Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Payment of the employees

Author Topic: Payment of the employees
German Marin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2002 12:08 AM      Profile for German Marin   Email German Marin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just want to compare some items:

-Average payment of a manager, box office teller, concession and usher in the UK.

Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2002 04:22 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

German:

While I am unable to give $US figures, I have noticed that a theatre where I worked, belonging to one of the largest chains, would switch employees from usher to concession to box office, as needed, without raising their (low) hourly pay. From posts on Film-tech, I suspect this may be common with other chains as well.

I would expect the ticket seller to be paid more than the ticket taker,since his or her job requires responsibility for large sums of money, greater interaction with the public, and speed and skill of a higher nature.

As projectionist, I was almost always earned more than the managers of the theatres who handed me my wages or paychecks. I used to think they were joking when I began, but soon learned that they were not covered by a collectively-bargained union contract.

Now the situation may be different. For one reason, the big corporations have forced down contractual wages, while forcing unions
to permit non-union "manager/projectionists." Another reason is that the IATSE has undertaken a drive to unionize ground-floor employees. To forestall this, a chain I worked for tried to form a "company union" offering a pension plan, but because it was ridiculously meager, and because most ground-floor employees were temporary/part-time/student/immigrant workers, it never succeeded.

As projectionist, my regular hourly wage varied from a high of $34 per hour to a low of $15.50; holiday or other overtime pay was 1.5
times regular wage, during the 26 years I was employed. My highest wage was at a 14-plex, and the lowest at a single-screen, although
some singles paid in the range of $20 to $25 per hour regular.
(See the "Help Wanted" notices I posted 05/01/02.)

Gerard

[Oops! I didn't see the "UK" at the end of your post, I thought "US"]

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2002 05:28 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the US

Staff $5.75 - $7.50 per hour

Assistant Managers $7.00 - $12.00 per hour

Projectionist (non union) $6.00 - $12.00 per hour

Manager (size of theatre helps) $20,000 - $60,000 per year

Salary of San Francisco Bar Pilot (Guy who guides ships in and out of San Fracisco Bay) $245,000 per year!

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 07-29-2002 06:50 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why the U.K.? Planning to go to Engineering college? I have several Venezuelan friends who work in your country but have second locations and schooling in the U.K. or Spain so they go back and forth. I know pay in your country could be better especially since your buying power is less with the devaluations.
Richard Fowler
TVP-Theatre & Video Products Inc. www.tvpmiami.com

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-29-2002 07:23 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian, there are non-union projectionists getting $18/hour. Granted they are the really good ones, but $12 is by no means a cap.

There are also places where the management/corporate doesn't give a flip about their presentation (even though they bs about it in press releases and ads) and pay their projectionists minimum wage. Of course many of these "projectionists" deserve minimum wage for the show they are putting on, but that's another discussion.

Any theater that is going to consider themselves to be paying a projectionist properly should hold their head in shame if they are not paying at least $10-11/hour.

German Marin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2002 07:29 PM      Profile for German Marin   Email German Marin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Gerard, I didn't know what's the wage for the employees in the USA. Thanks to Ian and Brad.
Hello Richard, how are you? I'm courious for the UK because the manager of the theatre where I worked will go to London next January. Now I'm the "padowan" of Mr. Giorgio Volpi, the tech of the chain I work for and I really like this work with the equipment, the sound system, platters from the mechanical point. Maybe a day in the future I'll visit other country (specially USA for the big knowledge you have) but I'm not planning a travel for the next 3 years (I would like to go to the projectionist trainning programed by kodak in LA).
Saludos,
Germán Marín

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-29-2002 07:37 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget cost-of-living issues. $12/hour may be great in some areas, but terrible in New York City, for example.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-29-2002 07:48 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
That's why I said "at least".

Gerard made an excellent post a week or two ago regarding this issue. I can't remember what thread it was though. Anyone remember?

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2002 09:54 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

I think you refer to the thread in Film-Handlers' Forum, "Questions About Unions" begun by Ken Lackner 09/24/01, which I bumped up to the top on 07/21/02 and added a post or two. It related to some comments recently made, and I thought it would interest newer Film-tech members as well as regulars who might review the issues in view of the downturn in the economy and the revelation of corporate corruption. It got several excellent responses!

Gerard

Daniel Boisson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2002 11:49 PM      Profile for Daniel Boisson   Email Daniel Boisson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ALL the theatres around here are non-union, and the most a projectionist gets I know of is well under $10 (doesn't work full time anymore). That's our head projectionist with 40+ years at this theatre alone. And of all the theatres around here, the presentation isn't that great either, simply because none of the projectionists can get any money to fix up anything.

------------------
3% Body Fat. 1% Brain Activity.

Gracia L. Babbidge
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2002 11:56 PM      Profile for Gracia L. Babbidge   Author's Homepage   Email Gracia L. Babbidge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
<- is the 'head projectionist' at a 10-screen, and gets paid under $10 / hour.

Granted, I'm still better paid than the floorstaff, but on the other hand, I can't really afford to live on my own on what I earn!

...but still, it's a hard job to give up... *sigh*

------------------
In some cultures, what I do is considered normal.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-02-2002 12:39 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian,
The Bar Pilot is appropriately paid for what he does. He Cannot make any mistakes at all, deals with ships, and crew that may be somewhat questionable as far as reliability and such, and has under his command through the most difficult part of any ships journey millions of dollars of someone elses property...not to mention the worth of the ship itself. I wouldnl't want to do it. Ship captains get similar pay. I guess that high pay is why the captain of the Exxon Valdez was able to keep himself so well entertained till that darn moment when......
Mark G.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 08-02-2002 02:56 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
he pranged his boat.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: