Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Lord of the Rings Robbed (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Lord of the Rings Robbed
Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2002 12:40 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not talking about the best picture and best director categories-though I do think LotR should have won those. No, I'm talking about the best adapted screenplay category. Anyone who has read the book knows how hard of a job Jackson and company had in writing this script. They had to cut it down so the movie wouldn't be over four hours but at the same time get all of the major plot elements in there and somehow keep the tone of the book. They did this marveously and if LotR hadn't won for any other cateogry it should have been a shoe in for Best Adapated Screenplay.

Bah, just a big popularity contest anyway. As long as one of the next two gets it I geuss I'll be sated.

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 03-25-2002 01:29 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LotR is an amazing achievement in filmmaking. But it was a foregone conclusion that a hugely-successful effects-driven movie will not win in any major category such as director or picture. Taking that book and making sense out of it in a 3-hour movie is not trivial, and they did it very well. I'll bet if the vote counts were revealed, the voting was probably actually pretty close and LotR may have placed a close 2nd in the major categories.

If the 2nd and 3rd installments live up to the quality of the 1st, I'll be the Academy voters will honor them somehow.

Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2002 04:04 PM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
French judge???

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2002 09:56 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe the fact that it was impossible to transform the book into a good sceenplay was the reason nobody had tried to actually make an adaptation yet. It wasn't a good adaptation of a novel, it was just a good movie. That's why it shouldn't have, and didn't, win best adaptation.

------------------
"Asleep at the switch? I wasn't asleep, I was drunk!" - Homer Simpson

Craig Hanham
Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2002 03:51 PM      Profile for Craig Hanham   Email Craig Hanham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chad thats Fightin' talk.

IMHO it was an excellent adaptation.
But then again my girlfriend who saw LoTR a week after reading the book had some problems with some of the artistic license.

But any movie that can get 13 nominations can't be all bad; it still managed to pick up 4 of the wee blokes. And in the year when American films had to win and justifiably so.

Edited. I'll take the last bit back not funny or clever, just my twisted mind.

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2002 09:13 PM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why did American films have to win?

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 03-26-2002 11:47 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The reason these so called American Films won is mainly because the Oscars are part of an American Organization. They do quite often recongnize foriegn accomplishments outside of the foriegn movie category, such as this time not all films that won were made by anyone that is american. The only americans in Moulin Rouge I think were John Leguizamo, and I am not even sure if there were any others. Baz Luhrman and Nicole Kidman are both australian, and Obiwan Kenobi is from Tattoine.

Russell Crowe is Australian, so A Beautiful Mind becomes less of an american film. Its all in the perspective I guess.

Dave

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2002 12:21 AM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I knew that was why American films usually win, but Craig made it seem like they HAD to win THIS year for some reason.

Gordon Leslie
Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2002 04:45 AM      Profile for Gordon Leslie   Email Gordon Leslie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Dave , but Russell Crowe is a New Zealander spends most of his free time down here like most kiwi's. Nicole Kidman is'nt a true blue ozzie either , she was born in Hawaii. We can't even claim Mel Gibson !, he was born in New York . Aussie's lose again.

Gordon Leslie
Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2002 10:51 AM      Profile for Gordon Leslie   Email Gordon Leslie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Further to my post above ,……. I must also add how farcical to me ,( and others ) the Academy Awards have now become. To me personally I do feel , for the various actors ( black , white , chinese , or whoever ), and crews of all films produced over the last 5 - 8 years, how now the awards have become a who's in …..and who's out , of the academy fraternity. I must admit , I'm a pretty easy going person , I take things pretty much as they come , BUT! ! , I've been in the movie game now for the last 32years and I must admit its been pretty disappointing , I should say bloody disappointing! Or should I say very , very confusing……..NO, I should say its been and absolute disgrace , how the so called "BEST" is arrived at is now beyond me ,and my colleagues and probably many readers of this site. It would appear who does the most lobbying is successful , not , it would seem how good a performance is portrayed . It all seems to come down to lobby groups for the various actor / director/ producer groups . I started to have my doubts, when Kim Bassinger picked up an award for La Confidential . Russell Crowe who played an outstanding roll in this movie walked away with nothing ………..even though many critics raved about his performance. And what really got me was , in the media recently for the current awards , it was reported that " Russell blew his chances for another back to back best actor award due to his indiscretions with a certain tv director in London.
Pardon me please………….. Russell put in an outstanding performance for "Beautiful Mind"……… BUT! because of his indiscretion , he misses out…. I thought I was under the impression "OSCARS"where presented by the Academy for performances on the screen. Yes/no? , not whether you washed the dishes , washed mums car etc.
We are now all confused !. …………………….. What are the real reasons ?.
Are these really U.S awards …..or worldwide awards.?

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 03-27-2002 03:31 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok so Russell Crowe is from New Zealand as apposed to Austrailia. Its all the same to us. Its like saying someone is from New York instead of from LA. Here in the USA, we dont get it, and most of us probably dont care.

I know I have never been to either, and never will. I don't fly, and I don't swim. So unless someone builds a road, I stay on dry ground.

Dave

Aaron Haney
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2002 03:54 PM      Profile for Aaron Haney   Email Aaron Haney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was a mediocre adaptation. It was dumbed down, lacked sophistication, and there were unnecessary changes to character motivation. (Case in point: Gandalf's death was changed from an intentional self-sacrifice into a stupid near-accident.)

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-27-2002 04:11 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The point that seems to be missed is that the acadmey is made up of members from the production industry that vote in each of there respective fields based on there own points of view (however derived)
And being a private body they are not responsible to any one or organization as to how they carry out that process. The public precieves it probably with more importance than it rates but it is based on a judging by ones peers in the industry not on general public or exhibiton which is outside production.
One must also remeber that the films must be screened in LA area as well

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 03-28-2002 02:56 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
THANK YOU!!!

I could have said the same thing, but said something else instead.

Dave

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2002 08:34 AM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LOTR didn't exactly get robbed. Thanks to Miramax -- which originated the project to begin with -- LOTR still got Oscars for cinematography, makeup, original score, and visual effects.

The Miramax connection is important because the Weinstein brothers got themselves attached to LOTR as executive producers after they put the project into turnaround.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: