Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » The Ziegfeld

Author Topic: The Ziegfeld
Daniel Boisson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2002 08:11 PM      Profile for Daniel Boisson   Email Daniel Boisson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went to the Ziegfeld theatre in NYC today. My girlfriend and I saw ice age. What an amazing theatre it is. Everything is so beautiful. I was even lucky enough to be let into the booth and talk with the projectionist. I didn't realize the movie was projected digitally until I saw the Projector. I'm gonna have to go down to the city specifically to see a movie there when something good's playing.

------------------
3% Body Fat. 1% Brain Activity.

|  IP: Logged

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 03-27-2002 09:31 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you read "The History of this Wood?"

There use to be two Ziess projectors there which (I thought) projected a pretty good picture. But then they changed them out for some JJ's, I think because it was too hard to get parts. I guessing one of the JJ's were removed to fit the video. The booth's not that big.

A lot of projection and sound equipment has passed through that place.

Daniel Boisson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2002 09:45 PM      Profile for Daniel Boisson   Email Daniel Boisson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
no, I probably missed it.
There are two century projectors there currently, and then the digital. Between the platter and the digital equiptment, there was very little room.

------------------

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-28-2002 10:31 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw a lot of shows in 70mm at the Ziegfeld. It was my favorite theater in Manhattan. At least it is still standing.

The Northpark #1 theater in Dallas was a house I liked every bit as much as the Ziegfeld (partly because it was as big as the Ziegfeld and also because its sound and projection were top notch --Brad Miller and Ron Beardmore saw to that on a regular basis). But Northpark is no more. I still mourn its loss.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 03-29-2002 08:11 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the top of the esclators, there's a plaque that says, "The History of this Wood" and it tells the story of the wood that frames the door.

Daniel Boisson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2002 09:40 PM      Profile for Daniel Boisson   Email Daniel Boisson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I might have glanced at it. Thanks to my girlfriend, we were 10 minutes late, so we were kinda rushing. I even missed the curtains opening as I understand they do.

------------------

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: