Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Comfort Movies

Author Topic: Comfort Movies
Mathew Molloy
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2002 12:54 AM      Profile for Mathew Molloy   Email Mathew Molloy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad's "Guilty Pleasures" thread got me thinking about "Comfort Movies". Movies, be they good or bad, you'll watch when they're on t.v. or just let play in the background while working on something.

A Few Good Men has always been a good one to have going in the background...however Hunt For Red October has gained quite a bit of ground as one of my favorite comfort movies.

|  IP: Logged

Sean M. Grimes
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2002 03:44 AM      Profile for Sean M. Grimes   Author's Homepage   Email Sean M. Grimes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
and in such a werid way for myself - Leaving Las Vegas.

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 07-31-2002 06:27 AM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any 1930's B&W movie. They are all great to watch.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-31-2002 07:14 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
To me any movie I have seen over and over is a good "comfort movie". I.E. a movie that I can fully appreciate "watching" over again just by listening to it.

Bob, are you a Chaplin fan? "City Lights" (1931) is a masterpiece of filmmaking and my favorite Chaplin.

Geoffrey Weiss
Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2002 11:49 AM      Profile for Geoffrey Weiss   Email Geoffrey Weiss   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like watching Alan Rudolph's 1980 "Roadie," starring Meat Loaf, Alice Cooper & Art Carney. There's just something that clicks with that movie. And how can you hate a movie written by someone calling himself Big Boy Medlin?

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2002 10:22 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any cheezy 80's movie

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2002 12:33 AM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Casablanca" played five times per day on the troopship that carried me to the Pacific during the Korean War, right on the other side of the bulkhead behind which I tried to sleep. The voyage took ten days,typhoon included. I could probably watch it on TV with the sound off, and mouth the dialog, as with the Rocky Horror Show.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2002 12:38 AM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Again, Smokey and the Bandit fits for me in this category as well, ha ha. I also like the Naked Gun flicks too.

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2002 01:03 AM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Out of Sight
Boogie Nights
The Empire Strikes Back
Mallrats
The Replacement Killers
The Big Lebowski

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2002 01:30 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I like watching Alan Rudolph's 1980 "Roadie," starring Meat Loaf, Alice Cooper & Art Carney

"Oh! Oh! Jerry Lee Lewis! Jerry Lee Lewis!"

Which reminds me that "American Hot Wax" would probably be in this category for me.

John Daily
Film Handler

- posted 08-02-2002 10:21 AM      Profile for John Daily     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, there are so many of these that would qualify...any Ang Lee film, any "Beat" Takeshi film, any film with the actress Li Gong (or Anita Mui, Maggie Cheung, or Michelle Yeoh), Any Jackie Chan movie (I'm talking hong kong films here, none of his American crap except maybe Shaghai Noon and Rush Hour 2).

Some Like It Hot is probably the only American film I would watch if it were on (plus my 3 guilty pleasures (Conan The Barbarian, Pink Floyd - The Wall, John Carpenter's The Thing (please excuse all these parenthesis))).

My wife can't turn off Alive when she comes across it.

(Edit: Thought of another American film I wouldn't turn off - Goodfellas.)

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-02-2002 11:23 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"The Taking of Pelham One Two Three." One of my favorite Walter Matthau movies, and Robert Shaw (pre-Jaws) is positively creepy as the lead bad-guy. Great ending, too.

Gracia L. Babbidge
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-02-2002 02:03 PM      Profile for Gracia L. Babbidge   Author's Homepage   Email Gracia L. Babbidge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although I tend to go for 'comfort music' before a 'comfort movie' ...
~the Empire Strikes Back
~the Labyrinth
~the Princess Bride
~the Nightmare Before Christmas
~the Goonies

...are all movies that (to me anyway) feel like old friends.

Andy Muirhead
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-02-2002 06:35 PM      Profile for Andy Muirhead   Email Andy Muirhead   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Two that spring to mind for me are;

Local Hero
Gregory's Girl

Total nostalgia, and very funny too!

Sean, for some reason Leaving Las Vegas always makes me feel like I want a drink, bizarrely enough!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: