Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » The Rise of the Multiplex

Author Topic: The Rise of the Multiplex
Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 07-30-2002 11:09 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking now primarily of North America when was the construction of a new single screener pretty much (there are exceptions to every rule) thing of the past? I'm guessing around 1970 or so. Were the Jerry Lewis twins pioneers or was everyone building at least 2 screens around that time. Were there new-built multiscreens to any appreciable extent before this? I presume the economies of scale had to await the widespread adoption of xenon + platters. I don't suppose NATO or someone has stats like the typical number of screens per site for theatres constructed in a given year and/or number of seats.

On a similar note to what extend did the large movie palaces get chopped up or were most dead before the trend caught on. From what I recall of the big downtown theatres here in Chicago (mostly from advertising rather than direct experience) they died as single screens.

|  IP: Logged

William T. Parr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2002 11:37 AM      Profile for William T. Parr   Email William T. Parr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Steve,

In my hometown of Corpus Christi, Texas twin theatres were showing up in the late 60's. Most notably the Duex Cine in 1968, and the National Twin in 1967. The Deux Cine was built by Robb Rowley United, as part of the United Artist theatre chain. The National Twin was open by Gulf State Theatres then taken over by Fox theatre in 1969 0r 70 and then finally by Mann theatres in 1973. In 1970, the UA Woodlawn was twined by running a wall down the middle, and the name changed to Cine West 1 and 2. Prior to being twinned, the Woodlawn opened in the early to mid 60's. The Movies on Staples Street was built in 1976 or 77 was a Jerry Lewis twin theatre operated by Movie One. In the mid 70's plans were on the drawing board to triple the UA Centre theatre in Downtown Corpus Christi. That would have involved twining the balcony into two theatres and leaving the main floor alone. Result would have been 2 220 seat auditoriums and 1 900 seat. Speculation as to why this never occurred ranged from the lack of increased revenue at other locations to the impending closing of the theatre that did not happen for 12 years after the initial drawing were proposed. Also at the same time UA was twining stuff in Corpus, they tripled the Plaza theatre in Laredo TX in 1973 by shorting the main floor into two back to back auditoriums and adding a wall at the end of the balcony for a 3rd screen. The Howard in Taylor, TX was made a twin during the same time frame by adding a Wall and false stage at the end of the balcony and building a booth downstairs. Several San Antonio theatres owned by Santikos at the time were done in a similar fashion including the Woodlawn, Broadway and Aztec. The Woodlawn and Broadway were later sold to Plitt. The Aztec was closed briefly then re opened as an independent. Hope this info helps.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 07-30-2002 02:54 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Jack Loeks started building twins in West Michigan in 1970 under the premise of his "Auto-Cine, Inc." company. They were designed for 6,000-foot reels with a remote control in the box office or manager's office. You know, so a projectionist wasn't needed. You see, Jack had just come back from a trip to Kansas City, where he visited several of Stan Durwood's multi-screen theaters, one of which had six screens.

The Campus I & II in Mount Pleasant opened in February 1970; followed by the Alpine I & II in Grand Rapids in September; the Auto-Cine Twins in Muskegon in December 1971; and the Plaza 1 & 2 in Portage in October 1972. Eventually, the Campus (now the Cinema Four Theatre) and Alpine each had additions of two screens and both theaters closed this year to be demolished for other uses. The Plaza remained a twin until its closure this year.

The Auto-Cine in Muskegon was added on to also, becoming a 6-plex, then in 1989 was a 12-plex, and is now a 16-plex called Cinema Carousel, with a huge carousel in the lobby.

In the Grand Rapids suburb of Wyoming, the original 800-seat Studio 28 was built in about 1967 adjacent to the Beltline 3 Drive-In. The theater did so well, a second screen was added in short order. Eventually, four more screens followed suit. Six more screens were later added, creating a 12-plex. With the further addition of eight more screens, the theater became the world's first 20-plex. The original 800-seat auditorium is still intact with a sloped floor. The Drive-In was closed around 1987 to make way for parking for the 12-plex.

West Michigan's largest 35mm screen surface, however, is now located at the chain's Celebration Cinema on Grand Rapids' northeast side, in the same complex as Michigan's third Imax theater.

John Scott
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2002 03:19 PM      Profile for John Scott   Email John Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It still kills me to this day what was done to a glorious former opera-house that was turned into a theatre in my hometown of Manitowoc, WI.

The Strand Theatre was a beautiful single screen 1000+ seat house with a balcony (that had been closed off years before) and a natural stadium seating incline towards the back that went up a full story (You could enter the auditorium from the front, or climb a flight of stairs at the rear of the lobby and enter from the back).

I remember as a kid seeing all 3 Star Wars films there and the last film I recall seeing there was Robocop.

The theatre then closed for a "retrofit" which ended up ruining the place. Instead of one beautiful house, the auditorium was chopped into 3 screens. The front Third was turned into a 200 seat house (this auditorium had most of the main screen even though due to construction it lost about a third of the screen as well). The middle third was turned into a weird auditorium shaped like a squared off u with the booth in the middle of the auditorium and lots of pillars from the original house. Because of the shape and the pillars there are a lot of dead zones for sound (or weird accoustics making auditorium noise echo horribly). Auditorium #3 is the old balcony with the screen on the floor in the front (and a nice cement floor up front to cause lots of reflected ambient light from the screen.

The 4th auditorium was new to the building and was ok, with DTS sound installed for Jurassic Park. They then a few years later added on 2 more small screens in the back (50-100 seaters) which basicly maxed them out on their space downtown.

Its just a shame though that this gorgeous theatre was chopped up into a theatre that when I visit my folks I can't stand to visit.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 07-30-2002 05:32 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Edwards built the first twin as we know it with a common entrance in the 1940's in California....There was also a twin cinema in Jacksonville, Florida in the early 1950's which played the same feature on both screens. Translux and Jerry Lewis did many of the early twins but Stanley Durwood got the ball rolling with 4 plexes in the late 1960's in the less congested markets ( compared to Chicago ). I remember the Purdue automation projection system either two machine or single unit using large reels on a high base to shoot over the audience to the giant 18 foot ( 5.49 meter ) screens of the day. If you go to Cinema Equipment web-site and punch up the used special projection page, you will see one of the two machine units packaged with a platter.
Richard Fowler
TVP-Theatre & Video Products Inc. www.tvpmiami.com

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: