Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Huge News! New multi screen Drive-in to open In Melbourne in 2002! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Huge News! New multi screen Drive-in to open In Melbourne in 2002!
Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-27-2002 09:10 PM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all

On a visit to Dromana Drive-in last night a fellow patron gave me some news that nearly bowled me over.

As you all well know Melbourne has just one drive-in theatre, a 3 screen theatre at Coburg in Melbourne's northern suburbs. Aside from Coburg the nearest Drive-in is at Dromana on the Mornington Peninsula (2 screens - soon to be three). For people living in the far eastern suburbs of Melbourne both these drive-ins are at least one hour's drive.

The great news is that Melbourne is to soon have a new 4 SCREEN drive-in theatre at Dandenong in the south eastern suburbs of Melbourne. Built on the former Panoramic drive-in site (used for weekend markets the last 18 years), the drive-in will initially feature 2 screens and should eventually expand to 4 screens.

For me personally this will cut half an hour's travel off going to my nearest drive-in.

Useful links
http://www.drive-insdownunder.com.au/australian/vic_dandenong.htm
http://pub73.ezboard.com/ffilmnetfrm8.showMessage?topicID=6.topic

cheers Peter

|  IP: Logged

Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2002 03:20 AM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Hi all

Further to my post above I went down to Dandenong to do some investigative work and check out the new drive-in site.

I arrived about 1 P.M. which is just about when the Trash and Treasure weekend market is winding up. Fortuitously I was able to get into the site for free.

First let me describe the site. Dandenong is an industrial area to the south east of Melbourne and the drive-in site is just off the highway going from Dandenong to Cranbourne. The highway runs across the top of a hill and the drive-in is at the foot of the hill. The main drive-in entrance is flanked by trees and a large Trash and Treasure sign is the first thing one encounters at the main entrance. A long driveway leads from the main entrance, down the hill for 100 metres or so until one meets a typical drive-in ticket box with the ability to drive either side to pay your entrance fee (quite similar to the one used at Coburg - one wonders whether the new owners will find a pink chevvy to put on top of the ticket box!).

Having paid one's fee a few metres on, one is at the bottom of the hill and nestled behind a number of local factories is a large, generally flat, squarish site. There is plenty of room and arguably capacity for more than 4 screens eventually.

In one corner of the site, towards the highway but away from the entrance box, on a slight rise is presumably where the old Panoramic screen stood. I did not walk up the hill to examine the soil but one would expect that the concrete supports for the old screen lie buried under the soil. In the centre of the site there is an old , low roofed, snack bar pointing towards where the old screen once stood. Curiously there is no sign of a projection room - one presumes that it must have been demolished. The ramps are still in existence and the ramped area of the site now has wire fencing around it and this fenced area is used for the weekly trash and trasure market. In total though only maybe 1/4 of the site is fenced off for this purpose.

At this stage the site still looks pretty ordinary. Remember its a large flattish site in an industrial area and the ramps and snack bar are quite old. On a cold wintery Melbourne day it isn't the most inspring place to be - but it does have potential.

On the opposite corner from where the old screen used to stand is a non-ramped area of green grass. I drove onto the grass and noticed some construction equipment and some diggings were evident. There was some reinforcement steel for concrete stacked nearby as well. Evidently, construction work on the footings for the second screen has commenced It appears that work has not yet commenced on the new projection room however.

Arguably visiting this site on a winters day is seeing the site at its worst but often this is a good way to judge how a drive-in will perform. Really the test of a drive-in theatre is whether people are prepared to go see a movie when the weather is inclement. I ask myself the question - if there was a movie on here tonight would I go? The answer I think is yes - but subject to a few qualifications.

The first thing matter that would need attention is the ramps. The bottom line is that people would not be keen to trudge through mud or water to go to the snack bar. At this stage the surface needs further restorative work to improve the general appearance of the drive-in and make it look more professional. Having regard to the site's location some careful drainage planning would be beneficial to avoid pools of water accruing at points. The site has a slight rise overall so good drainage planning should not be too hard.

The second concerns the toilets. I did not get a chance to see the toilets but my wife who visited them thought they were ok but not flash. Obviously they were built when the original drive-in was built. I believe it is worth spending a little extra money and really providing very clean (possibly heated in winter) toilets with modern hand drying equipment. I noted that the entrance to the toilets is from the outside even though the toilet block is built onto the back of the snack bar. It makes sense to locate the toilets indoors with doors coming from a redesigned snack bar. I think it likely that this would lead to less vandalism and also would keep the toilets warm in winter. The traffic passing nearby to the snack bar would also encourage people to buy more eg patron goes to toilet and then, noticing food in snack bar, is motivated to buy something.

Next on the list is the snack bar. The snack bar was closed on my arrival so it was not possible to judge what food is offered. from the outside the decor looked very 70s (orange tables and all that) Eek! I really like what both Coburg and Dromana drive-ins have done with their snack bars which is to add lots of film posters which adds a certain film atmosphere to the snack bar. Hopefully the new owners will do likewise.

Food however, at drive-in snack bars here in Victoria, still lags behind the times. Coburg has regular American fare (hot dogs, chips, donuts, soft drinks etc) and a range of chocolate and confectionary treats. Dromana is similar. I think that times have changed however and that a more tasty, modern food line up is called for in addition to the old standards. I'd like to see the following:

- Salami & Tasty Cheese Croissants
- Souvlaki
- Greek salad
- Vol-au vents (chicken, salmon)
- Fettucine Marinara
- Churros - YES I INSIST - THE LUNA MUST HAVE REAL CHURROS JUST LIKE IN CALIFORNIA!!!

I think this kind of food (ie tasty) would prove popular, particularly with the many ethnic communities that live in the region. In addition to the above there is a need for good quality cappucinos and cafe latte's with outdoor seating although I accept that the time taken to prepare these coffees can be a problem in a drive-in snack bar situation. A clever solution is called for. There would be nothing better than sipping a nice cafe latte under the stars on a coolish autumn night whilst watching a good flick (that's Australian for movie). Maybe the lattes could only be offered in winter when crowds are smaller and the weather cooler.

As mentioned earlier ther are a lot of different ethinic communities in the Dandenong region eg Springvale has a large Cambodian community. The new owners would be wise to try and offer special film nights to cater to these ethnic minorities as well as advertise in the local ethnic press. Personally I'm keen to see some famous French films grace a drive-in screen in Melbourne. I'd love to see Asterix & Obelix, or Taxi II up on the big screen along with english subtitles. It would be awesome.

Anyway whatever happens I think the new owners are on to a winner with this drive-in. First the drive-in is close to a number of existing and proposed freeways so access to it is very good from the whole of south eastern melbourne. Secondly it is located next to a growth corridor where there is a very large growing population (Dandenong to Pakenham and down to Cranbourne). Finally it is located in or near to the drive-in black hole that we have in Melbourne - namely that residents in our South eastern suburbs live too far from either Coburg or Dromana drive-ins. It simply needs to provide good facilities and a good experience and it should be quite successful. I really think that Churros could be marketed as a special American treat not offered by any other drive-in in Melbourne. At present nowhere in Melbourne is it possibel to get real yummy Californian churros. One can buy Spanish Donuts at Victoria Market but these are not as sweet and yummy.

cheers Peter

Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2002 07:16 AM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Exclusive new photos of the Dandenong (Luna) Drive-in!

Unfortunately these photos were sent to me anonymously so I can't vouch for their accuracy.

First the main gate of the new Luna Drive-in
http://members.optushome.com.au/pberrett/spooky/dandenongpic1.jpg

And secondly a photo of the snack bar with the two screens in the background.
http://members.optushome.com.au/pberrett/spooky/dandenongpic2.jpg

Enjoy

cheers Peter

ps (don't take the above too seriously - afterwards check out http://www.drive-insdownunder.com.au/australian/vic_dandenong.htm )

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 07-28-2002 11:59 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing that might provide some chance for drive-in movie theaters to make a comeback would involve some needed improvements in car stereo gear. Many of us expect to have 5.1 surround sound in most standard movie theaters. If DVD and 5.1 music systems for autos can proliferate, and become more affordable to install then someday it might be possible to visit a drive in and simply hook into the theater's sound system and have the 5.1 audio playback generated inside the car.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-28-2002 09:10 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is no reason you can't enjoy 5.1 or even 8 channel earth-shaking surround sound in a Drive-In. Nearby neighborhoods may complain, but screw 'em. Just have tons of gigantic speakers surrounding the entire lot. This would work great for a multiplex drive-in of 24 or 36 screens. You could listen to the other movies while listening to yours! I also think drive-ins should have curtains on every screen, adjustable masking, and "stadium parking". Every big multiplex has a dedicated IMAX screen, so there should be an IMAX drive in as well.

Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2002 09:38 PM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I notice that the website asks us to show our support by e-mailing "Buddy". Is it really you "Buddy"? Congratulations and good luck!

Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2002 09:52 PM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry but I am not Buddy, nor do I run the drive-insdownunder.com.au web site. I am just an interested future patron.

cheers Peter

Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2002 05:08 AM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all again

I have some legit photos of the new Lunar Drive-in for all to see

1. Widescreen shot
http://members.optushome.com.au/pberrett/spooky/lunawidescreen.jpg

This is a 600k file so it takes a while to load. I took a series of shots from just outside the fenced off area used for weekend markets, and then spliced them together. It gives a 360 degree view of the drive-in. Notice the vacant area at the beginning of the photo which looks as though it will need some grading to prevent mud and water pools forming in inclement weather.

2. New screen

I have blown up one of the pictures. In the background you can see the diggings as foundations for screen 2 have begun to be installed.
http://members.optushome.com.au/pberrett/spooky/new%20screen.jpg

3. Playground
http://members.optushome.com.au/pberrett/spooky/playground.jpg

4. Original snack bar (looking tired and churro-starved).
http://members.optushome.com.au/pberrett/spooky/snackbar.jpg

cheers Peter

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2002 10:55 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, if the drive-in patrons in Austrailia are anything like like the ones we have here in Tennessee, most could care less about 5:1 or even 8 channel "earth shaking" surround sound. What we've found is that the typical drive-in patron is a totally different creature than your standard multi-plex patron. Drive-in customers sometimes rarely base their movie-going decision on what show is playing, but rather they are there to "experience" the drive-in. A night at the drive-in is not your typical 2 hours movie at the multi-plex, but rather an entire evening spent at one venue.
Most of the patrons we see lately at the drive-in are more of your "blue-collar" type of folks who are looking for a good value for their entertainment dollar. Some of the people we see are actually the "no-collar" types. (Those shirtless people you see handcuffed on COPS!!) More families with young kids nowadays than the stereotypical "teenage passion pit".

------------------
Barry Floyd
Floyd Entertainment Group
Lebanon, Tennessee

Stardust Drive-In Theatre
Watertown, Tennessee

Arthur Allen
Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2002 01:40 PM      Profile for Arthur Allen   Author's Homepage   Email Arthur Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It makes sense to locate the toilets indoors with doors coming from a redesigned snack bar.

The Blue Fox Drive-in of Oak Harbor, Washington has its restrooms (American for toilets) accessible only from the snack bar area. If you don't rush back there as soon as the end credits for the second movie start you're going to be shut out because they want to close up shop as soon as possible. Most drive-ins want to close their snack bars by the middle of the second feature to reduce costs.

Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2002 03:22 AM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Arthur

From memory the Coburg Drive-in here in Victoria keeps its snack bar open till quite late. The only problem is that the restrooms are located outside.

cheers Peter

Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2002 09:59 PM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No Peter, there really is a "Buddy", and he may even hang around here. Then again, maybe he's too busy building his new drive-in!

Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2002 10:11 PM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Dave

I thought that Buddy had the initals "DK" and had on occasions put posts on this group and also might have been employed in a senior technical position with a certain major film exhibition group here in Australia.

However the news I have seen suggested that Buddy's brother (?) "MK" might have been the person behind the drive-in venture. I could not see how MK could have retained his employment with the major film exhibition organisation and also run a drive-in in competition with that group.

Who is Buddy? Who is really behind the Lunar Drive-in? And what is the connection between the faked moon landings, NASA, the CIA and this new Drive-in Theatre? The truth is out there. Let the conspiracy stories begin!

cheers Peter

David Kilderry
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2002 10:49 PM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage   Email David Kilderry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Lunar Drive-in Dandenong is being built and will be operated by Matthew Kilderry and Anthony Madigan.

In my opinion, Barry is on the money, drive-ins offer low cost predominantly working class entertainment, that is certainly what we see at the Coburg Drive-in.

Peter, the original projection room is still in existance built onto the side of the snackbar, you can see it in the photos!.....but a brand new one I understand is being built nearby.

Village Jam Factory 15 sells genuine Churros and has done for some time.

David Kilderry

Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2002 07:19 AM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks David

I drove past South Yarra on my way home tonight - I wish I'd known earlier. I can see a churro munching visit to South Yarra coming soon.

I wish your brother luck with his new venture.

cheers Peter

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: