVE THESE DAMN FILMS ALONE.

Let's just kill originality and just make remakes...

Dave

Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2002 04:28 AM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Hi

I wonder how long it will be before they remake 'What's Up Doc'?

It's been a while since we have had a good screwball comedy.

cheers Peter

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 07-31-2002 05:23 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Funny you should say that. I hope they never do. It's a pure comic gem.

I just watched that for like the 100th time last night. never get enough of that one.

Dave

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2002 08:59 AM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave -

Don't you remember saying, "With the way the world is right now, new ideas and movies are not making the impact they once did", and , "We have lord of the rings, star trek 10, harry potter 2, star wars, the matrix, men in black 2, and the list goes on. People need these movies to feel safe and studios need money to stay afloat, and theaters need money for the same reason".

Seems to me like you were in favor of sequals, remakes, and such not too long ago. Now it's crap? I thought, "the public needs movies right now that they feel comfortable with, that make them feel that things are all right". Maybe you can clarify for all of us.

------------------
"Asleep at the switch? I wasn't asleep, I was drunk!" - Homer Simpson

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2002 04:12 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 11/27 date is official per Upcoming Movies and Variety.

Don't worry, all. This means you're gonna have a heavy-duty November with 5 straight weeks of potential hits:

11/1 -- The Santa Clause 2
11/8 -- 8 Mile (w/Eminem)
11/15 -- Harry Potter 2
11/22 -- Die Another Day (007), Friday After Next
11/27 -- 8 Crazy Nights (Adam Sandler cartoon), Solaris, Treasure Planet (35mm and Imax)

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2002 04:23 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Two Soderbergh movies 118 days! It doesn't get any cooler than that.

Also, does anybody know if TREASURE PLANET was originally composed for Imax, or what? I have a friend who worked on FANTASIA 2000, and she said that that entire movie was first composed for 1.85:1. It had to be completely recomposed when they decided to go for Imax. Was this the case for TREASURE PLANET, or was it planned for both formats from the beginning?

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 07-31-2002 06:51 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Chad, I am on heavy doses of Lortab right now, so bear with me...

SHUT UP!!!

I was not in FAVOR of sequels, I was making an argument as to why they seem to do much more money than films that are not. If you had paid any attention at all, you would have noticed that. Instead, you seem to be much more attentive to trying to show the world how flawed I am. You really should give up your quest to prove to the world that you are smarter than me, because I really don't care if you are.

I do like an occasional sequel if I am into that particular brand of stories, but otherwise, most of it is crap.

Remember I am on heavy lortab right now. Normally, I would have just slapped you silly.

Dave

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 07-31-2002 08:34 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Fantasia 2000 was projected on the Imax screen cropped to about 1.66. I just don't see the need to do much recomposing to go from 1.85 to 1.66. Come to think of it, they didn't do a very good job at all of composing the narrative segments between musical numbers. You had to look up to the top of the screen to see who was talking.

TP, I believe, repurposed as an afterthought to experiment with the simultaneous release business.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2002 02:41 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I ran the Tarkovsky Solaris last year at the Telluride film festival. It's a little slow. There is one reel where for 20 minutes all the charactors do is drive in to a city in silence. The print we had was 9 reels long.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 08-01-2002 03:29 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes: long, sweeping shots of motorways and urban landscapes in that reel. Either they're tedious or they really work, depending on what frame of mind you're in when you see the film.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 08-01-2002 05:07 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about a LORTAB state of mind. Always works for me.

Dave

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-01-2002 05:09 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's nothing wrong with sequels if they're well done.

Die Hard 2
The Empire Strikes Back
Superman II
Toy Story 2

But when it comes to crap like MIB II, then I too am not in favor of sequels.

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2002 05:46 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was Superman 3 the one with Richard Prior? That was my favorite of those sequals.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: