Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Moulin Rouge bombs at the Oscars (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Moulin Rouge bombs at the Oscars
Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2002 02:18 AM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
<Flame gear on>

Well the votes are in and the announcements have been made.

Moulin Rouge is NOT best picture and Nicole Kidman is NOT best actress. At last the Academy has shown some good taste.

Catherine Martin did however win Best Costume Design and also Best Art Direction for the film. I have no difficulties with these awards as it was quite a showy film. It just illustrates that this film is much like Sydney - lots of glitter and glam but not much substance. (Spoken as a true Melbournite)

Pity about Amelie not picking up any statues but as I have not seen seen 'No Mans Land' I cannot compare. At any rate Amelie's success both in the US and overseas is reward enough.

cheers Peter

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-25-2002 02:40 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IMHO the best Oscar result was Murder on a Sunday Morning winning best documentary. Hopefully this will kick-start a proper release.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 03-25-2002 03:29 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Peter,

This post just proves there is no hope for you.

------------------
"It's not the years honey, it's the mileage". - Indiana Jones.

Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2002 04:50 AM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok John

I'm a hopeless case.

I think its a good idea not to take these awards too seriously. What is really important is that we have some films to enjoy or not to enjoy as the case may be.

I was just running my eye through past winners of awards and noted that there is a distinct bias against comedies and musicals. Perhaps the Academy does not take such films too seriously?

I'd like to see a category included for Best Comedy or Musical to recognise that there is more to life than just 'serious' filmmaking.

cheers Peter

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 03-25-2002 04:57 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Peter

Yes, you are a hopeless case. You're just jealous because Celine Dion was not nominated for anything.

------------------
"It's not the years honey, it's the mileage". - Indiana Jones.

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2002 08:50 AM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Celine Dion should never be nominated for ANYTHING.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2002 09:12 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I figured LOTR would sweep, as everyone loved the book and they're all hobbit heads at heart. What I didn't count on was "The Year of The Affirmative Action Oscars". Oh well, not a giant surprise from the land that coined the phrase "PC". Personally I feel that the academy has for to long ignored the efforts of German/English heritage, Americans and I think more awards should go to them. I never agree with the academy anyhow

------------------
Greg Mueller
Amateur Astronomer, Machinist, Filmnut
http://www.muellersatomics.com/

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-25-2002 11:43 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LOTR did not win for the same reason E.T. did not win back in the day...it was fantasy, and it was too popular. It would've had a better chance if it had bombed.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 03-25-2002 02:21 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Titanic was very popular and a success, and it swept the oscars.

I think the big robbery was giving the best supporting actor to Jim Broadbent for Iris. He has had better performances, and deserved it for Moulin Rouge, although not nominated for that one.

As for good taste? the academy is hardly known for good taste. Moulin Rouge was in my opinion far and away the best picture of the year. But substance won over glitz and glamour for a change.

Dave

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2002 09:50 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think they are actually going to change the name from the Academy Awards to the Quota Awards. I agree with Greg. The whole night was affirmative action. Answer me this. Halle Berry had a black father who abandoned her at a youg age, right? She has a white mother that was at the awards ceremony, and she thanked her during her speech, indicating that she is closer to her mother than said father. So, why is she up there blubbering like a 4 year old that lost her puppy about how great a time it is for african-americans? I guess I just don't understand why people are so infatuated with labels (first black woman to win, first black man since Sidney to win...) and they have to make such a big deal of "Look, we give awards to minorities too!" Why are people like Tiger Woods who have mixed parents disected when they achieve greatness, so that each race involved can stake a claim to their percentage? I personally think it's that sort of thing that keeps lines drawn between people.

On a side note, where did Will Smith go?

------------------
"Asleep at the switch? I wasn't asleep, I was drunk!" - Homer Simpson

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-25-2002 09:53 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well the academy is a private organization of industry memebers and as such really isn't responsible to any outside group to justify its decisions so if they decide title x is best picture so be it it is no more diffenet than the film-tech community vote title y as its best picture

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-25-2002 09:57 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's why we have the peoples choice awards.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 03-25-2002 11:22 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Why are people like Tiger Woods who have mixed parents disected when they achieve greatness, so that each race involved can stake a claim to their percentage? I personally think it's that sort of thing that keeps lines drawn between people.

You mean dissected, like what you just did to Halle Berry?

quote:
Halle Berry had a black father who abandoned her at a youg age, right? She has a white mother that was at the awards ceremony, and she thanked her during her speech, indicating that she is closer to her mother than said father. So, why is she up there blubbering like a 4 year old that lost her puppy about how great a time it is for african-americans?

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-25-2002 11:37 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmmm maybe because she is the first African american to win the Best actress academy award. She was the longshot just because of that. She had the right to shed those tears. She did mention her fathers name and thanked him before she thanked her mother and husband.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-25-2002 11:51 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To address Leo's comment, "Murder on a Sunday Morning" will air next Sunday Night on HBO after "Six Feet Under" as part of their America Undercover documentary series. It may not be a film release, but many people will have a chance to see this Oscar awarded documentary.

On the Halle Berry thing, I wouldn't call her win a politically correct thing or a "quota" thing. I thought her performance in "Monster's Ball" was worthy of an Oscar. Everybody is throwing around the "first black actress to win" thing when she also happens to be half-white as well. Denzel Washington put it best in a press conference when a reporter asked him when he thought black actors will simply be thought of as just "actors" without the color label. Denzel told the reporter he could start the trend now if he liked and just call Washington an actor in the report.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: