Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Altering a piece of history to make it politically 'correct'... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Altering a piece of history to make it politically 'correct'...
John Wilson
Film God

- posted 10-29-2001 06:43 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a couple of shots from the new ET, courtesy of dvdsewer.com

Here's the original shot with the FBI agents holding guns...

...and now here's the new one. Now they are holding very dangerous looking walkie talkies!

I think they look too dangerous. They should re-re-edit it and have them holding peace signs or maybe just a bunch of daisies. Or maybe they could just wave E.T. bye-byes.

Geez...Is nothing sacred?

Oh, and here's the new poster for those who haven't seen it...

|  IP: Logged

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-29-2001 07:30 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"E.T., this is the FBI, there is someone who wants to talk to you on these walkie talkies."

This is so sad and stupifying. I don't even know what to say. A couple years ago, I heard that Drew Barrymore was asking that all guns be removed from the film. At the time, it seemed like a ridiculous request, that would never be fulfilled. But now, here we are, images in hand. It honestly makes me very sad and upset. I am scared to see what's next on the digital chopping block.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-29-2001 07:32 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Pathetic! Just pathetic!

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-29-2001 07:57 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Come clean now John... come on. We know you really put those guns in that scene and them took them out again with your computer. It's the oldest trick in the book. The old walkie talkie/gun switcheroo. Shame on you

------------------
Greg Mueller
Amateur Astronomer, Machinist, Filmnut
http://www.muellersatomics.com/

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 10-29-2001 08:47 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also check out the DVD of Snow White....they did so much digital scrubbing they made many scenes look flat...oh that character shadow was some excess dirt in the frame ugh....my mother would turn in the grave since E.T. was her all time favorite....she was a serious two to three feature a week lady.
Richard Fowler
TVP-Theatre & Video Products Inc. www.tvpmiami.com

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-29-2001 09:11 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only one on the planet who did not care for E.T.? Sure it's good for kids ages 9 and under, but I was just bored and extremely uninterested. It's not as bad as Close Encounters of the Turd Kind, though. Now THAT was a boring ass movie!

Anyway, Drew Barrymore always gets what she wants because a few people on this planet think she's cute. I would think that being married to Tom Green would make her support guns so that she could shoot him!

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 10-29-2001 11:06 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whats Spielberg gonna do next? Both Matt Damon and Tom Hanks (and Spielberg as well but he still makes films with guns in them...at least until the E.T. reissue) support politicians that want to abolish the Second Amendment... Why don't they pressure Spielberg to release a gunless edition of 'Saving Private Ryan'? Sound unbelieveable? After this, who knows what can happen?. THIS CRAP HAS TO STOP.

Screw Drew. Shame on you Steven.

Hey Steven- Here's an idea! Why not leave in the guns and digitally remove DREW?!? Then you dont have to pay her any freaking royalties in the process!

/rant

-Aaron

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-30-2001 01:32 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LOL! That way Drew wouldn't be "associated" with the guns and everyone would be happy! I'd probably see the rerelease without Drew just for shits and giggles!

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 10-30-2001 03:19 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Curses Greg! Foiled again!

A gun-less Private Ryan...Very funny!

If it wasn't so sad it'd be funny. I am a big fan of Spielberg's work through to about 1985 when he hit producer and wanted an oscar. Temple Of Doom I think was the last film from him I truly enjoyed. I'm all for sprucing up the old rubbery guy (!) with some nice clean sound, maybe a couple of deleted scenes and some restoring of the print, but why oh why do he and George insist on altering these fine pieces of our culture?

I was reading elsewhere today of the scene in Star Wars Special Edition where George Lucas made Greedo shhot first in the cantina so Han wouldn't look like a scruffy looking Nerf herding scoundrel by shooting Greedo unprovoked. Hey, Han WAS a scruffy looking Nerf herder! Why change it so long after the fact? Did he think it would go un-noticed?

Why, indeed.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-30-2001 03:51 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know the scene is Star Wars of which you speak. My first impression was "What da hell?" I mean he missed by a mile. I don't remember seeing his finger(?) pull the trigger.

I think Jar Jar should be killed, even if he doesn't shoot first. Audiences around the globe would cheer in unison and the film would make twice as much money just from fans wanting to see the bastard die again and again.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 10-30-2001 04:32 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jar Jar should fall into a Saarlac pit-beast. Anakin should help him. That could be his first "kill" that turns him to the Dark Side of the Force.

John Anastasio
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2001 04:52 AM      Profile for John Anastasio   Author's Homepage   Email John Anastasio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll bet that not one of you noticed that the tires on those cars were retouched to change them from Firestones to B.F. Goodrich because of the safety issues! E.T. was also altered to make him more of an R78-15 with the water-repellent tread design.

Aaron Haney
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2001 05:25 AM      Profile for Aaron Haney   Email Aaron Haney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A while back, I heard this was coming, so I bought some used laserdisc copies of the movie, just in case. Now I'm glad I did.

I simply cannot believe it. F--- you, Steven Spielberg! You think all that money in your personal fortune came out of thin air? A movie like this belongs to the public! The people who made you rich deserve to be able to see the movie in its original form!

Don't get me started on the Star Wars trilogy. I can only hope that the Indiana Jones trilogy arrives on DVD unmolested.

quote:
Richard Fowler wrote:
Also check out the DVD of Snow White....they did so much digital scrubbing they made many scenes look flat...oh that character shadow was some excess dirt in the frame ugh....
I haven't seen it yet, but I wouldn't be surprised. I'm planning to put together a web page in which I list, with screenshots, as many cases of digital "cleanup" errors in DVDs I can find. Perhaps a little public embarrassment will cause the idiots who work in DVD production to pay more attention.

Carl King
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2001 08:21 AM      Profile for Carl King   Email Carl King   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad is right. It is pathetic. PC is just another way to do away
with individual rights of expression that you Americans hold so
dearly. It seems that some of your fellow citizens, as evidenced by
recent efforts to censor Bill Mahar and others,only like free speech if they agree with what is in the speech.

I don't think anyone shoult take Ms Barrymore too seriously, though.
After all, she has shown her lack of taste and intelligence by marrying Tom Green.

Heyward Garner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2001 08:41 AM      Profile for Heyward Garner   Email Heyward Garner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a shame that we can't get over this crap. Drew Barrymore (pardon what I'm about to say...) is a SLUT HOE. These films... If ANYTHING... Should be added to, not taken away from for stupid reasons. If a director wishes to change a scene or add stuff, that's his option to do so... Not to butcher the film and make it into a pile of horse dookie! I am in total compliance that this NEEDS TO STOP...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: