Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Another Seattle Theatre goes dark

Author Topic: Another Seattle Theatre goes dark
Peter Kerchinsky
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2002 04:57 AM      Profile for Peter Kerchinsky   Email Peter Kerchinsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's official now, Landmark is closing the Broadway Market Cinemas on April 20th. The theatre is located on Seattle's Capitol Hill.
The 4-plex has been operating since 1989.
Word is mall management has leased the space out to a gym.
I worked the theatre for about 4 years and the only big hits I had were BOYS DON'T CRY, BEST IN SHOW and TOPSY TURVY.
I guess the addition of a 11 plex GCC cinema and a 16 plex Cineplex multi-plex downtown put the screws to this place.

|  IP: Logged

Thomas Hauerslev
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2002 07:03 AM      Profile for Thomas Hauerslev   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Hauerslev   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the Copenhagen suburb of Husum, the former 70mm-equipped "Bio" (April 23, 1955 - April 30, 1989) is turned into a gym. For those of you who are keen on the Danish language, here's a brief outline of : "Husum Bio".

Old tickets and pictures are now displayed in the former foyer. Quite nice and a better alternative than a wrecking ball.

------------------
Cheers, Thomas
..in70mm - The 70mm Newsletter
www.in70mm.com www.dp70.com www.70mm.dk www.hauerslev.com http://hjem.get2net.dk/in70mm

Arthur Allen
Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2002 10:18 AM      Profile for Arthur Allen   Author's Homepage   Email Arthur Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw lots of movies at the Broadway Market. "The Straight Story" was great, clean with bright colors, due in part to a limited release and limited print run. "Topsy Turvy" was awful, with too much vertical shaking, especially in one reel late in the movie. They really should have ordered replacements.

This theater seemed to replace a single screen theater down the street that was changed to a drug store soon after the Broadway Market opened. The replacement didn't last long.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 04-04-2002 07:28 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Cinematour: Broadway Market Cinemas

Paul Harnden
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-05-2002 08:30 PM      Profile for Paul Harnden   Email Paul Harnden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's fascinating what they can turn theaters into and also what they can turn into theaters. I once closed down a 12-plex that was converted from a department store. The thing was in the main booth there were about three or so large gurders than ran diagonally through the center of the room. Moving prints back and forth was a chore in itself. For all of those Washingtonians I'm talking about the ol' Alderwood 12 by the Chuckie Cheese's in Lynnwood.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: