Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Visiting LA, where to see DLP?

Author Topic: Visiting LA, where to see DLP?
David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 04-23-2002 04:22 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be in the LA/Orange County area on 4/30 and 5/1, would like to take in a DLP show. But can't seem to find much info about DLP on any theater web pages. For example, the El Capitan is DLP-equipped but their web site doesn't seem to mention DLP (unless I'm blind). If anyone knows of a for-sure DLP show running in LA or Orange County next week, would appreciate the tip (prefer live action over animated but will take what I can get). I also plan to check out ArcLight while I'm there.

|  IP: Logged

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2002 04:47 PM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check out technicolordigital.com

This will show current installation and what they MAY currently be showing on screen.

Paul.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 04-23-2002 05:02 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Paul. "The Rookie" is listed in DLP at the El Capitan, would like to see that. But the El Capitan ticket selling page is pretty lame. Doesn't list The Rookie at all; says "Lion King" tickets are not on sale but will let you select showtimes. Bogus. Will have to check next week I guess. (actually it looks like all the Lion King shows are already sold out)

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 04-23-2002 05:54 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do believe that the El Cap doesn't run film at all anymore (not counting the backup print for the DLP)

-Aaron

Aaron Haney
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2002 06:26 PM      Profile for Aaron Haney   Email Aaron Haney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Critic Ross Anthony went to see "The Rookie" at the El Capitan, and the DLP image quality was so bad it actually made him think it was shot on video:

http://rossanthony.com/R/rookie.shtml

The cinematographer on the film, John Schwartzman, sent him an e-mail explaining that the movie was in fact shot on film, and the ensuing exchange is rather interesting. You can see Schwartzman's e-mails and Anthony's replies at the bottom of the page I just linked to.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 04-23-2002 06:40 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aaron, thanks for that link. Interesting stuff. I thought it looked GREAT in 35mm. Hope I get a chance to see it at the El Capitan (or anywhere).

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2002 08:21 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are a FEW shows now and then that the El Capitan shows on film (they have a Saturday morning Disney classics show each week...earlier this year they screened SLEEPING BEAUTY in 70mm). Also, I understand that the Mann Chinese 6 has been showing certain titles in DLP without advertising it, for blind test-marketing purposes.

But it is true most of the new releases are in DLP at the El Capitan (but I don't remember either SNOW DOGS or PEARL HARBOR being advertised that way).

BTW, The Lion King ad you see on the El Capitan's page is actually for the stage production at the Pantages down the street.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 04-23-2002 09:58 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also the AMC Media Center 8 in Burbank has had DLP running on one screen since Phantom Menace. Other DLP screens in SoCal seem to come and go based on demand.

Check the Sunday LA Times Calendar section before you go--they are usually pretty good about listing DLP screenings in the stack ads.

If you're going to be in Hollywood at the El Cap you might try to get into the ETC which is also right down the street. El Cap (nee Paramount), Pantages, Egyptian (American Cinematheque), ETC (nee Warners Hollywood), Chinese, and Kodak are all within a few blocks of each other--Metro Red Line stops right in front of Pantages and Kodak/El Cap. Arclight is close too (about a mile), on Sunset at Ivar. All-in-all a very interesting area to visit for a theatre fan.

Paul
SMPTE Hollywood Section
Gimpy Projectionist
Crown Neonopolis 14
Las Vegas, NV USA

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 04-24-2002 11:39 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ArcLight is definitely on my agenda, followed by DLP someplace if possible. Coincidentally I will be staying for a day right in that area where all those theaters are concentrated, so may be able to take in multiple stuff if time allows. It appears that Lord of the Rings is showing in the renovated Cinerama Dome; would like to check that out too.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 04-27-2002 01:30 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I understand that the Edwards Irvine Spectrum theatre has a DLP.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: