Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Water was not meant for electronics (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Water was not meant for electronics
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-31-2002 04:24 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
One would think the fine folks at SW Bell would know this, but apparently not. For those of you who noticed, we were down for a little over 22 hours today as the T1 connection died just about this time yesterday. We had a good amount of rain here, but nothing of "flooding" levels. So what happened? You're gonna love this...

A couple of miles away there is a large "technology park", which has many T1 lines. Ours runs right through there. Apparently some bonehead from SW Bell was out working on their phone lines a day or two ago at one of those little junction boxes that you see every now and again sticking up out of the ground. This bonehead did his work and then left...forgetting to close the door to the box! It rained and viola, massive short!

Anyway, we're back.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-31-2002 04:26 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You should sue them. If you don't I will sue you.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 03-31-2002 12:46 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I noticed problems trying to get on.....before FT crashed solidly, it was funny to try and watch it load. I thought someone had too many martoonies...

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2002 12:49 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Obviously a terrorist attack...

------------------
Greg Mueller
Amateur Astronomer, Machinist, Filmnut
http://www.muellersatomics.com/

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 03-31-2002 12:52 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
I got really upset when the site went down. I trashed the booth like a rock star with brown M&Ms and pushed a Genie lift down the stairs.

Okay, so I didn't really trash the booth, and the Genie lift thing had nothing to do with the website ...

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 03-31-2002 01:07 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Funny I took notice and I thought Joe had done it in a fit of rage.

However Paul is close, it drove me straight to the Beefeater's Gin Bottle and I ended up being the joke of a bunch of posts.

Now I know how it feels.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-31-2002 01:44 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got really upset when the site went down. I trashed the booth like a rock star with brown M&Ms and pushed a Genie lift down the stairs.

Brown M&M's.....Sounds like Van Halen to me. Back in 1982 no brown M&M's allowed in the bowl. Do you know what Rock group would play the venues After Van Halen did and request all the brown M&M's that they Didn't want?

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 04-01-2002 12:12 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Funny!

A large part of my job, now, has a lot to do with going over contract riders. Haven't come up agains a "No Brown M&Ms" clause yet but a lot of people request a certain type of beer. Usually, I'm happy to oblige on that front. Mainly because me and the stage hands get to drink the leftovers.
Just a couple of weeks ago I had to go through hell and high water to obtain a double manual harpsichord for one of the groups that played on our stage. (A classical chamber orchestra.) Every time I hear harpsichord music it gives me the willies. I'll never be the same again.

I hear that Pavarotti is a real bastard to work for. There's a rumor that he has to be allowed to walk the entire stage, looking for a bent nail. If he doesn't find one he won't go on. I wonder if one of their "advance men" goes to each venue and makes sure there is a nail for him. (Among other things.) I have been half-seriously thinking about pounding in a "Pavarotti Nail" just for good luck in case he ever does play here. (Quite a long shot but it never hurts to be prepared! )

And... I did notice that the site was down yesterday. I knew it had to be something serious because Brad's quite the stickler about keeping the site up. I figured he/they would have it back on in a little while. Still, makes a great story.

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2002 09:52 AM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I was unable to get on the site for most of Easter weekend and after doing some traceroutes and noticing that I could get everywhere else on the net (from two different domains), I concluded that the problem was at or near the film-tech end.

Fortunately, last night it was back up so there was no danger of film-tech withdrawal symptoms becoming severe enough to endanger my life.

------------------
Evans A Criswell
Huntsville-Decatur Movie Theatre Information Site

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-01-2002 12:36 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For more funny contract riders, check out: www.thesmokinggun.com/backstagetour/index.html

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-01-2002 06:32 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, OK, I gave you guys time to answe my question but I guess you do not know the answer so here it is.

It was The Rolling Stones who ate all the brown M&M's that Van Halen didn't want.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-01-2002 07:32 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Evans! You? Withdrawal symptoms? You're hardly here anymore, unless I'm just not reading the right threads. You didn't go out and get a life on us, did you? We lose more Film-Techer's that way.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 04-02-2002 05:00 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Randy: Sounds like Pavarotti's being a bit paranoid to me. Once he'd walked on that nail it would have been deeply embedded in the floorboard!

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2002 05:30 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greg: That was no terrorist attack! It was some Bush crony doing some payback for all the good things we Film-Techers do.

I will admit that this thread reminds me of a "Blast from the Past" in the Film Handler's Forum: "Smart Mod II-C is NOT meant for Rap Music".

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 04-02-2002 08:09 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If Norm Schneider, the owner of Smart, feels there is a market he will create a special RapModII....with sampling and scratch features plus a stainless steel finish
In Miami Bellsouth and their green broadband boxes have been constant targets from people using chain cutters to rip out the components to be sold to someplace in Latin America...worst outage we had was 15 days last year....so we have added sufficient new backups.
Analog service is the pits and we have had problems with our four lines for the last three months...which they promise to fix next Monday.....
Richard Fowler
TVP-Theatre & Video Products Inc. www.tvpmiami.com

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: