Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » US Campaign for Logo-Free TV! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: US Campaign for Logo-Free TV!
Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2002 01:47 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.logofreetv-usa.com

|  IP: Logged

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2002 04:17 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, who the phugg decided to put dark blue text against an only slightly lighter shade of blue background? I do not feel like straining to read any of the links, so I only read the front page.

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2002 04:30 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

The TV stations may be doing this for the same rason Thomas Edison had the scenery in his early films painted with an "AB" logo for
American Biograph. There were no copyrights on early films, until
Edison printed an entire reel on a continuous strip of paper and sent it to the U.S. Patent Office with a check for $0.50 to protect his copyright. Itwas common practice to pirate film reels in nickolodeon days, but the logo fully visible on the canvas backdrop in each scene would indicate the real production company.

My TV has the option of displaying the time and channel should I wish to see it, but I agree having the broadcaster keeping a logo there against my wishes is certainly annoying.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2002 08:41 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that the logos are irritating as hell. Especially when a show returns from commercial, and for 15-30 seconds some huge obnoxious animated graphic is dancing on the screen telling me that some show I could care less about will be on that network next week. I look around for a mouse to close that "popup"...

Other stations tell you what's coming up next or what you're watching on the channel at random intervals. Oh yes, by all means distract my viewing to remind me what I am watching!!

The worst, by far, is "The New TNN." This network has some good programming sometimes, but their little logo thingy takes up an ENTIRE BAR at the bottom of the screen, with their logo, and "text-slides" of info on their dumb station, what program you are watching, what's up next, what's on tomorrow, etc. etc. Not to mention, the image is sqished vertically to accomodate for this thing, and it changes colors with every new message. WHY?!?!

Think I'll just go to the movies... Or maybe they'll stick a studio logo in the corner eventually, so you'll know that Brand-X studio's films are the best.

It's time to put a stop to this nonsense.
=TMP=

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 07-24-2002 01:26 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno, fellas. It doesn't bother me all that much.

To be honest, with so many gosh-darn channels, it's kind-of nice to be reminded of what channel I'm on.

I'll tell you what I really, REALLY like...

...and you'll probably just HATE me for this one...

...when they flash up the name of the show that you're watching and, sometimes, a reminder of what's coming on later in the evening, or later in the week. I like those a lot. I think TNT makes a habit out of doing those. They're really handy because then I don't have to go to the TV Guide channel (or the internet) to figure out what the heck I'm watching at 2am.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-24-2002 05:46 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hate those station logos, too. They are definitely one of the worst ideas of the '90s. It is ironic, though, that they web page that complains about the ugly logos is, itself, quite ugly.

On the same topic, I'll put in a complaint about a similar practice in the radio world: stations that play short advertisements for themselves ("you're listening to WXXX-FM!") every few seconds (it seems). What a waste of time (except to the ratings people, of course!).

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 07-24-2002 05:55 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Canada the CRTC requires that all TV and radio stations 'identify themselves' a set number of times per hour. That way when your're in your airplane and can't hear anything on the airports frequency but the local radio station (that is broadcasting all over the place because their transmitter got hit by lighting) you know who to call and bitch at. Actually had this happen before.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 07-24-2002 07:14 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
>>Avoid-commercial media. You can rent movies instead of watching TV programs, go to the cinema, theatre, or attend live music performances. You can read books, or listen to local/satellite radio.<<

Yeah...THAT'LL show 'em!

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 07-24-2002 10:33 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But, Gerard, in most cases, the station doesn't make any of the TV shows that it airs and, as you know, the copyright problem has been solved.

I think you mean that they want to make sure that nobody gets a "clean" copy, eh?

Adam Fraser
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-24-2002 12:37 PM      Profile for Adam Fraser   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Fraser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott,
The other 1/2 owner of our theatre used to be a radio announcer and said that it was regulated that radio stations had to identify themselves every so many minutes. This was in the U.S.

------------------
Adam Fraser
www.pinestheatre.com

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-24-2002 12:48 PM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Radio stations are only required to identify themselves once an hour, and then all they need is call letters followed by city.
No dial setting, no nickname, no nothing else.
Should be done at the begining of the hour or first natural break.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-24-2002 12:49 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wish they had a deal where, when you switch to a channel, the name of the show would display on screen for a couple of seconds, but it would not appear otherwise. Don't some of the satellite companies do this? I don't know squat about satelite TV.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-24-2002 01:22 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I understand the concept of the "legal ID" that radio and TV stations need to broadcast periodically, but that's not my complaint. At least in the Boston market, it's common to give the call letters (and usually some "cute" plug for the station) every few minutes. This applies to all kinds of formats and it seems to be done for the purposes of the Arbitron ratings (since people need to know what station they are listening to in order to write it in their diaries). I often listen to the WBZ morning news, which is one of the worst offenders here--they play an ad for themselves at nearly every commercial break.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-24-2002 01:54 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a short stint at a radio station and they were only legally required to give their call letters once every hour- the rest of the ID's played in between songs just said "104.3: The Breeze" (a boring smooth-jazz format, it's a Spanish station now) Using the TV mentality, they'd just play the ID's continously over the music! I often can't find the right AM talk station I'm looking for, and since it's just people talking why not play IDs continuously in the background? (Yes, I'm JOKING!)
The place I moved into last year had the cable left on so I was getting free cable for a few months, and I'd check it periodically just to be disgusted at what was on. They eventually turned it off and I never bothered to unpack my rabbit ears, so for the past few months I've been getting NO TV at all, and I don't miss it one bit!

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-24-2002 08:31 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! I've got an idea... why don't theaters play their policy trailer between each reel? That way, you will always know what theater you are at, so if you get a quality presentation, you will know where to come back!!

=TMP=

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: