Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Regal 2002 Is Here!

Author Topic: Regal 2002 Is Here!
Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 07-27-2002 01:47 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Edwards finaly got the new revised Regal policy trailer yesterday.

It is mostly identical to the regal cinemas trailer with a few variations. The "control pannel" at the beggining is a little nicer looking; the display text at the bottom varries a bit from the original; some of the 3D models used are a little more refined; the music, although the same tune, seems to have a more complex & modern arangement; & It ends with the Regal Entertainment Group logo rather than the Regal Cinemas logo.

I don't know weather UA and original Regal Cinemas locations will switch to this one, however I imagine that they will.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-27-2002 05:51 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I do believe all Regal (Regal/UA/Edwards) will be playing this new trailer starting this week or next, whenever the prints are ready.

I saw a memo stating something to the effect of "if your old trailers are still playable and in good condition, to continue playing them until they wear". The only question is, who is that directed to??? Does that mean previous Regals who are now Regals should continue to play their old trailers, or if you are a UA or Edwards who's policy trailers are still in good shape that you should continue to play those? It wasn't clear, but I'm betting that only applies to actual "Regal" branded policy trailers.

Anyway if you are running an ex-UA or ex-Edwards theater and your policies are in nice shape, you might want to put them in a box and store them for awhile until the memo is made clear as to what they want you to do.

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2002 02:32 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The UA Cortlandt Stadium in Mohegan Lake (Westchester County) NY is now using Regal 2002. Ugh!

I saw Regal 2002 in use last night with Austin Powers in Goldmember. To my eyes and brain Regal 2002 turns a UA into a Regal without the Regal logo. Another example of the Knoxville gang gutting what identity UA has left.

Why couldn't Regal have kept UA's Odyssey/Blade Runner or (better yet) "Magic Hands"? Those snipes could be easily updated with the Regal logo.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-12-2002 02:49 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
What's worse is that whoever gave the "ok" on the answer print is clearly not a projectionist and didn't know what he was doing. The sound starts IN THE LEADER, just like the good old UA trailers always did. No matter where you cut or what you do, the trailer always looks like someone in the booth did not know where to cut. Unbelieveable.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2002 03:39 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Regal rollercoaster trailers (versions used before and after the "Pepsi Girl" trailer) all had the sound start in the leader too, so they were shown either with the sound cut off or frames of leader at the beginning. Of course, for a while it was Regal's POLICY to put trailers together like one didn't know what they were doing

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 08-12-2002 08:02 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These are likely from producers who've only done television work. AP screenings were probably using the trailer leader as thread-up, so the quick sound start wasn't noticed by the decision makers.

Making a theatrical trailer without at least a 30 frame offset in the start of the track (10 from the cut) is inexcusable!

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2002 11:02 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You guys are going to have to get used to the way Regal does things. I couldn't and left them in 2000. GOOD LUCK!

------------------
"Running through life at 24 frames per second"

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2002 11:18 AM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bumping this up top for Frank Angel.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2002 01:02 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The UA policies were by far the most imaginative, IMHO. I think I have a beat-up Bladerunner and Magic Hands on acetate somewhere here. Does/Did UA still use those laserdiscs for their lobby TVs with the policy trailers on them? Would it be possible, now that they are out of circulation, to post high-res files of the policy trailers from the laserdiscs? Or is there some stupid copyright law preventing that? Is there a way I can get copies of them legally? I sure do ask a lot of questions, don't I?

=TMP=

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 08-15-2002 04:59 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I second that request. It would be great to have quicktimes available of well made policy trailers. IMHO, the theatres should host them in the multimedia section of their website (i think loews used to do that).

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 08-15-2002 05:16 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do not know how many of you had visited Hawaii and took the time to see a movie at Pacific's (Consolidated) Theatres but the "Ancient Hula" policy trailer that the chain use at the beginning of each show has been running for several years now and I love it and never get tired of watching it when they play it. The trailer is mixed for multi track sound but has only an SRD track beside the analogue SR.

-Claude

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: